Cams cost & info

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
Guys,

Does anyone know the full cost & what is involved in a cam setup to a stage 1 car?

I was looking at skunk 2 stage 3 cams on teigwa they require, valve springs and retainers is this all I will need?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
More than likely a KPRO or K100 to run them too. Springs and retainers as you say will also be need due to the strain put on them from the higher lift lobes. What breathing mods have you got? To get the most out of the cams I would think you would need an RBC, some sort of induction kit and a de cat manifold.

Adam

Lewis93

Advanced Member
I'm glad someone has posted this topic. With me in the process of importing a new DC5 I want to change it to have more of an enjoyable and rewarding feel to drive rather than setting it out to be a car of straight line speed.

My thought of doing the cams would be I would want more of a harsh v-tec kick and be more responsive through out the rev range. I'm guessing cams plus springs will do this for me? If not someone please state what the upgrade would change in feel and also power, complimented with an ECU of course as Adam said. :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Your best bet is to speak to TDI North or even TGM. There is a lot to consider, especially if your going to use the car as a daily.

You can get such things as 'killer cams' which if I'm correct don't have a higher and lower cam lobe profile. They are all the higher so it's like the car is on permanent VTEC. A guy on here got it done. Said it was savage.

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
The car itself is stage 1+, so it has all the breathing mods, I don't use the kpro I have a piggyback ecu (Dastek Unichip).

I noticed that the cams by skunk2 are listed as stage1-3 although they have the same requirements springs and retainers?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
TODA cams are supposed to be good but expensive.

Can I ask a few questions whilst we're on this subject.

If upgrading cams, would there be any benefit in getting headwork done such as larger valves, higher compression pistons/rods etc?

Also back in the day the likes of Piper and Kent used to be all the rage, are these types of cams no good in a K20?

Thanks.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
That would be some pretty serious N/A tuning Crazylegs. Do it and tell us how you get on? :xgrin:

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ha ha!

I won't be doing it, well not at the moment anyway ha ha! Would like to in the future, just looking for info at the moment to gain a better understanding.

:xgrin:

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
Ok I think I will go for the stage 3 cams + valve springs and retainers then remap.

Does anyone know if the RPM limit could be raised safely with this setup or would bottom end work be required?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Jonnyteg said:
Ok I think I will go for the stage 3 cams + valve springs and retainers then remap.

Does anyone know if the RPM limit could be raised safely with this setup or would bottom end work be required?
Should be fine to up the limit from what I've read on here. I believe the s2000 oil pump is a worthwhile upgrade though..
Who would you use to map it?

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
Mark, I would get SOS motorsport to do the mapping I have the Unichip with vtec controller, they are the only company in the uk to get this to work on the dc5.

jambo

Advanced Member
Drag cartel make some awesome cams. Have also heard a up rated chain tensioner is required. Key is to match it up to compression ratio etc to get the most out of the cams.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Drag Cartel are goo cams.

The likes of IPS and Prayoonto cams are meant to be fantastic bits of kit too, IPS are hard to get a hold of though

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
didn't IPS wrap up there business back in 2010?
Hence being hard to find as people hold onto them, missed a set of K2's last month by a few days was absolutely gutted.

I researched into what happened with the company and the guys that done the cams etc etc but this isnt the place to d get into the "IPS - what happened next..." happy to chat via PM if you want though ;)

dave7368

Advanced Member
i don't think what mine makes would be relevant to this topic.. i would hate to be posting rubbish..