Buyers Guide

iBen

Is there a buyers guide on the forum?

I've had a quick search, but no luck!

looking to see what to watch out for, common faults, and how to get MORE POWER

iBen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iBen

there all newbie posts, there is bits of info in various threads.. not found a dedicated topic like i asked..

iBen

Cheers,

No dont own a DC5 yet.

I have about 16k to spend, i've got it down to 3 cars

Evo 8/9 MR
Ford Focus RS
TEG Dc5

im 21 so the insurance for the evo is a little more, but that isn't a issue and wont affect the choice, there are also increase in fuel and servicing costs (which are putting me off) but this is a second car for weekends/evenings etc.

Im currently getting 20-25mpg in my daily car so anything around that figure i can live with for this new car!

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
My DC5 returns on average 32mpg with mixed driving.

Servicing aint bad and 8600rpm is awesome :lol:

Newty

Advanced Member
Benny boy...I'm affraid you will have to be patient and read through loads of posts to get an idea. All the info you need is definately here...use the search facility properly, and the info will be there. 100% Guranteed.

st33ly

Beni - An evo 7/8 is an amazing car especially the MR versions. But as you point out insurance will be silly at your age and like wise servicing and fuel. I owned a evo 8 FQ 300 and it was brilliant! Very fast but the biggest thing that impressed was the cornering ability and the stability. But it lacked soul! Hence to say why am back to a Subaru STI PPP but looking to come back to the Honda scene. Good luck. Oh and you'll have to search for stuff like problems and most of the people on here are really friendly and will answer any questions you have. Might be worth giving Andy @ 200bhp cars a bell and asking him for some info as he's sold loads of the things and knows what to look for.
cheers

morgan

Advanced Member
iBen said:
Cheers,

No dont own a DC5 yet.

I have about 16k to spend, i've got it down to 3 cars

Evo 8/9 MR
Ford Focus RS
TEG Dc5

im 21 so the insurance for the evo is a little more, but that isn't a issue and wont affect the choice, there are also increase in fuel and servicing costs (which are putting me off) but this is a second car for weekends/evenings etc.

Im currently getting 20-25mpg in my daily car so anything around that figure i can live with for this new car!
21 Insuring an EVO ? ?!?!? :shock:
Love to see THAT bill ! !

iBen

cheers for the info guys.

Been searching, not sure if a want a facelift or not LOL

and do they all have LSD?

cheers

PS £1800 for the evo, not bad IMO

Newty

Advanced Member
£1800....seems ok for 21...if you have that coinage, fair enough.

A pal of mine, only about 18/19, got an Audi A3 1.8T, £3k insurance...his Dad paid for it as a Birthday present!!!!

Wardy7

Advanced Member
iBen said:
Been searching, not sure if a want a facelift or not LOL

and do they all have LSD?
£16k means you could easily choose either, I personally don't think the facelift looks as good but thats just my opinion. Either way they both look the nuts! :)
You could definately get a ncie car and have quite a few quid left over from £16k to do some mods to it if you want too!

Yes they all have LSD.

Cheers
Wardy

grahames

[quote name="iBen]

Newty

Advanced Member
Grahames & IBen....it seems to be important that the 'teg you look to buy has been well serviced. Receipts should be shown toshow this. A fine quality oil shoild also be used, I think people prefer 5/30 or 5/40. 'Oilman' on here will sort you out with info in his many posts. If you are buying a fresh import, not much to worry about if it is from a reputable one...follow the recommendations on here. If buying from someone who has owned it for a bit, the same rules aply as with any performance car...make sure it aint been thrashed!

On the interior, the front Recaros can be a pain. Generally, the drivers side outer bolster tends to go due to the natural set up of the seat...I think these are about £20-£30...guides are on here on how to replace. The nature of the material also means that it can go black in patches were a lot of rubbing take place, easily sorted with a bit of warm water and elbow grease.

Expect a little interior rattle here n there, nothing OTT. The japs make great engines, not so much tight interiors like the Germans.

I aint no pro on these cars, there are peeps on here who know a hell of a lot, but have answered this question a million times. There doesn't seem to be a set problem with the cars, just pot luck really. Things are a bit more expensive for them, because of the import factor. I got a lambda just recently at £145'ish.

I dont know what you want really, the same things apply to all cars when buying, there are general bits that you look out for...autotrader does a checklist for this sort of thing.

grahames

Cheers for the reply Newty.

Just from previous experience of cars i've bought there were certain things to look out for specific to that car.

When I bought my Impreza i knew that the rear lights were prone to letting in water which caused a puddle in the spare wheel well, and if not sorted would obviously lead to rust, the MAF sensors were weak and tended to fail which resulted in funny idle if you knew what to listen for, but could result in engine failure if not sorted. So you know to check in those area that everything was OK.

My Seat Cupra was renowned for having rattly dashboards, and certain weak sensors & coil pack failures, so I knew to check certain things for that.

With my 306 they were known for the air-con pipe to corrode & crack, and if you didnt know you could be fobbed off with 'oh it just needs a re-gas' whereas in reality it was £350+ to get it fixed.

It's just things like that I was trying to get information on. Obviously as you mentioned there are things common to all cars that you should check. But as with anything when you are looking to part with £10-£12K of your money you want to know everything you can about the car you're looking at.

Like you said people get bored of the question being asked a million times, which is fair enough, but to me that just points to the benefit of having a buyers guide stickied somewhere so people dont keep asking it?

Cheers
Grahame