Cam chain change

griffy

Advanced Member
Hi guys, Any ideas at what service can chain needs to be replaced? Had plugs while ago, any other big bits to do cars around 105k thanks

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
They don't usually. Lifetime part unless problems or tensioner noise.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Get the valve cover off and see if it's stretched. If it hasn't (most likely has) I'd leave it.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Its very hard to see if its "stretched" its a chain. Using the inspection panel on the side of the engine cover to inspect the tensioner and how much is left will be the only real way to check. (Seek advice from a reputable garage I would)

I had mine inspected as i had a few rattles to sort on start up and tick over....turned out to be the vtc control gear on the end of the inlet camshaft that was at fault. Tom at TGM said my chain had to come off to replace the worn part, and in inspection also said that the chain was still within factory tolerances.....140k miles later.!

I purely had it changed as he and I both agreed to put on old when ot was all coming off anyway was abit backwards thinking, so i went and had new fitted. Providing its well maintained you shouldn't have any issues, my advice would be to get a garage who know these cars to check tolerances etc and advise any action and go from there.

Any "stretch" that has occurred should be taken up in the tensioner so lifting the cam cover and having a prod and wiggle may not show any significant signs.... but that inspection cover I explained about above is a bit of a bar stuard to get to.

Good luck :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Good find that. Makes perfect sense.

Talking from experience if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Lol.

My chain snapped on me on the motorway and bent four valves. It was only replaced a few months beforehand by a reputable garage. I only got it done as the car was on 100k miles. I had the whole kit done too. But after this it was replaced with an FD2 setup which has the longer top guide. Make sure you get this when/if you get it done. 👍🏻

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Had my chain, tensioner and guides changed at TGM after 100k miles just for peace of mind really. Tom said it was changed for the FD2 parts as Honda improved the design.

WayneCivic

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Good find that. Makes perfect sense.

Talking from experience if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Lol.

My chain snapped on me on the motorway and bent four valves. It was only replaced a few months beforehand by a reputable garage. I only got it done as the car was on 100k miles. I had the whole kit done too. But after this it was replaced with an FD2 setup which has the longer top guide. Make sure you get this when/if you get it done. 👍🏻
How did it snap dude

wj51fut

Advanced Member
No idea. Doing 70+ on the motorway and it was like someone turned the key off.

Not fun at all.

WayneCivic

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
No idea. Doing 70+ on the motorway and it was like someone turned the key off.

Not fun at all.
Bloody hell and that was a new chain??
I'm worried now doing mine in a few weeks got all my bits of Johnny at Tegiwa, asked him about the FD2 top guide but he said it will be ok

spooke

Advanced Member
WayneCivic said:
Bloody hell and that was a new chain??
I'm worried now doing mine in a few weeks got all my bits of Johnny at Tegiwa, asked him about the FD2 top guide but he said it will be ok
You'll be fine - there are a lot of people who've had it done with no problems. I'd guess there was a fault in the chain which caused it?