C West undertrays, carbon splitters, aero mods

JT3173

Advanced Member
I have seen on various sites in the US and on CRSX a C West carbon front undertray for the DC5, I have also seen a few good DIY carbon splitter kits over here in the UK.

C West http://www.hopupracing.com/cdc5untrffi.html
Carbon splitters http://carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Universal-Carbon-Fibre-Front-Splitter-Kit__CMUNSPLT001.aspx

I am going to consider installing a splitter kit when my Ings kit is on as I have seen from photos that the front lip hangs very low and I would rather prang a splitter than damage the paint or kit in any way. It would also decapitate rabbits too :green:

With this in mind does anybody on here know if the Ings front will be strong enough to hold the metal fasteners for the splitter and be capable of withstanding the pressure the air flow would create at speed.
With regards to the undertray, this could be made and fitted with a splitter bonded to the bottom possibly removing the need for any metal fasteners connected to the bumper etc.

If I went down this route I have also considered tidyting up the underside of the car by using sheel alloy to create a flat and smooth underside.
It should allow for better air flow at speed and create a suction effect, even giving better mpg.

I do use the car on the track before anyone asks............. :wink:

Opinions please

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
Best option if you want undertray/splitter is to mount to the body of the car not the front bumper, as the bumper flexes. if you are using for trackdays and not just for show then it has to mounted securely with as little flex as possible so when the wind is blowing on it and creating downforce then the actual car will be pushed down and not the bumper flexing :)

JT3173

Advanced Member
Cool, that is easily done, just have to use longer bolts that connect the bottom lip part of the bumper to the car and pass them through the splitter.