Brembo caliper thread

skerr406

Advanced Member
Bought a set off DC5 brembo calipers (for a civic fn2) but the thread for the brake line is stripped by someone crossthreading the bolt into it.

Can i get this re threaded?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Try and tap a new thread but make sure you clean out the hole extremely well so there's no excess swarf that can make its way inside the caliper, then bleed the fluid through on that side and make sure theres no fluid escaping between the thread of the new bolt.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
do you mean the banjo bolt?

you might find it is an odd thread size (i think it is a metric fine thread which are not common) . and as its alloy, if the thread is stripped, you probably cant simply rethread as there is unlikely to be enough material left there the cut a new decent thread into, this particular bolt's thread needs to be pretty tight so the banjo cant turn or fluid leak past.

it may be possible to fit a thread insert but this isnt always simple.

dont suppose you live anywhere near bristol? if you did i would happily take a look at it for you.

skerr406

Advanced Member
Its not the banjo bolt its the actual caliper thread where the banjo bolt screws into.

Unfortunately im up in scotland :(

tysonzane

The brake fluid line - banjo thread is a very hard one to helicoil. The problem is the threaded hole isn't very deep so the oversized tap will bottom out too early with no enough 'fresh thread'.

If its damaged enough it will be very hard to repair. Take it to an engineer shop and get their opinion on what you can and cant do to fix it.

A potential option would be to run a helicoil into a nut and then have the nut welded and completely sealed off above the thread hole. Its not ideal but it would work.

Just remember you dont want to take any risks when it comes to your brakes and your brake fluid. Not only are brakes obviously important but they are under alot of pressure and you wouldn't want something crucial like the banjo thread failing!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the biggest problem is the banjo bolt thread size is strange, its m10 x1.0mm (very odd pitch) so you will struggle , as above go to a decent engineering place and see what they can do, its also possible that brembo racing uk might have a solution,
I am seeing them on Monday at Silverstone so will ask.

tysonzane

The thread is a rare size but you can get them (I have one). They just don't come in the common sets - it'll have to be a one off order.

skerr406

Advanced Member
Well iv said to the people iv bought them from, they are really good blokes and im sure i can get the situation resolved. Im gonna send them back, i dont want to take the risk of doing any damage to it and then i wouldnt be able to return them.

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Had this problem on mine, as above the bolt thread is a very fine size and not common (from memory its a m10 x 1.25mm), once you have managed to get hold of one i bought a brembo caliper repair kit from ebay for about £15, you do have to grind the actual head of the bolt down a bit because it is just a tad to big, as above make sure you flush all the excess filings out. My caliper has been fine since with no trouble at all.