Cam recommendations

parksy340

Advanced Member
As title says what cams would people recommend engine will have forged pistons
Would I be able to go for stage 3 cams

parksy340 said:
As title says what cams would people recommend engine will have forged pistons
Would I be able to go for stage 3 cams
I would recommend stage 2 cams up to 2.1L and stage 3 only if your run a big bore 2.2L+,2.35 Stroker up to 2.65L.
Dan

thomsojf

Advanced Member
If you were to buy cams, what else would you need to upgrade at the same time?
What sort of prices would you be looking at?

I've started to have a look at this and was thinking either buddy club stage 2 or skunk 2 stage 2. Has anyone ever used skunk 2 cams?

Jonny

VT-Doo

RushDoo
You'll find that there are hardly any people on here running after-market cams and those who are are probably running BuddyClub cams; not because their necessarily the best but because the main UK distributor is on here.

If I were on the market for a set of cams I'd be searching for information on [url=http://www.k20a.org/forum">http://www.k20a.org/forum or

thomsojf

Advanced Member
To get cams would you need to upgrade your throttle body? Just because I heard that sometime when you do you lose a bit of drive ability?

I have all the other parts, well almost, getting Kpro on Monday :D

Where did you get your cams fitted?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
No you do no "need" to upgrade the throttle body but it depends if you're chasing figures. I have an after-market TB on my B18C and you're right, it doesn't work as good as OEM. Some TB's are just as good as OEM.

I had my cams installed at the same time I had the full engine upgraded and rebuilt. I used Newmarket Engineering in Stirling. I've used them a few times now and can't fault the workmanship.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The Toda cams work very well on the k20 and are generally reliable,

If you pick BC cams make sure you get them from a UK supplier (Japshop, TGM etc) as from the USA the profiles will be different.

The US profile is more like a std Type R cam so will not give the gains.

When i was racing Time Attack, Paul west (TP on the forums) had exactly the same engine spec as me in his civic but with toda A3 cams, he was easily able to pull a couple of car lengths on the straights at Silverstone, i would then easily pass under braking or around the corner though , it was going to be my next job after fitting a final drive.

it will cost about £1500 for the kit inc fitting

Mark_teg

Staff member
C&S Evo7 said:
The Toda cams work very well on the k20 and are generally reliable,

If you pick BC cams make sure you get them from a UK supplier (Japshop, TGM etc) as from the USA the profiles will be different.

The US profile is more like a std Type R cam so will not give the gains.

When i was racing Time Attack, Paul west (TP on the forums) had exactly the same engine spec as me in his civic but with toda A3 cams, he was easily able to pull a couple of car lengths on the straights at Silverstone, i would then easily pass under braking or around the corner though , it was going to be my next job after fitting a final drive.

it will cost about £1500 for the kit inc fitting
Interesting :-k
Whats included in the kit? (as well as the cams obviously) Valve springs?
What about the timing chain and the tensioners? Will they be best replaced the same time or did you include that in the above price?
Cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
cam chain depends on mileage and wear, price maybe a bit out too so dont quote me its the last price i had plus a bit. valve springs were included i think but things may have changed since then it was well over a year ago. If not you can use the springs from an s2000 (F20c) as they can handle more rpm.

speak to TGM they will give you a accurate price.