Brembo Caliper bolt stuck.

Dan34

Advanced Member
So went to change my discs and pads today and went to undo the bottom drivers side caliper bolt. It loosened off at first which was fine but then it started tightening up again :(

So I'm thinking that the thread in the caliper is fooked or the bolt is picking something up and thats why its tightening again...

I could keep trying to undo it with brute force but I fear i might shear the bolt or something.

Anyone ever had this problem or give me any tips on how to sort it? I foresee my bank account taking a big hit in the near future because of this...

Mark_teg

Staff member
Can you get some wd40 on the ends of threads and work it back and forth?

If you can see any threads, how do they look?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Can you get some wd40 on the ends of threads and work it back and forth?
Yeah we tried that and it didn't seem to make a difference :(

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
Hi, I had the same issue a couple of months ago, which resulted in a broken bolt.

I have fixed it by firstly drilling out the stuck bolt with a larger drill every time, after that i started milling with the Dremel to get the last pieces out and piece by piece I could remove the pieces of the stuck bolt. I rethreaded the caliper with 3 step tabs.

A couple of hours further and the caliper was good to go back on the car. The only thing was that they didn't had any spare bolts at Honda. That took a couple of weeks.

But I hope you can get it out without breaking it.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! haha

Hopefully mine won't snap, but I'm going to prepare myself and get the correct tap, new bolt etc ready for when I tackle it again!

martinj46

Advanced Member
Good luck! Mine snapped 3 bolts when I had to do a disc change. I bought new calipers and still have my old set sitting waiting to be drilled and re-threaded.

Keep soaking it in WD40 and gently trying. Don't put too much force on it though

Dan34

Advanced Member
martinj46 said:
Good luck! Mine snapped 3 bolts when I had to do a disc change. I bought new calipers and still have my old set sitting waiting to be drilled and re-threaded.

Keep soaking it in WD40 and gently trying. Don't put too much force on it though
3?! Blimey what a nightmare!

We checked the other 3 and luckily they all came out, not looking forward to doing this job lol.

Rom

Advanced Member
Threes things.

Lube
Heat
Patience

Heat is most reliable, but obviously you dont want to ruin the paint. Short of a blowtorch. Go for a drive, heavy on the brakes, get some heat into them, hopefully it will transfer enough to the bolt. Have the tools ready, then stop, whack it on full lock, and try and crack it off.
Lube works to an extent, but its getting it to penetrate down to where its seized.

Try some oil, rather than wd40, and even with wd, let it soak over night, try it a few times, soak again etc.
Its a fine line between working it back and forth enough to free it off, and it snapping.

Good luck

Dan34

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Threes things.

Lube
Heat
Patience

Heat is most reliable, but obviously you dont want to ruin the paint. Short of a blowtorch. Go for a drive, heavy on the brakes, get some heat into them, hopefully it will transfer enough to the bolt. Have the tools ready, then stop, whack it on full lock, and try and crack it off.
Lube works to an extent, but its getting it to penetrate down to where its seized.

Try some oil, rather than wd40, and even with wd, let it soak over night, try it a few times, soak again etc.
Its a fine line between working it back and forth enough to free it off, and it snapping.

Good luck
Not worried about ruining the paint, I'd much rather have new brakes haha.

We're probably going to give it another go at the weekend, will post up how I get on!

Its annoying as my EML light came on yesterday too, so now I need to buy the dreaded o2 sensor as well!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
its because or the dis similar metals and corrosion, i had this a few times on a few tegs, normally once its gone weird theres no hope other than breaking the bolt, heat or lube dont help,

Dan34

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
its because or the dis similar metals and corrosion, i had this a few times on a few tegs, normally once its gone weird theres no hope other than breaking the bolt, heat or lube dont help,
Yeah I figure as much! I'm preparing myself for the worst either way, so will see how it goes...

Dan34

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Good enough excuse to get some AP calipers :)
I tried to convince my mate (who helped me today) who works on Jordan's pirtek civic to get me some but he was having none of it! xthumbsdown