Cams

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Chris

You may like to ask TDi how many cam chain failures that they have experienced...... and why it's happened....

A well designed 'system' (whole engine) will last a long time without issues... hence why I've had a long wait, but not for much longer !

All I was trying to advice, is that research should be done and all the pro's and con's need to be taken into account... many people see the big names i.e. Toda, Spoon etc and think they will be ok... but putting selective bits together in an engine... the whole 'system' is then not balanced and consequences happen as a result i.e excessive engine wear, blown motor....

I'm sorry to say, I can't go into specifics...

Stevieg

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
I'm sorry to say, I can't go into specifics...
:lol: :roll:

Like everyone says you always claim to know everything yet share nothing and make these bold claims that your mysterious super tuner knows all but it's top secret!

I expect if you shared any of your knowledge you'd have to kill them right? :lol:

I know one thing: I'd rather trust advice from TDi rather than "mysterious" unnamed tuner that you keep commenting about. Paul and Mark at TDi have worked for years on the K20 engine and many other cars. They are well respected and so are many of the other tuners you slag off without evidence...

How long has your mysterious super build been in development? 3 years? Wow I would hope it would be good for that wait!

If you have nothing to share why bother to comment - I just see your comments as forum trolling TBH....

celox performance

Advanced Member
Stevieg said:
celox performance said:
I forgot to mention that from last January I now need to use a cat with being in the roadgoing class :roll:

I presume cams would be fine with a cat?
Shouldnt be a problem as long as the car is mapped correctly for it - of course the cat will stiffle the performance somewhat. Can you get away with a sports cat? Some of the 100 cell ones can still pass MOTs and such if that helps?
The rules say that if a cat is required for your vehicle to be able to pass an MOT then it must be fitted. There is nothing to even suggest a sports cat wouldn't be suitable :D . That's the next item on my list while I ponder over these cams still...... :lol:

I'll speak to Paul @ TDi and ask him exactly what the downsides with fitting cams are. He did say when I spoke to him last that there are 'no side effects' to the Toda cams.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I make comments to try to indicate to fellow owners to look into more detail etc...

Yes, TDi are respected and do a good job..... so are some others ok....

My tuners name wouldn't mean a thing to most people... hence why don't mention names... but when he builds an engine /car with his 'team' they set out to make the whole system work... and work to achieve very high tolerances which reduces the risks involved....

I'm just as frustrated that I can't share what I have learned, but I must respect my tuners 'team' knowledge which they gained from doing their own research and testing.... You might say it gives them a competitive advantage.. so why should others learn from it free of charge :?:

Yes.. no lie my car has taken a while... but not 3 years... when it's complete it will have been worth the wait.. as the whole car is being treated as a 'system', thus revised aero is being considered along with suspension etc etc...

Evs

Advanced Member
Stevieg said:
If you have nothing to share why bother to comment - I just see your comments as forum trolling TBH....
Steve, that's a bit harsh tbh. I can see why people think this, and before I knew any better I used to feel the same frustration. I know Mike has signed a non-disclosure agreement and he literally can't say anything more than he does. He's in a difficult position knowing the limitations of certain parts from the work that his tuner has done, wants to warn people but can't be specific. He tries to help but can only go so far...

In the end it's up to people whether they want to take these comments on board, do their research and choose accordingly, or dismiss it as trolling or BS and carry on regardless. At the end of the day it's your money, your car, your risks and your consequences. So it's your call - but don't knock those who just suggest you think twice about it.

I'll say two things. First, I wouldn't fit a pair of Toda cams to my car. I thought about it when I was having all the other stuff done, for me it didn't stack up in terms of bang per buck and 'reversibility', but since that I've come across other info that make me think I did the right thing. Second, I've sampled the results of this guy's work on a 'standard' car (no aftermarket parts just setup) and they're pretty impressive - as in, if I'd paid good money for a manifold or whatever and got the same results then I'd be very happy.

