BuddyClub N+

Bonito

Advanced Member
Can't seem to find a manual on these. There's 15 or 16 (can't remember) damping settings on these. Ride height is both even but on my NCT it failed as the left side isn't set as hard as the right and there's an indifference of 2cm between them.

Inverted shocks so the nipple for adjusting the damping is at the bottom and the car needs to be jacked up. Reading online I've gotten wind that it'll damage the coilovers if I keep just twisting to try and find 0 or whatever you want to call the 1st damping setting.

Is this true or can I turn the nipple in a certain direction to reach it's start point so I can even out both sides?

I've seen the damping being adjusted on the N+'s but not inverted ones on a DC5.

Currently waiting on Paul to get back to me but in the meantime thought I'd ask if anyone knows how to.

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
On the front shockers the nipples are underneath. On the rear shockers the nipples are at the top and can be accessed via the boot.

There is 15/16 clicks - Clockwise to make the shockers firmer... Counter Clockwise to soften the ride.

There is no start point presume 7-8 clicks is the middle and most even setting; not too hard, not too soft. This is the same for all of the shockers..

They won't snap unless you use excessie force.. The firmer the shocker gets, the harder it becomes to turn the knob.. count the clicks, and gauge the firmness to get an idea of the damping force.

Bonito

Advanced Member
On the front shockers the nipples are underneath. On the rear shockers the nipples are at the top and can be accessed via the boot.

There is 15/16 clicks - Clockwise to make the shockers firmer... Counter Clockwise to soften the ride.

There is no start point presume 7-8 clicks is the middle and most even setting; not too hard, not too soft. This is the same for all of the shockers..

They won't snap unless you use excessie force.. The firmer the shocker gets, the harder it becomes to turn the knob.. count the clicks, and gauge the firmness to get an idea of the damping force.

Yeh I know where the nipples are but the problem is I didn't set them up, they were on the car. Seeing as there's no start point, I don't know what setting they're at now.

It'd be handy if the NCT centre let me in to adjust them while they're testing the suspension so I can get it spot on.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
Yeh I know where the nipples are but the problem is I didn't set them up, they were on the car. Seeing as there's no start point, I don't know what setting they're at now.

It'd be handy if the NCT centre let me in to adjust them while they're testing the suspension so I can get it spot on.
There's no starting point, you have to work that out for yourself, wind them all the way to soft (counter clockwise) then turn them in depending on how stiff you require them, if you turn the right side all the way to soft then 8 clicks clockwise, just make sure you do the same on the opposite side, this will make the dampening equal :)

Bonito

Advanced Member
Nipples wont budge at all. Sprayed with Holts anti-seize & release solution and still not going anywhere. Not going to use tools because I've seen the rod snap inside the damper on others and I've also seen how easy they should be to adjust.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I really like my n+ they ride great i think my dampening is at halfway

Steve at eight speed really rates them, infact he is installing some on his in the future to replace his BC coilovers

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Yeah he was telling me yesterday. They firm but not crashy/bouncy I am guessing?

You got a picture of the front damper is it the large inverted damper?
Also they fully height adjustable without altering spring pre load?

I was going for fixed shocks and springs then stevie boy mentioned these to me.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
There may be some pics in my build thread steve or on instagram

Damping is done underneath but they are not inverted, height adjustable without adjusting preload

And theynare firm but well dampened, ive yet to give it some as ive only just had my alignment done today

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Thought they were inverted seeing some pics and I think Steve at eights peer believed they were unless I read his text wrong lol
Will have a look at your build thread.

paul hughes

Steve_DC5 said:
Thought they were inverted seeing some pics and I think Steve at eights peer believed they were unless I read his text wrong lol
Will have a look at your build thread.
If the adjuster knob is at the top they are not inverted,

If the adjuster knob is underneath then they are inverted, you will notice that the piston (which is actually the outer case of the damper unit) looks 40mm ish.

...this goes for every car damper i have seen.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Yeah on bottom. I bought some from your place the other week ;)

Just got my extended ball joints to fit then get alignment re done :)

Bonito

Advanced Member
All I saw was 2 threads with the same title and you having last comment in both. :D

paul hughes

for anyone who snaps an adjuster knob which has not been kept lubricated, we sell them, they are only 10mm long and not part of the adjustment rod for the very reason Bonito mentioned earlier. unscrew the small 8mm nut immediately behind the knurled knob and it will come off, the hex nose that opperates the rod is only 8mm long and that is what will have snapped so remove the snapped bit and the 8" long valve rod will fall out. call 01772 299820 for a replacement N+ adjuster knob. they are £20+vat and part number is BC-RSD-KNOB.

Adjustment should always be measured from the valve fully closed position. due to thread pitch mismatch on adjuster knob, which of course should be fitted fully out or open.

:)
happy days..

paul hughes

Bonito said:
Holy thread resurrection! My dampers are Race Spec and not N+. :)
Errrrr....the Topic heading by YOU says N+..... :xconfused:

luckily the adjuster knobs are the same.....:)

Bonito

Advanced Member
Howdy Paul! You know yourself Mick from Urban went AWOL for a while and I couldn't get in contact. Was only when I took the dampers off and cleaned them I saw the RaceSpec stickers. I do have his old DC5 yano! :D

When I snapped my adjustment rod, the remainder of the hex fitting never came out. It's still in there today so buying the replacement is of no use to me as I have no way of securing it via it's 8mm nut head due to the old one still being in the barrel of the damper adjustment.

paul hughes

thin elec screwdriver with a magnet adjacent to it will sort it maybe ?
Or send it to us and we will get it out.

Bonito

Advanced Member
Tried that! Only option I could think of was drill and tap but didn't want to take the chance of an impact gun over rotating the damper!