Buying advice

davidpingu

Advanced Member
So I've looked through the sticky regarding buying advice and from what I can tell there is nothing in particular I should be looking out for as there are few known faults with these cars?

I was going to get an AA inspection when I find the car I want but guess what, they don't do a DC5!

Things I've listed to check are as follows:

Bodywork - Check all panels for damage and that they align correctly including under hood. Check front slam panel and bulk head for any dodgy signs.
Good thorough check underneath in particular the sills and arches for rust. Knock money off if not undersealed.

Bootwell: Check for damp and rust

Lights: check all work and no condensation present

Engine: Nothing in particular from what I can tell? Just make sure it goes through VTEC smoothly and check oil cap and and any signs of dark smokey fumes? (Am aware that condensation will appear in plooms of white steamy smoke on cold morning start ups)

Service History: As much as possible

Gearbox: Check gear changes are smooth, particularly 2nd.

Have I missed anything? Just really don't want to buy a dud like the 53 plate one mentioned in the threads! This happened to me when I bought a 200sx and I wasted thousands.

As regards servicing are main dealer ok for this? Will they do an import?

Finally I was originally looking at the lowest mileage examples, under 50,000 ideally but I saw a particularly nice one for really good money with 126 kilometres (roughly 78k miles). If I were to buy a higher mileage example but had around 3k I could put by, what would you all do? Get the original engine overhauled when it starts showing advanced wear and tear, new internals etc or try and buy a replacement engine?

Are there any companies out there that offer a tuned replacement engine with upgraded internals that will drop straight in?

Just wondering what my options would be if I saved money now and bought a higher mileage model compared with trying to source a low mileage example with plenty of life?

Cheers

alan-lee

Advanced Member
In regards to mileage mate, i bought mine with just over 68,000 on the clock and the engine is as fresh as another tegs ive been in.. In fact mine had a lot of servics history and that was the main selling point.. Ive raced a few others and my car pulls on them with only an airbox!

So main tips if high mileage make sure theres history, give the engine a service overhaul when you get it and just keep it serviced! Spend the rest on some mods and your onto a winner!

Hope this helps!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Sure thanks. Should I be weary of Tegs priced between 6 - 7k? There are a few on Piston Heads and they look ok. I tend to go by the look of the interior as to what kind of life they've had and there are some really clean examples. I just see others that look much the same for nearer 9k and it seems a big difference in price for the same year, same specs but maybe 30k more on the clock?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
yeah mate to be honest, now people are selling tegs far too cheap, if you know your way around a car and you seem to youll know when you go to look at one whether its suffered or not..

eg9_dc2

Advanced Member
I'm not sure if I've pm'd you but I might be selling mine...it's just under 50k miles(with the first 26being km)...it's a cat d though...still in the garage and the damage was so minor..(rear tail light/quarter panel kink like a shopping trolley got thrown into it...if your interested at all pm me.

car is almost like brand new from inside (I have pics).

Black 53 c pack.am gonna be advertising it on here in a week or do once it's been repaired by a dealer approved place.

Generally speaking spending a good half hour on your own with the guy can tell you if it's a lemon or not...assuming you look at a few different ones to have a standard to go by.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Thanks mate. I have to be honest and say I'd steer clear of Cat D. Not because there's necessarily anything wrong with it but if I ever did want to sell it on its hard enough selling on an import without adding Cat D in to the equation. I'll have a good look around though and options are always good to have so anyone who's looking to sell then let me know. I do have a particular car in mind at the moment for around the £9k mark but depending on what he'll take for it I might be tempted at looking for something nearer the £6000 - £7000 range.

dotty

Advanced Member
As a heads up for anyone looking in the future I'll be selling mine in April, CW 04, c pack 63k odd miles by then, will include eibach springs, fast road set up, es inserts, js racing blue rocker cover, new clutch fitted recently along with new brakes fitted all round last week (including braided lines). I'll probably even throw in the private plate R111TEG)

David Fox

Advanced Member
Selling Stu? Any particular reason - Evo perhaps? Might have to take that plate off your hands, tried to off Stoo but you beat me to it!

dotty

Advanced Member
Perhaps an Evo but I'm only using the car at weekends and sometimes not even then :)