Sorry but it's not my place to say any more - you could accuse me of being a troll as well - but if you are interested then have a look around on the DC2 forum and you will find a few people whose answers demonstrate a level of technical knowledge and detail that most of us can only marvel at.

Stevieg

Advanced Member
Hi Evs,

Maybe it was a bit harsh. However I've seen these comments and tuner bad mouthing from MJ Type-R so many times without any substantiated backup I had had enough and though I had to comment. From the looks of it I'm not the only one who feels this way...

Surely his tuner would want some lime light so that if he was so good, (which I'm not saying he isnt) he could benefit from an army of DC5 owners knocking on his door and giving him more money :?: I know I certainly would as having a good tuner is priceless and hard to find.

I'm not knocking anyone’s opinion but hate people arguing without any proof.

As for you being a troll - you can be grumpy and your avatar may resemble one :lol: :wink: but I wouldn’t accuse you of full troll status - you always provide good knowledge and substantial evidence to back it up.

Yep I agree the DC2 site has a wealth of knowledge which this forum sadly lacks - I was a member for a long time when I had my 2 previous dc2s and it was invaluable. TBH for any serious internal K20 engine advice I normally look elsewhere...

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Stevieg said:
Yep I agree the DC2 site has a wealth of knowledge
Well... if you have previously frequented the DC2 forum Steve... your know my tuner then... his very well respected on thier :idea: (his user name begins with P.......)

Thanks Evs for speaking up :wink:

Mike

Stevieg

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
Stevieg said:
Yep I agree the DC2 site has a wealth of knowledge
Well... if you have previously frequented the DC2 forum Steve... your know my tuner then... his very well respected on thier :idea: (his user name begins with P.......)

Thanks Evs for speaking up :wink:

Mike
...and finishes with o? :wink:

Why all the cloak and dagger stuff if it's common knowledge on the DC2 forum?

I think he used to visit the Lancer register as well and upset a few people on there :lol:

At the end of the day I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh but it winds me up when people make statements but dont back it up.

It will be good to finally see the finished product of all his labour :D

Evs

Advanced Member
It’s probably not actually common knowledge on the DC2 forum tbh, judging from the number of ‘what induction/exhaust should I buy to make more noise?’ and ‘Mugen or Toda are the only manifolds worth having’ type posts :lol:

Regarding your point about this chap promoting his services, my understanding is that he doesn’t need to advertise as he already has a long queue of customers and a full order book that he (they) don’t currently have the capacity to satisfy quickly.

The more important point is that if Mike is aware of some work this chap has done that has found shortcomings with the design of a particular brand of cam, it’s not Mike’s place to post that on the internet. If the tuner wants to post it then that’s up to him – although I think it is highly unlikely. If you start to damage a company's sales and reputation then things can get nasty - and I know for a fact that the company in question has taken action against a trader for exporting parts to the UK and undercutting the appointed UK distributors.

The chap in question also doesn't need (or want) to sell his services by knocking others. So he won’t say anything specific in public himself, and he certainly won’t want someone else putting words into his mouth that could get him into trouble and/or 'promote' his business in a way he wouldn't do himself… :idea:

I hope that explains the situation a bit better. And yes, I suspect when Mike’s DC5 is finally finished it will be something pretty special 8)

Project

Advanced Member
A little bit of topic but as were talking about it, can I ask Mike what your car is being set up for? i.e competition wise, and what other upgrades that you've done or could recomend doing (not engine wise) as I guess its just the engine that you can't talk about or is it the whole car?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The problem is that a lot of people are prepared to spend money and accept on face value what their tuner is doing. I know I don't, and most people who have commented in this thread know that they don't, but some do and more often then not tuners are happy to take money and leave the concequences in the hand of the punter. One very well known tuner does this time and time again yet people still don't see the light. I won't mention the tuners name but most on here can guess. That's enough on that subject anyway.