Buyer Beware

noomski

I've been looking around for a dc5 for about a month now while I'm getting my funds in order and have been noticing the odd bargain pop up (such as this , congrats btw DC187 she looks like a beauty :) ) and i've just got back from test driving this and oh my god there's a reason it's so cheap. After my experience I just thought I'd post here in case anyone's planning a long journey to try it out.

Firstly the bloke made some story abut it not being moved for nearly a year as a friend has been storing it on his yard and had finally decided to sell it. That got me concerned right away.

So I took a walk around the car and noticed it wasn't a c-pack nor did it have the factory mats in either. Ok, I thought that's not entirely a deal breaker since it's so cheap. Then, after a quick scope around the bodywork (which has numerous dings and scratches) I jumped in and tried to start her up. Nothing. So off the seller goes to get a jumper pack. Meanwhile I thought I'd help by opening the bonnet, but wait, whats this? The bonnet release is missing, snapped off, gone! So we get the bonnet open eventually and get it running. Went to have a listen to the engine and it started revving by itself! It was jumping form 1k to 3k over and over again!! Anyone experienced this before? He reckoned it was the intake sensor.

Then I took it out for a spin, all the while its revving like this every time I stopped at the lights. Then, when it was closing time at the local synagogue, loads of Orthadox jews spilled out into the road. So I stopped and waited for them to move and the engine started it's revving song again so I looked like some intollerent twat in a fast car. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

Next it was vtech time and before I started I thought this should be interesting. So, I found a stretch of open road and gave it the beans. Engine management light came on immediateley :D

Btw, when the vtech kicks in do you normally feel it? I can in my EK but in this DC5 I wasn't sure if it was really working.....

Now 44k on the clock would sound like a steal at this price but judging by the wear on the seats, the badly scratched gear knob and the very polished steering wheel if this cars only done 44k then I'm a monkeys uncle.

Also, I asked if he had the auction sheet but in truth I already knew the answer. He said the car has been a private sale in Singapore and had not come via a Japanese auction.

Other faults are:

Washer jet hanging off/glued back on

Gaps in the dash above the heater dials

Paint beginning to wear off heater dials

Lights not flush with bumper

Fastners missing from bumper

Holes in the plastic wheel arch lining

There's probably more but I can't remember right now. So there it is people. I hope I've saved someone a long journey and a lot of disappointment.

st33ly

Sounds like it's done more miles than is claimed but please be aware that the drivers seat boalster collapsing is a normal thing even low ish mile examples and likewise the gear knob becoming scratched. especially if someone wears a ring. Sounds like people should stay away to me.

DC187

That's quite a few issues there, makes me feel really lucky for what I got for the price I paid.

JT3173

Advanced Member
Sounds like another FLO!

I wish scum would twoc these cars and not our good ones to save us all the hassle of test driving or buying them!

Good post btw :!: BUT WHAT WAS THE REG?

morgan

Advanced Member
Any one of those things mentioned would have been enough for me to walk. That sounds a complete dog.

All these posts about prices around at the mo, but the fact of the matter is (with a few exceptions, I realize) - you get what you pay for.

Yes, my car was 50% more than this, but it was perfect. Anyone who buys a lemon like that is kinda missing out on the point of DC5s anyway.

Caveat Emptor !

redcap

Advanced Member
One thing i can tell you is the reving on it's own is not too big an issue. Mine did this when i came back from being away for 10 weeks.

It is the throttle body valve sticking IIRC. Once it's unsticks it's fine. It's pretty normal and common if the car has been sitting for a long time.

But if it's cheap there is many reasons you have listed as to why, i would prefer to spend a bit more and get a god condition example. IMO this is not worth buying even if it's cheap as you are bound to want to spend some money doing it up to a better standard.

morgan

Advanced Member
Dont forget it might not be able to be registered.
There is some magic form/ref that an import needs and without it you cannot get type approval.

This has caught out even the best importers.
If thats the case, you wont know until after sale and by then you are stuck with a car you can do NOTHING with on the public road. Track car or scrap it. (Or insure it and set fire to it ! )

terminator x

Can cost a packet to get it through the SVA test if indeed you can get someone to lend you the model report! Sounds a nasty car ...

TX.

noomski said:
JT3173 it apparently still requires uk registration !!

Forgot to mention that :lol: