Broke down tonight, Now Fixed

macer

Advanced Member
Was driving on the motorway tonight only doing 50 kph when I heard a loud banging from under the bonnet that went away after about 3 seconds but them my battery light came on, and as I went to turn off the road I noticed my power steering was gone then came the engine check light followed by the warning from the water temp gauge, so as you could image I was thinking O Crap that’s not good. :shock:
Got the car pulled in and had a look under the bonnet and yep you guessed it the water & steering pump belt has snapped. It’s totally my own fault, it was past its replace by date and it’s the first time I drove since a trackday last week.

Hopefully there is no other damage as I tuned off the engine before it got over heated. What other kind of damage could this cause?
Think I should get the timing chain done also

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
none, just change the belt all should be ok, the TC won't be affected by alt belt breaking

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
since we are on the topic...any belts i have to change on my car. i have 60K now and all i do is change fluids and also change my spark plugs last week.

logik

Advanced Member
No mate you should be ok. Its a chain and not a belt. Just have it looked at incase it needs tightening. Other belts should be ok.

@ macer - Hope you get sorted soon mate.

macer

Advanced Member
logik said:
No mate you should be ok. Its a chain and not a belt. Just have it looked at incase it needs tightening. Other belts should be ok.

@ macer - Hope you get sorted soon mate.
Yea I know it’s not the chain, game over if that went. I’m more curious would the belt flying off effect anything else, everything looks fine but ya never know. I replaced the chain tensionor last month but not the chain as it doesn’t need to be replaced not yet anyway. I should have done the belt also while I was at it as I knew it needed to be replaced but I didn’t “silly me” lesson learned the hard way. :oops:

jonster

Advanced Member
Glad that it doesn't sound too serious. I was started reading the thread thinking it was something major due to your internal engine mods. Was the car good on the track with the latest map?

macer

Advanced Member
jonster said:
Glad that it doesn't sound too serious. I was started reading the thread thinking it was something major due to your internal engine mods. Was the car good on the track with the latest map?
Yea i got a bit of a scare also :D.
The car ran very well on the track with the new map, I'm still getting some knock but not much, got 16 knocks when I data logged my first run of the day
This is a vid of the first run when I got 16 knocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvPT7t_kOI

I badly need a shift light

jonster

Advanced Member
Car looked like it was going very well. I wonder if they were true knocks. Not sure if it was the sound of the video but seemed like you were hitting the rev-limiter quite a bit. Was there anything that passed you? :)

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Shouldn't be anything terminal. I would reckon the worst thing that could have happened is that the belt could have chopped through the wires on one of your engine sensors or ABS sensors as happened to me with my first belt on the supercharger!! So it is worth having a nosey about where the belt runs.

Also make sure you dig out all the bits of the old belt from your crank pulley as it can wrap itself around the inside of it. Mine ended up fairly well wrapped around it, and I spent a good bit of time with a screwdriver and some pliers getting it out.

macer

Advanced Member
Got the new belt installed, as soon as I started the car the belt slipped off, put it back on & checked it over again started it & again the belt slipped off.
After a thorough examination I found that one of the main bolt’s on the power steering pump was missing & thus it was moving every time I started the car.
Replaced the bolt and all is good. Very strange the bolt came off in the first place.