Buddyclub Spec 4 hanging low

The Mofo

Advanced Member
I've just fitted a spec 4 and when I went to put the car in my garage last night the exhaust caught on the little ramp going in. When you look under the car the silencer is sitting about 4 inches off the ground!! One speed bump and it's history.

I've lowered my car on Spoon progressives, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is anything I can do about it?

BTW the spec 4 for sounds amazing, lovely and quiet when your taking it easy and absolutely insane when it's in vtec. All the great sound of the spec 3 without the annoying drone out of vtec.

Hoodster

Advanced Member
Is there any chance you could show us a pic of it on your car I'm considering a spec 4 myself but I have dropped my teg by 40mm which is lower than the spoon springs your on so if its a prob for you its a no no for me :?

The Mofo

Advanced Member
I'll try and get some up. It sound fantastic on full chat but when your town driving it's really civilized, no booming and no chavvy loudness. I just hope I'm not going to loose it on some evil speed bump.

jay82

Advanced Member
i'm on spoon springs aswell, i have mugen and rubs one bit speed bumps. just come to a stop and drive over as slow as u can

donkeykong

Advanced Member
guys guys, think first before u do something. There are already lot of info on this...always check these things cause it can cause ur exhaust!!

the best thing is to get one which doesnt get much bigger in diamete due to silencers, when u lowered mostly u cant use most of the exhausts without hitting it

Most fitting issues of aftermarket products are usually something the fitter is doing wrong.
We have had numerous issues with exhausts,so we have a policy on this.
If a customer is unhappy with the fitting, bring it to us and if we cant fit it we will give you all your money back and we will also buy you an exhaust of your choice.
If we CAN fit it, then you pay for the labour.

I can say that we have NEVER bought anyone an exhaust or given any money back, because the half a dozen or so that we have re-fitted properly (out of hundreds of systems sold) have gone away happy with a fitting exhaust.

The position of the Hanger clamp is very important, the use of springs only (designed for race use only) can cause hanging issues, its better to clamp the joints .Cat or Header position can affect the line of the system by a multiplying factor of over 20:1, so if your 1mm out at the front it may be 20-50mm our at the back. most people make the same mistake of fitting the system from the front and bolting it to the cat, then fitting the next section. by the time you get to the backbox it doesnt fit !!!!

good luck learning, or book it in with us. :) :)

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Thanks for the post Paul.

I have a Toda Header and my previous exhaust did catch but only a little so maybe it's a result of the header added to the fact the car is lowered. It's not been as bad as I thought it would be and I'm certainly not replacing it as it sounds fantastic.

I would love to come and visit Paul if only to try out the BC car but I live on the Isle of Man so it's a bit of trek, I'm hoping to take my car to TDI North in September so might give you a buzz while I'm over.

LeeH

Advanced Member
The Spec IV does hang low, they always have, its the nature of the beast.........I've had one on both my old EP3 and current DC5.

My current DC5 is lowered 30mm on BC N+ dampners and it only catches the odd speed bump so you must have a fitment issue of a dodgy Spec IV.

It is possible, as no manufacturer is perfect even BC which I rate highly. I had to send my first manifold back due to the centers being incorrect on the 4-2, 2-1 sections.

Shit happens :lol:

Yeh Lee, I remember the manifold issue, we had 5 from a 20 batch that were a millimeter wrong at the twin pipe joint, they could be fitted together by levering with a pry bar but we changed them all without question anyway..:) :)

As they were official imports of course. ;)