Buying some AEM fresh air!

Drizzle

Hi everyone, i've not had my dc5 (or been on here)very long, and already i want an aem cold air kit for it! my friend has the aem on his s2000 and it sounds incredible! now for the help!.... does anyone on here have an aem c.a.i, because i cant seem to find out if you need to move the resevoir bottles or not, and if you do is it much hassle? thanks in advance for any help!! :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are basically 2 designs, the short and long ram. not the best for power but make the best sound
short ram sounds amazing but can suffer a little with heatsoak, this is only really a problem if you are drag racing, i had one, it made good power and never caused a problem, i adapted a good cold air feed and fitted a heatsheild .
the long ram puts the filter behind the front bumper makes the same power maybe slightly more torque, and normally needs the washer fluid res to be moved, (i havent seen one for a while so aem may have changed their design) the drawback can be if its wet, the long ram is very close to the puddles, so could cause hydrolock.

Drizzle

C&S Evo7 said:
there are basically 2 designs, the short and long ram. not the best for power but make the best sound
short ram sounds amazing but can suffer a little with heatsoak, this is only really a problem if you are drag racing, i had one, it made good power and never caused a problem, i adapted a good cold air feed and fitted a heatsheild .
the long ram puts the filter behind the front bumper makes the same power maybe slightly more torque, and normally needs the washer fluid res to be moved, (i havent seen one for a while so aem may have changed their design) the drawback can be if its wet, the long ram is very close to the puddles, so could cause hydrolock.
Ok cool thanks, what kind of trouble does hydrolock cause? i'm really tempted with the long ram as it does sound the best option but if its going to cause me trouble then i will just give it a miss and get a short ram!

Rob.

Advanced Member
The long ram AEM now comes with new smaller washer bottle to avoid havin to move it..

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers Rob, good info,

if your engine ingests water via the inlet the piston rises and cant compress it so you end up with bent rods, valves etc, a real mess, you can get a peice that fits to stop it happening but some fabrication is needed.

dave7368

Advanced Member
i have a AEM long ram intake, never had any problems with water, should be supplied with a smaller washer bottle that fits in the same place as the OEM one...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
dave i am not saying you WILL have a problem with water but as the filter sits close to the floor you wouldnt need much of a puddle to suck some up, you only need 20ml or so to hydrolock your engine.

its good to know they now come with a res as it used to be a royal pain in the ass.

DC-5 Mad

The filters do get wet FACT it's through the vents in the plastic that lie on the bottom of the bumper. I noticed this when i got round to cleaning it just driving on a wet day could cause this as i stay out the way of big puddles realising the problems you get. Anyway i put down i sheet of plastic to cover the bottom area and after checking back a couple of weeks later it seemed to have worked. :)

Drizzle

Thanks for the help guys, i think i'm gonna go for it, and maybe try to sheid it from the water! any ideas on the cheapest place to get them from?

Armenomania

Advanced Member
Drizzle said:
Hi everyone, i've not had my dc5 (or been on here)very long, and already i want an aem cold air kit for it! my friend has the aem on his s2000 and it sounds incredible! now for the help!.... does anyone on here have an aem c.a.i, because i cant seem to find out if you need to move the resevoir bottles or not, and if you do is it much hassle? thanks in advance for any help!! :)
Hey Mate!
Have personally installed 2 AEM CAI's on mine and my bro's DC5s...the cai you will buy(if its new) the water bottle designed by AEM will come along with it in the box:) without that new designed bottle u wont be able to fit the intake. PM me your Email and i will send you the detailed Installation guide in PDF format.believe me you cant find anywhere else more detailed installation:)
just 2 things to be aware of:
1) make sure you screwed the new water bottle very well so there will be no trouble with the filter sucking in water after,
2) make sure the Intake pipe is far from the shifting arm,otherwise it will block the gears and you wont be able to put 1st,3rd :)

linzi94

Advanced Member
as mentioned above about blocking gears:

my aem cai cost me a 5th gear, 5th and 6th synchro and an air con pipe. this amounted to hundreds of pounds worth of damage.

it was the correct kit for my car and was correctly installed. (i can only presume through continually working itself loose from the throttle caused the damage) there's an angry thread on this forum somewhere documenting it with photos.

i now have a gruppe m.

cpoh

Advanced Member
If you are worried about the aem and gear linkage issues just get an injen cai from the us. It comes with the washer bottle too and is virtually the exact same design as the aem without interfering with the box.

Armenomania

Advanced Member
linzi94 said:

my aem cai cost me a 5th gear, 5th and 6th synchro and an air con pipe. this amounted to hundreds of pounds worth of damage.

it was the correct kit for my car and was correctly installed. (i can only presume through continually working itself loose from the throttle caused the damage) there's an angry thread on this forum somewhere documenting it with photos.

i now have a gruppe m.
Bro, never heard of such a thing... i dont know who and how installed the CAI, but it wasnt correct at all to cause you so much damage!
If i wouldnt have had AEM cai, after reading your post would get scared and would get something else...
there will be distance of 2cm between gear arm and the pipe,so no damage can be caused...of course if the installation have been done by someone who at least have seen a car for once in his life:)

Blairh22

Regarding the filter getting wet, if your worried about this get an injen hydro-shield! Kinda like a condom for your filter but allows air to pass through.

Got this on mine and never had any issues.

Overall the AEM CAI is a great induction kit!

linzi94

Advanced Member
Armenomania said:
linzi94 said:

i now have a gruppe m.
Bro, never heard of such a thing... i dont know who and how installed the CAI, but it wasnt correct at all to cause you so much damage!
If i wouldnt have had AEM cai, after reading your post would get scared and would get something else...
there will be distance of 2cm between gear arm and the pipe,so no damage can be caused...of course if the installation have been done by someone who at least have seen a car for once in his life:)
it was installed by a trained technician with over 10 years experience and fellow dc5 owner. just to add, i have other modifications on the car that have caused me no problems at all. i even managed to fit my own gruppe m with no problems, bro.

Armenomania

Advanced Member
SPIT_FIRE said:
How does this compare to the Gruppe M, and the Mugen intake?
Mate, dont know about Gruppe M , but the mugen intake is totally worthless unless you have enough money to buy mugen header,exhaust,ECU...
if you wanna get HP, dont buy mugen intake... Personally got AEM CAI, and know another 5-6 dc5 that got the same. the AEM CAI is the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY!