Buddy-club Roll Centre Adjusters

coolerking

Advanced Member
Yeah Dan I had these fitted not that long ago along with a skunk2 rear tie bar and superpro front ARB poly bushes, the front sits a little higher afterwards, but its very little and hardly noticeable

as for any differences its hard to say, was just fast road driving but after these mods it definetely improved, less understeer, steering felt lighter as well

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Oh really? i was hoping they would lower the front end a little, as it sits higher at the front than it does at the back with eibach springs, which really annoys me but cant justify forking out for some coilovers as i will never be tracking my car. How are you getting on with your 5 at the moment? shame you arent going to be at JAE with me alex and the others :(

coolerking

Advanced Member
yeah I've got the same springs as you, yeah it raises every so slightly, you hardly notice it to be honest man,

yeah good mate, sucks not having it, just sitting there just now, heartbraking lol, its going down to TDI north next week, been told the new block will finished end of this week

spec will be

Cosworth Rods
Omega Pistons
Omega Block Guard
Cosworth Head Gasket
Ians cams or TDI drop in cams
RBC Inlet Mani
70mm Throttle Body
Supertech Valve Springs with bases and Retainers
New stem seals and recut valves
2.1 Forged Bottom End

already got the Buddy Club Pro Spec, Toda Manifold and now bought a Gruppe M to replace the Injen as well

Jammygit

Advanced Member
I'm a bit confused, the roll centre adjusters are extended lower ball joints so just lower the outside of the wishbone ?

So it can't affect the height of the car as the hub/shock/everything else is in the same place ?

I have some waiting to go on mine so can't comment on the real life handling improvements just yet.

coolerking

Advanced Member
I dont know the exact In's and out's but I had read previously that they slightly increase the height, again very very little difference and performancetek also said the same before I had them installed too

brucey87

Advanced Member
Cant comment on rca's alone, but i fitted some rca's a few weeks back along with poly arb bushes and lca bushes and had a tdi north fast road setup to finish it all off. Car feels alot more responsive and sharper when turning in now. cant wait to take it on track next week. Its all made a huge difference to the handling! Especialy after the fast road setup. Im pretty sure they dont affect the ride height neither.

Contact paul hughes on here he's best to talk to and to purchase from. I had a nightmare getting correct ones sent to me from other traders.

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Although i didn't have a personal experience, i think the extended ball joints are used so regardless you have lowered your car the lower control arms could stay in a downward angled that is closer to the oem angle and which is good for the handling mainly i think because under hard cornering the movement of the arm will add camber to your wheel. If you are too lowered and the lower arm is facing upwards when you are cornering this will leads to making the camber less.

thats what can i say by my understanding and my english:p, but buddyclub should have a better way of explaining it and maybe sharing it if you get there answer.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Just to add too that they do a good job at reducing bump steer. I fitted mine while I was still running coilovers and they dramatically reduced how much the car wanted to snatch when you hit a bump while cornering. I've since removed the coilovers but am still running them with spoon lowering springs.
They seem to be well made units so I'd stick with running these from now anyway not to mention I think they are half the price of oem replacement ball joints!

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I copied this con buddyclubuk.com, I've had these fitted for a few years now and have never had any issues

WHAT IS ROLL CENTER ?
While a vehicle corners, the movement of suspension is focused on the intersection (instant center) of the lines extended from the upper and lower suspension arms.
The intersection between the line from where the wheel contacts the road to the instant center (Point P) and the vehicle body centerline is the roll center (Point B).
With the stock suspension, the appropriate roll center has already been set from the factory.

ROLL INCREASES AFTER LOWERING?

Simply lowering the car results in an increase in the distance between the center of mass (Point A) and roll center (Point B) of the vehicle, even though the center of mass has dropped.
When the distance between Point A and B increases, roll stiffness decreases, causing an increase in the amount of roll. The amount of roll can be controlled with the use of stiffer springs, but ride quality etc. suffers as a result. Cornering speed does not increase like originally thought.

ROLL CENTER ADJUSTED!

With the Roll Center Adjuster in place, the angle of the lower are is revised. Roll center (Point B) is once again close to the center of mass (Point A) of the vehicle.
With the lowered center of mass and increased roll stiffness, the limit of cornering speed increases.

ROLL CENTER ADJUSTER FF

When a FF vehicle is lowered, the angle of the lower arm becomes poor, resulting in a significantly lowered roll center.
Consequently, the amount of roll in corners increase and the cornering force is sacrificed.,br> By extending the ball joint of the front knuckle, the position of the roll center is altered. Replacing the stock ball joint with this product will result in reduced roll, and cornering force as a result is increased. Steering response is also improved. This product is the long-awaited part for FF vehicles.

paul hughes

ollydc5 said:
I copied this con buddyclubuk.com, I've had these fitted for a few years now and have never had any issues

WHAT IS ROLL CENTER ?
While a vehicle corners, the movement of suspension is focused on the intersection (instant center) of the lines extended from the upper and lower suspension arms.
The intersection between the line from where the wheel contacts the road to the instant center (Point P) and the vehicle body centerline is the roll center (Point B).
With the stock suspension, the appropriate roll center has already been set from the factory.

ROLL INCREASES AFTER LOWERING?

Simply lowering the car results in an increase in the distance between the center of mass (Point A) and roll center (Point B) of the vehicle, even though the center of mass has dropped.
When the distance between Point A and B increases, roll stiffness decreases, causing an increase in the amount of roll. The amount of roll can be controlled with the use of stiffer springs, but ride quality etc. suffers as a result. Cornering speed does not increase like originally thought.

ROLL CENTER ADJUSTED!

With the Roll Center Adjuster in place, the angle of the lower are is revised. Roll center (Point B) is once again close to the center of mass (Point A) of the vehicle.
With the lowered center of mass and increased roll stiffness, the limit of cornering speed increases.

ROLL CENTER ADJUSTER FF

When a FF vehicle is lowered, the angle of the lower arm becomes poor, resulting in a significantly lowered roll center.
Consequently, the amount of roll in corners increase and the cornering force is sacrificed.,br> By extending the ball joint of the front knuckle, the position of the roll center is altered. Replacing the stock ball joint with this product will result in reduced roll, and cornering force as a result is increased. Steering response is also improved. This product is the long-awaited part for FF vehicles.
Couldnt have put it better myself Olly :)

We did extensive testing on DC5 race cars around the world before we released this product for road use, on our time Attack car we discovered that up to 70mm bottom arm to hub spacing made huge cornerspeed differences when used with extreme lowering and hub offsetting/inclination angle changes.