Buddy Club short-shift kit

Evs

Advanced Member
Got one of these fitted today, just thought I'd post up my thoughts on it.

Fitting took me about an hour, pretty straightforward job really, all done from inside the car. Just take the gearknob off and remove the centre console. Then it's a matter of disconnecting the two cables. The ends are secured to the shifter with split pins which you just straighten and pull out, then pop the cable outers out of the front of the shifter housing. These were a bit stiff but no big problem. There's a wiring harness clipped to the shifter in three places which again just pops off, then the shifter can be removed by undoing the four bolts that hold it to the floorpan. Fitting the BC shifter is just a reverse of the removal process, everything fits exactly like the OEM part, no problem at all 8)

A pro mechanic would probably sort it in half an hour, I wasted a lot of time clarting about with the trim and finding the right pliers to use on the split pins, lever the cable outers out etc. I'm sure you get the picture.... :oops: :lol:

In use, well it does exactly what it says on the tin really. The lever is shorter so the gearknob sits lower down, the movement front to back is much shorter, difficult to say by how much, but about a third at a guess. Right to left feels a bit shorter but this might be psychological and isn't as pronounced as the front to back reduction. Overall this gives the change a stiffer feel, but it doesn't feel notchy or anything, in fact it feels smoother than the OEM one to me. This might be because you need to use a bit more force in general and the motion of the lever feels more consistent. It's not too stiff, just stiffer than before. From memory it feels exactly like my DC2 gearchange used to feel, which to me is a Good Thing :D

Overall I'm well pleased with it - can't fault the quality or fit of the part in any way and it has had exactly the effect I wanted 8) :D

Big thanks to Stevie at Unit 8 for supplying it so quickly too xthumbup

User

Advanced Member
Evs said:
No probs mate. Did I just cost you some money? :wink: :lol:
Yes. :lol:

But, first things first - my car is in at System-R this Saturday for mounts and Spoon Springs. So this is going to have to wait till first week of January now.

mikegsi

Staff member
so in your opinion these are good things and quite easy to fit, whats the cost of them though?

truffs

any pics mate :?: God your brave fitting it yourself. If i had attempted it, the car would have had to be towed to the garage to finish the install lol :lol:

mikegsi

Staff member
Evs said:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5199&start=0 :idea:
havent had as much time as normal to read all the posts/threads on here, or i wuldnt have missed that one! :wink: :D

Evs

Advanced Member
truffs said:
any pics mate :?: God your brave fitting it yourself. If i had attempted it, the car would have had to be towed to the garage to finish the install lol :lol:
Nah sorry didn't bother taking any pics, there are some pics of the part itself in the 'for sale' post. Honestly it really was very easy to fit, I've described everything you need to do above, tools are only a 12mm socket, pliers, and a couple of screwdrivers for the trim.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Evs - Brave of you to go first, mt like most wait for someone else to 'suck it and see :wink: ' - Hat off to you mate.

I will be going for one of these too.

Evs

Advanced Member
Thanks for the comments guys, glad you found the feedback useful :D

Looks like I might have to ask Stevie about some commission... :-k :wink: :lol:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Bumping an old thread here rather than starting a new one.

I just fitted one and I am very impressed.

But, is the gear knob itself meant to be a lot lower? I am unsure if I have the four silver spacers in the right way. The only logical way in mine and my friends eyes was but the BC kit on the floor, then the spacers on top with the tunnel top most and then screw it in. It is in tight, and I like the way it feels, just seems rather low that's all. :oops: :lol:

LeeH

Advanced Member
Yes Chris, it does drop the height a bit. About 10mm IIRC.

I get the odd squeak from mine but apart from that its one of the best mods I've done.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Ah fair enough. The feel and height of it reminds me of the gear shift and feel in the S2000 which is no bad thing. It's is quite "stiff" (ooh err) and very precise but I think it'll just take some getting used to. Overall I am very impressed, and it looks awesome with the Spoon Ti knob on it. :twisted:

As for the squeak, sounds like you need to get some white grease. :wink:

LeeH

Advanced Member
Yeah, that's a good description. Very S2000 like. 8)

I need to get lubed up I know, but its PITA taking all the centre console out :?

I've got the Spoon Ti Knob too, they are getting rare now. :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
It takes no longer than 10 minutes to get the bits and bobs out that you need to get out. I found the hard part was getting the brackets that hold the shift cables in to come loose.

My Ti knob has been sat in my drawer for well over a year, never fitted it as the thread on my OEM shifter is shagged (partly the reason why I bought the BC kit). It makes it look so much better in the cabin, I never though a change of knob would do that. :lol:

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
A bit of loctite on the allen key bolt that secures the shifter in place would be a good idea when fitting the BC shifter i reckon.. The bolt on mine snapped all of a sudden could have been due to movement of the bolt over a few months..