Britz dc5 bay refresh

Britz

Advanced Member
Hi guys thought I‘d introduce myself I‘m sam I‘ve been a member for a few years now but being excrement with computers and not knowing how to load images etc I‘ve never done a thread so thought it‘s about time so downloaded Tapatalk recently and thought I‘d give it a go I‘m a complete amateur and no idea what I‘m doing so we‘ll see how this goes lol.

Had my teg about 4 years now hers a few random pics from the summer

although in good condition I always felt the engine bay let it down so decided to bite the bullet strip it down and do a refresh over winter.

Reversed it out the garage to crack the hub nuts as there‘s not much room and thought it would be easier

Next removed the wings also thought this would be easier outside then back into the garage to do everything else.

Removed the rad and air con

Made sure to take loads of pics as I‘m no mechanic I just like tinkering with things lol

Removed various looms and other bits and bobs. Then moved on to the lower ball joints and driveshafts the driver side was really easy but the passenger side was an absolute bitch it took a lot of hammering to crack it then the drive shaft was the same it would not come out so had to remove the whole hub along with driveshaft still attached after many hits with a sledge hammer still wouldn‘t budge was gonna take it to a garage but decided to give it one last go and she finally came out

Then put the hub back together and reattached

After dismantling a few other bits it was time for the big day bought a crane and hooked the engine up and lifted her out

Next job was to separate the gearbox

Just sent it off to a local transmission company to be stripped the housing shot blasted 1st/2nd gear hub and synchros replaced along with all bearings/seals and a MFactory lsd fitted.

This is as far as I‘ve got hope you‘ve enjoyed the read there will be more updates to come

Picked up the gearbox today and am well pleased with the results the guys have done an amazing job on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britz

Advanced Member
Just a shame it‘s gonna be a while before I get to properly test it out lol

bennn

Advanced Member
Jesus that's some effort! Will be awesome when done!

Enjoying the read so keep it coming!

Britz

Advanced Member
Cheers mate hopefully it will all be worth it if I actually manage to get everything back together otherwise I‘ll have to break it for parts 😂

Britz

Advanced Member
Just a small update got all the brake lines out, most of the looms, scuttle panel wiper motor so only have the steering rack and a few other little bits and she‘s ready to go off for paint

Britz

Advanced Member
Just a small update got all the brake lines out, most of the looms, scuttle panel wiper motor so only have the steering rack and a few other little bits and she‘s ready to go off for paint

Anyone like my new steering rack

Britz

Advanced Member
So bit of a shit update my little Honda Civic vti which has been my trusted daily for 6 last years and been a pleasure to own was written off last week don‘t think I‘ll ever be able to replace it with another

The tegs pretty slow progress at the moment and hoping sorting all the shit out with the civic isn‘t gonna take up too much of my free time. I‘m still waiting for it to go off for paint at the moment but I‘ve managed to have a few bits cleaned up that I‘m really pleased with.

Britz

Advanced Member
Cars finally back from shot blasting and had a coat of epoxy primer nearly ready for the body shop and the rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

bennn

Advanced Member
Looks great mate. What did you clean the inlet manifold with? Looks like new. Might do mine while I'm waiting for new injectors to turn up!

Britz

Advanced Member
Cheers mate 👍. I had it vapour blasted so is as good as new another option is to spray it with aluma blast paint I did my steering rack with it and is a really good colour match to the original casting

Britz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Looks great. Should move this to the gallery (build threads area)
Thanks mate . I‘ll have a look see if I can figure out how to move it My understanding is pretty basic when it comes to technology lol

Britz

Advanced Member
Bit of an update been a busy few weeks cleaning and zinc plating every nut and bolt I‘m about halfway through lol I really wanted to send them off but due to all being In separate labelled containers I decided to have a go myself ant think I got an ok finish for an amateur

The utility looks like a meth lab

Also the bay has finally been painted which I‘m well pleased with how it came out

ste01

Advanced Member
Insane amount of work going into this. Loving the home made set up for electro plating the screws

Britz

Advanced Member
Bit more progress today

Brake lines in along with the wiring harness, fuse box, steering rack, new em2 clutch master cylinder and windscreen wiper motor

Britz

Advanced Member
Been a while since I updated so thought I‘d better keep the thread going it‘s a bit of big one lol

Got the engine and box back together and then got on to the manifold and other bits and bob‘s

Decided to upgrade the rad as mine had seen way better days can‘t believe how skinny the oem is compared to the Mishimoto

Wasn‘t gonna bother under sealing but thought it‘s better having more protection so went with dynax ub

Subframe and other bits back from being shot blasted/ powder coated and new wheel bearings and
RCA‘s fitted

Finally time to get the engine in this was a complete nightmare as there‘s no space whatsoever and having fresh paint all around had to be super careful literally lowered it millimetres at a time

Joys of not having a workshop it‘s covered in bits of tree and plants already

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Looks great. Well jealous. You getting some protection in under the scuttle? I've put s50 in mine along with the other cavities.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Britz

Advanced Member
Cheers mate 👍. No I didn‘t even think about it to be honest mate but that ain‘t a bad idea think I‘ve got some s50 lying about somewhere so I‘ll probably have a go