Buddy Club Short Shifter FAIL

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Well, finally got round to looking at the gear shift today, as it had become nigh-on impossible to select reverse in my car - not without being Geoff Capes and pulling the whole centre console into the driver's seat anyway! :shock:

Seems my Buddy Club short shifter has been wearing on the left hand side (the arm that comes out and connects to the longer of the selector cables), and as a result of having to pull so far to the left to get reverse, there is lots of grated black plastic sitting around as well where the stick has rubbed against the wall of the selector casing. As the whole mechanism is plastic, I don't think you would be able to easily swap the worn bits out, so the whole thing is now useless.

I've put the original selector back in and hey presto, a lovely smooth gearbox action, easy reverse and 5th and 6th gear surprisingly more central than they were with the BC.

Frankly if this is how they wear after a couple of years, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone - the action is only fractionally shorter than OEM anyway and somewhat less smooth. Wish I hadn't bothered spending the £125 or whatever it was a couple of years back. :(

brucey87

Advanced Member
try a B&M short shifter. Lovely and smooth and apparently better made than the bc. Iv had mine for a year now with no probs on the shortest setting. I love it.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there is no question of the quality difference, the B&M is very nicely made, the bc to me looks like a cheap chinese copy of the oem with a poorly designed linkage.

kingston

Advanced Member
:xbeer: (closest i could find to the popcorn smilie)

waiting Mike GSI and Paul (BC) to comment now

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
lockwood77 said:
Well, finally got round to looking at the gear shift today, as it had become nigh-on impossible to select reverse in my car - not without being Geoff Capes and pulling the whole centre console into the driver's seat anyway! :shock:

Seems my Buddy Club short shifter has been wearing on the left hand side (the arm that comes out and connects to the longer of the selector cables), and as a result of having to pull so far to the left to get reverse, there is lots of grated black plastic sitting around as well where the stick has rubbed against the wall of the selector casing. As the whole mechanism is plastic, I don't think you would be able to easily swap the worn bits out, so the whole thing is now useless.

I've put the original selector back in and hey presto, a lovely smooth gearbox action, easy reverse and 5th and 6th gear surprisingly more central than they were with the BC.

Frankly if this is how they wear after a couple of years, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone - the action is only fractionally shorter than OEM anyway and somewhat less smooth. Wish I hadn't bothered spending the £125 or whatever it was a couple of years back. :(
Ditto :x

jay82

Advanced Member
started having the same problem that reveres was sticky :roll:
was really worried about the gear box so think i'll be pulling her out of the car soon shame

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Mine seems to have survived fine mate, it's just the mechanism of the shifter box that is a problem, the selector cables aren't affected. Take it out and it should be fine. :)

jay82

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
Mine seems to have survived fine mate, it's just the mechanism of the shifter box that is a problem, the selector cables aren't affected. Take it out and it should be fine. :)
gonna change her during the week. just a shame that it happens like. ah well will try the b&m next
just have to find the old now :lol:

rodney

Advanced Member
Not implying anything folks,however. Did you guys have this professionally fitted or did you do it yourselfs?

I have a reason,I'm not looking for a ball ache.

mikegsi

Staff member
Someone mention me?

No further comment, this thread answers it's own questions.

Would I choose B&M over BC? Without hesitation, in fact there was a supply 'issue' with the B&M's last time I was after one. I did without rather than use what some might say 'inferior' products

lockwood77

Advanced Member
rodney said:
Not implying anything folks,however. Did you guys have this professionally fitted or did you do it yourselfs?
Self-fitted - it's four bolts and two clips. You can't go wrong. Seriously, with the stiffness of the cables, you couldn't possibly fit it wrongly as they will only go on one way. Paying someone to do this would be a massive waste of cash, unless you literally can't lift a spanner. :)

jay82

Advanced Member
rodney said:

I have a reason,I'm not looking for a ball ache.
i had mine done professionally and got it fitted two and half years ago and it only start the problem in the last month or so
lockwood77 said:
Self-fitted - it's four bolts and two clips. You can't go wrong. Seriously, with the stiffness of the cables, you couldn't possibly fit it wrongly as they will only go on one way. Paying someone to do this would be a massive waste of cash, unless you literally can't lift a spanner. :)
i know my jaw dropped seeing it fitted and how easy it was :lol:

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
Fitted my one myself aswell theres nothing to it!

Only have it in a couple of months

Hope it isnt the case that after a while it goes dodgy!

mikegsi

Staff member
darquinn2006 said:
Fitted my one myself aswell theres nothing to it!

Only have it in a couple of months

Hope it isnt the case that after a while it goes dodgy!

:xyes: :xyes:

LeeH

Advanced Member
Mine's 3 years and as good as it was when it was new, but it's not done a huge amount of miles yet.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
where can you get the B&M now as TGM don't do them no more :(, still waiting for them to test their new ones they are getting in

sinbad

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
where can you get the B&M now as TGM don't do them no more :(, still waiting for them to test their new ones they are getting in

Larkspeed
POTN
Motorsportworld
europerformance
venom motorsport....