Cammed DC5s?

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Anyone on here still got a cammed DC5? i remember the big power list had a few guys running 270bhp...ish. wondered if they were still around.

dave c

400hp K20
I know Monz had a full toda setup but has since sold it all and gone back to std. Problems kept cropping up apparently

Stylesa

Advanced Member
just dont seem to ever hear/read of them anymore. would be a nice option to have between the regular 250bhp and a supercharger.

what sort of problems do cams bring?

dave c

400hp K20
I think in monz's case it was coupled with the stroker kit so not really sure of the exact problem I just know it was apart as much as it was together so he sacked it off

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I think changing the cams in general sacrifices driveability in normal driving. The car gets lumpy and jerky in traffic etc. Fine if your up in high revs most of the time on track but feels like a bag of spanners low down. That's the impression I got from hearing about them anyeay

eXceed

Resident Driver
I've got cams on mine, far too aggressive but a load of fun if tuned correctly!

I wouldn't recommend chasing NA power this way though... And would say you're better off looking at FI, or engine transplants? Although not experienced either.

I know if it was my money I'dbe buying a 500bhp turbo kit instead of the significantly more I've spent on cams (need much more air brought into the engine, so along the lines of RRC or custom manifold, larger TB, decent exhaust system, etc.).

Driveability is sacrificed below 2000rpm, but it's such a narrow point in our engines that I can deal with that. Turbos/SC don't have that issue.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Have a word with Coyote ( on this forum he is running 263bhp but not sure what mods if its revs equals more power take a look at the K20 battle Jun hyper lemon at Tsukuba on YouTube might give you an idea of tuning sounds pricey but promising.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still running OE JDM cams Jason and remains a very smooth drive. I know tricker_luke on here has a bored 2.2 with clockwise cams its a little erratic low down but not sure if that's due to the cams or not.

eXceed

Resident Driver
Anymore info on your build coolerking, what you revving too out of interest?

How long did TDI take to do that build?

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
Running stage 2 cams

Idle is the same as OEM and the low cam actually has more torque than before!

coolerking

Advanced Member
Hey man, yeah was wanting to do a build thread, but had no time lol, it was at tdi north for about 2 months, like you guys have said low down revs at part throttle can be jumpy and a pain,

Mines revs to 9000rpm it sounds savage on high cam lol very happy with the car overall, I wouldnt go down the FI route just because I believe this is the way there meant to be thats all.

Any other questions just shoot.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Like the idea of this. Would be interested in pros and cons from stage 2 cams. What' s it like low down? Conk out? Lumpy?

eXceed

Resident Driver
I'm on a stage 3 cam and low down has been eratic (less than 2k), I've got ITBs to help eleviate the problem by getting more air in and hoping the boost in compression should improve low down somewhat.

I've also got an extremely lumpy idle, sounds like a V8 to the untrained ear.

Otherwise into VTEC is savage, to the point where I've got the traction control addon for Kpro.

dave c

400hp K20
eXceed said:
.to the point where I've got the traction control addon for Kpro.
PIMP! have you had chance to try it yet, if so how well does it work? I've read very good reviews. Were you not tempted to just go the whole hog and get an aem instead of hondata?

Dave

eXceed

Resident Driver
dave c said:
dave c, on 28 Feb 2013 - 13:23, said:
PIMP! have you had chance to try it yet, if so how well does it work? I've read very good reviews. Were you not tempted to just go the whole hog and get an aem instead of hondata?

Dave
I was actually going to go with Haltech, but I figured I know how to tune with KPRO and Haltech hasn't got traction control yet (and I really didn't want to have to create a custom traction control retard table). AEM was also a strong option and supports traction control but I thought I'm making the build too complicated!

EDIT - No haven't used the TCS system yet, and have been warned not to by TGM so I'll be making sure the tune is fine beforehand (as it works by reducing timing).

Rob.

Advanced Member
Toda A3 cams in mine running 270bhp, runs fine at lower revs with the idle picked up a little but is a little jerky at low speeds!

Mark_teg

Staff member
Rob. said:
Toda A3 cams in mine running 270bhp, runs fine at lower revs with the idle picked up a little but is a little jerky at low speeds!
What's your idle set at now Rob?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
eXceed said:
I'm on a stage 3 cam and low down has been eratic (less than 2k), I've got ITBs to help eleviate the problem by getting more air in and hoping the boost in compression should improve low down somewhat.

I've also got an extremely lumpy idle, sounds like a V8 to the untrained ear.

Otherwise into VTEC is savage, to the point where I've got the traction control addon for Kpro.
Any vids?