CAMs for Stock Valve Train/Compression

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
The Z3 motors were only made from 2008 onwards and as late as 2009 i think in TSX cars, is this deffo the one you want because it will be more expensive for the same thing basically ??? also are you in the UK ??
As far as I know the Z3 is the only block with 11:1 compression pistons and beefed up rods

Yep based in Manchester

paul hughes

If i am not mistaken,
The Z3 does have 11:1 as std,but the power is lower than std TSX 2006/8, the rods and crank are same as 2006-2008 TSX. still the same package really, so a quick lick on the K20 head and your up to 12:1+ because K20 head produces much more power, you would never use a K24 with a std head on, the ports are half the volume of K20 ports ????

Then again I might be completely wrong :))))

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
If i am not mistaken,
The Z3 does have 11:1 as std,but the power is lower than std TSX 2006/8, the rods and crank are same as 2006-2008 TSX. still the same package really, so a quick lick on the K20 head and your up to 12:1+ because K20 head produces much more power, you would never use a K24 with a std head on, the ports are half the volume of K20 ports ????

Then again I might be completely wrong :))))
A k20a head flows 10cfm more than the k24 head at 0.50" lift, this is in spite of the k24 having larger valves.

The short motor im after is the 2009 onward k24z3:
  • 2009+ Acura TSX
    • Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
    • Bore and Stroke: 87 mm x 99 mm (3.43 x 3.90 inches)
    • Compression: 11.0:1
    • Power: 201 @ 7000 rpm
    • Torque: 172 ft·lbf (MT), 170 ft·lbf (AT) @ 4300 rpm
    • Redline: 7100 rpm
My cams are quite aggressive so I would not wish to deck the block or skim the head again, and I would run a stock gasket to make sure I have 50 degrees VTC at 13.5mm lift

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well I've finally decided to take the plunge and booked the car in for Tdi drop in cams. All booked in for Sept so ill keep everyone posted.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Well I've finally decided to take the plunge and booked the car in for Tdi drop in cams. All booked in for Sept so ill keep everyone posted.
I knew it wouldnt be long till you bought something engine wise, i reckon you be running a k24 bottom end by the end of next year too,

Ive got to go in your teg when its done, give me a shout and ill pop round

What results has paul suggested?

coolerking

Advanced Member
Nice one, bet your looking forward to it, should make good power I reckon, I'm either getting these cams or lans cams for my build

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If I had a bigger wallet I'd be getting Ian's cams as wow they pack a punch. Only trouble is you'll need a new updated valve train to accommodate them. The Tdi drop ins are as they suggest and with them on par with skunk 2 and toda a3s there certainly a worthy contender. Paul hasn't suggested power as every car is different so will have to wait and see on the day.

coolerking

Advanced Member
Yeah he was saying good things about them, im getting a whole new 2.1 fully forged engine built so im going for it lol,

the review i read of loxy's car seemed really good, much more power than the skunk 2's

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
All I know is that the high cam is aggressive and gives a big kick at 6k. The car I know is a stroked 2.2 and produces over 280bhp with them!

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
If I had a bigger wallet I'd be getting Ian's cams as wow they pack a punch. Only trouble is you'll need a new updated valve train to accommodate them. The Tdi drop ins are as they suggest and with them on par with skunk 2 and toda a3s there certainly a worthy contender. Paul hasn't suggested power as every car is different so will have to wait and see on the day.
There's a new post today on CTRO forum - EP3 with intake/rbc/70mm thottle/dc header & exhaust just made 260hp with TDi stage ones

mike.williams

Advanced Member
There's a new post today on CTRO forum - EP3 with intake/rbc/70mm thottle/dc header & exhaust just made 260hp with TDi stage ones
Seen this on facebook,

Dans is running 260bhp already with it port matched, so he should be set for good gains

brucey87

Advanced Member

hmmm thats interesting. are they just custom made cams by tdi? im up there soon so may get paul to chuck some in before my map gets tweeked unless its too late. whats the price roughly? on cams and fitting

mike.williams

Advanced Member
hmmm thats interesting. are they just custom made cams by tdi? im up there soon so may get paul to chuck some in before my map gets tweeked unless its too late. whats the price roughly? on cams and fitting
Yes, there machined to tdi-norths spec, paul posted on facebook a few weeks back. £1500 fitted and mapped dont know wether it was an offer or just the usual price

It is tempting as they bolt in but id rather go k24 bottom end first for the torque, imagine them cams on top though. POWER

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Stage one cams will be rather tame for a K24, these are designed for a stock block K20.
I see what your saying

When i was speaking to paul about going k24 he said the drop ins would be perfect

Mind You we were on about a standard k24a2 block on to a k20a2 head with drop ins. No high comp pistons involved

mike.williams

Advanced Member
The UK Accord type S block (k24a3) only has 10.5:1CR, so I guess that would work too.
Sorry i meant k20a3, got confused between the tsx block name which is an k20a2 but the same as our k20a3 lol

Back on topic
Is any body else tempted to get the drop in cams?

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
me as long as they make a difference over the oem dc5 ones! cause the oem cams on the ep3 where the Tdi drop cams were tested are much milder than ours! so these might not make any gians on our cars