Brembo Brakes

DC-5 Mad

After only having had new discs and pads fitted 9 months ago we are experiencing problems with them sqeaking, they have been cleaned and this has not solved the problems.

Any Ideas?? :oops:

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
With brembo brakes unless you use genuine pads they will skweel like a pig all day long, Just ask any Evo owner.

celox performance

Advanced Member
Chris-DC5 said:
With brembo brakes unless you use genuine pads they will skweel like a pig all day long, Just ask any Evo owner.
I've got Brembo discs with Ferodo pads and yes they squeal like a pig :(

chiefpulsar

Advanced Member
That's true I currently own an evo and after Market pads are very noisey which is why I asked what pads you've got

DC-5 Mad

Yes we have got genuine Brembo pads and we got the from a Honda dealer did not fit ourselves so presume enough copper slip was put on, also had them looked at Monday so would have thought they would have said if it needed more. thinking of changing pads any idea which are better?

JT3173

Advanced Member
I would get a set of Mintex 1144's from PaulG on here.
The squeel to begin with but then they are silent and by god do they bite, but that will have also been due to his PaulG special discs that he does too. Just a thought for you................

jo3y

:( well that explains it then... I took my car to TDi North with squealing brakes, they said it was the Pagid pads, I knew these squealed as I had them on my VX220T so believed them when they recommended the Ferodo pads and said they wouldn't squeal at all.... guess they were wrong and have cost me a lot of money.

What would you guys recommend? Replacing the discs or switching back to brembo pads?

jay82

Advanced Member
mate when u buy brembo pads brand new they come with metal plates for each pad, if they weren't fitting the pads are mean't to squeal badly

DC-5 Mad

Cheers guys

Well all i think i can do is change the pads and go from there. After talking to a few mechanics that have experienced this with brembo i've been told that because the pads have no groove to remove the dust it simply builds up and causes them to sqeak. Being a high performance pad unless i'm not using them at a higher speed which is a better tempature for them they will cause noise at a lower one. So paying budget prices pays off. Apparantly!

Does this sound right or a con to buy new kit?.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I use ferodo pads with Paul G discs. I had a lot of problems with squeeling but found that I didn't have the oem anti-sqeel shims in. I bought a pair of oem pads and fitted the shims to my ferodo pads and haven't had any problems since.

qamvti

Advanced Member
DC-5 Mad said:
Cheers guys

Well all i think i can do is change the pads and go from there. After talking to a few mechanics that have experienced this with brembo i've been told that because the pads have no groove to remove the dust it simply builds up and causes them to sqeak. Being a high performance pad unless i'm not using them at a higher speed which is a better tempature for them they will cause noise at a lower one. So paying budget prices pays off. Apparantly!

Does this sound right or a con to buy new kit?.
Standard brembo pad and discs do not sequel simply as that, you need to talk to some other mechanics. You most have a another problem with the brakes or as said before they have not been fitted correctly. I have had my car for 3 years have never heard any sequel that I would be concerned about.

Paul G

Members
The groove in the pads is not to remove dust. It's a stress groove to help stop the pad cracking & also give's another leading edge to help give the pads a bit more bite....

As has been said, prob the anti-squeal shims from your old OEM pads were never refitted :idea:

Buy some new OEM pads from Steels Honda & they will have shims. Or if you wt the car to stop try some 1144 pads - but you will still need the shims that come wt the OEM pads...

Also the copper slip dry's out - best to use Ceratec when you fit them..

Hope that's a help

Paul.

Boukstraus

I've just had new discs and pads fitted front and back, at Honda dealer. No squeeling to report but a question, what size are the oem discs on the front for a DC5? I swear the old ones were bigger! Surlely the dealer couldn't have fitted smaller front discs???? Probably me, but i'm sure i can see more of the gubbins behind the disc than before.

DC-5 Mad

Maybe the shims are the problem then. I'll find out from another garage if they have been fitted if not i'll get some. Thanks for the advice guys this has started to get expensive!

Paul G

Members
Boukstraus said:
I've just had new discs and pads fitted front and back, at Honda dealer. No squeeling to report but a question, what size are the oem discs on the front for a DC5? I swear the old ones were bigger! Surlely the dealer couldn't have fitted smaller front discs???? Probably me, but i'm sure i can see more of the gubbins behind the disc than before.

The OEM frt discs are 300mm x 25mm..

Paul.

DC-5 Mad

Well! as a few of you have mentioned the shims are missing i found out today. I have contacted steels honda and they are sending me some new pads. i'm sure this will cure it.
Thanks people.