C/F hood catch pin Q

gregb

Advanced Member

As you can see over time the material has cracked and small pieces have come away off the catch lock for the bonnet.
while i am still confident in it and it`s firmness i would like to fill it back in as much as possible.
Maybe a resin of some sort?
Any ideas what material it is?
Whilst i have always took care on closing it,it seems inevitable that such wear happenned.

Evs

Advanced Member
I'd try some fibreglass mat and resin - key the area around the catch with some sandpaper and then lay up a few layers around the catch. Should do the trick. I was about to say you can get the materials from Halfords, but then remembered where you are now... :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The catch (hook) is welded to a rectangular plate,it is fitted from the inside before the bonnet is skinned and then riveted in place.
Unless the area around the rivets starts to break up it should be fine.

remove the bonnet lay it upside down on a sheet and repair the area with some P40 or fiber filler which will be stronger and easier to use than fiberglass and resin for such a small repair.
You could use some epoxy resin but it needs to dry hard and be able to bond to the existing material.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
dan as a word of caution avoid expanding foam on your car, one of my friends who is a very capable pro hifi installer once filled cavities and the ribs in his boot etc with ex foam to cut vibrations. it was fine for months but on a really really hot day a bit melted and oozed out down the back panel :shock:
he didn't notice for a day or two by which time it had redried leaving a permanent mess, it was nasty :shock:

dan the man

Advanced Member
:shock: :shock:

Dont think i ever will but cheers anyway..although u can get fire resistant foam which would prob not melt :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you could be right about the fire retardent stuff but theres no way i'm ever going to try it after seeing the mess :wink: :wink: