Calling all professional detailers!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi,

I'm after some information from professional valeters/detailers.

I'm looking into starting my own business on the side as well as doing my normal job. As I work nights then cleaning a car during the day is doable.

The main information I'm after are prices and main pitfalls of doing this. I know there seems to be a (sorry for the stereotypicalism) Polish car wash on every street corner but I'm looking to do the detailing side rather than the 'wash for a fiver' malarkey.

I know there are a few detailers on here so if you could help you can PM on here.

Many thanks

Adam

G Man

Advanced Member
My 2p:

• For your own business start something that you are passionate in - if this is detailing then that's the first hurdle over
  • Detailing requires lots of hours, which means high volumes of manual labour/time vs revenue - unless you're charging strong money or doing short details it might not be worth it and charging strong money always means a better job than competitors is expected.
  • The detailing market is quite saturated now, think of something unique to attract customers, most importantly have outstanding customer service
  • Professional tools required to begin with (paint depth gauge for one is not cheap)
  • Plenty of indoor space and lighting is needed
  • Make sure you have insurance to cover the building you plan to detail in along with customers cars being in that building - many detailers don't insure themselves and people are unaware

Ben_brodie

Advanced Member
This is something I have also been interested in for a long time now.

A few things I've picked up since becoming interested in it are as follows:

Skills, have you had the necessary experience of professional detailing ie do you have a wide knowledge of products available on the market. You may be more than confident in using the methods and products you use in your own car but what happens if a customer specifically asks for a treatment that you have not yet used such as different paint sealants.

Methods. The main thing people think of when they hear detailing is the paint correction side of things. Do you know how to safely remove issues such as orange peel using sanding processes. Also are you comfortable in your abilities to create an absolutely flawless finish to the cars paint ?

Can you fix paint chips and deep scratches?

Tools, do you own the equipment needed ? As already mentioned a paint depth gauge is essential and not cheap at all, machine polishers with a verity of pads and polishes needed to correct all different types of paint.

As mentioned before insurance for both yourself and the car you will be working on?

You also have to dispose of water in the correct manner, as a business you Can NOT allow your waste water to flow into public drains.

Premises, put yourself in the customers shoes, your premises must be professional, would you leave your pride and joy in the hands of someone who has a run down looking set up ?

Portfolio, if you don't already have one it is a good idea to start one up, the first thing I'd want to see if leaving my car with anyone for this kind of work is proof of their abilities.

Work rate, are you fast enough in your processes to make it viable

Business, can you pull in enough work to make it worth you're while, with detailing the first thing you need to do is set yourself apart from the local car wash, you need to make people aware of why they should come to you and pay X amount more than that £5 car wash down the road.

Another good thing to do is attend classes from detailing product companies such as meguires, if you Cary out the course on machine polishing it means you have a certificate from a widely known and trusted company to say that you have been trained by them which can be very advantageous when trying to pull in customers.

Hope some of this is help to you and good luck!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Wow! Thanks Gman! A lot to think about. Your first bullet point I think I've got covered! 😉

I used to be a valeter for a company years ago and really enjoyed it but the money for myself wasn't there. I'm not looking to quit my job to do this. Not yet anyway.

Adam

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Also thanks Ben!

This is something I've always wanted to do but it's not until I bought the Integra (and met Ian) I realised how much is involved. But I have used a DA but want to attend detailing sessions from Meguiars and Auto Finesse if possible. I think it's essential to this as you say. If for my own knowledge at least. This isn't something I'm going to rush into but was going to start small ie at home.

G Man

Advanced Member
No problems. As much as my points sound daunting in places, below is an example of the good end of the stick....

http://www.tlcdetailing.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/tlc.detailing

The two boys that own TLC Detailing had one of their car's detailed by two of my friends 5-6 years ago, the results of the detail immediately got them interested. Soon after, my mates gave them a few lessons in polishing with a rotary and a short period later they had setup their own detailing business out of one of their parents garages.

Their current premises is incredible, so clean with bags of space and excellent lighting. They've recently started vinyl wrapping as an addition to their business.

I'll let the pictures at these links speak for themselves but their recent portfolio has included Ferrari F430, Nissan GTR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, etc.

Needless to say my friends are sick as dogs now but it only ever was a hobby to them, and now to me (after a few lessons from them of course :D)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
The mobile valeting vans seem to do quite well around our way Adam and I think there could still be some market share left in that. There is a couple in my street that get both of their cars done and I always tend to speak to the guy cleaning the cars for a good 20 minutes or more. He says there's more work than he can't keep up with and I think what sets him apart is that people don't have to find the time to go to him, he comes to you. He does home calls but the office car parks dotted around are like little gold mines.
The biggest problem is the initial outlay. He has a van with a big water tank, pressure washer installed etc so you are talking a fair few pennies.
He charges £13 for what he calls a mini valet which is what most people go for. That's for a wash and wax including wheels I think. Slightly more than the Polish or Turkish guys but then he's using better products and not cleaning the paint with a mop that's been sat there on the gritty floor!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Cheers Dave. I was thinking about the mobile vale ting but that a bit full on for me right now. Good to know that the business is there though.

Simon has found out that the Meguiars seminars have finished now until October. So that gives me now until then to get some volenters together so that I can clean their cars. Dave, yours is first! Already have a friend that wants an orange ST done. Need darker colours though.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Fancy cleaning Henry? My polo I mean, not your dog..
A red car!! Hopefully get some good results from that. Will have to do that. 👍

So that's
White
Orange
Blue
Red
A black or grey would be good. Will ask the neighbours!

G Man

Advanced Member
Is this service currently free or are you charging?

Where are you based? lol

Speaking of detailing, I took advantage of the weather and spent a few hours on the Audi yesterday.

Rom

Advanced Member
Id be doing it myself, but you could certainly have a bash, or help whatever. My black Audi needs doing before i sell it. Will be some DA action, not too extreme as already wet sanded it when i got it. (never wetsand the oranage peel out of a black car!)

Though i need to get a couple of bits painted too and my mate is letting me done so far.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I'm based in Bristol.

As for charging, I cannot do it for free. If you have your own products to use then it would obviously be cheaper. But I'm not charging £20 an hour! Lol

If anyone is serious about this then please PM me and we can work something out. 👍

-Birdy-

Advanced Member
Il speak to you at Japfest about doing mine, dont mind paying as it needs a good going over anyways to get rid of orange peel etc so was going to get it done soon.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
You need to have a look at my mystery half shiny/half matt rear bumper. Lol

With regards to a black car, my cousins and I have been working on a black civic coupe over the past year. Its now nearly on the road but its covered in small scrathces from tarpaulin and swirl marks. Lol. Ive hand polished a small section to see what its like and it does come out pretty good but definitely needs a da on it. And of corse there would be an exchange of money :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Do I need to advertise??! Lol

Cheers guys. Will talk to most of you at Japfest about this. Any help appreciated. 👍

Mark_teg

Staff member
Jimmer said:
You need to have a look at my mystery half shiny/half matt rear bumper. Lol
With regards to a black car, my cousins and I have been working on a black civic coupe over the past year. Its now nearly on the road but its covered in small scrathces from tarpaulin and swirl marks. Lol. Ive hand polished a small section to see what its like and it does come out pretty good but definitely needs a da on it. And of corse there would be an exchange of money :)
I seem to recall us fitting his suspension for him ;) :p