can discs be sprayed in a heatproof matt colour?

swanny1982

Advanced Member
Does anyone know if you can spray the discs and drum part of the disc that tends to get rusty in a heatproof matt black colour, fancied doing this along with a caliper spray!

I know that you can buy mtec paint coated discs but mine are still fairly new and would rather save the £££ and do it myself.

If not whats the best cleaning agent to get the rust off the discs?

Thanks in advance

Fez

Advanced Member
I have painted them on previous cars before with no issue, i used hammerite.

joiner

Advanced Member
Yes swammy1982, shouldn't be a problem, done mine with plain old Hammerite on all my cars for the last 20 years and never had a problem even the callipers, looks so much nicer and cleaner when washing around inside of wheels. Best method I use is a wire brush cup on an angle grinder if you can obtain them, then degrease and clean with meths or petrol. Yes under hard braking the paint might discolour and blister but for everyday driving should be fine.

swanny1982

Advanced Member
thanks for both responses, Ive seen the mtec discs in black that Rom on the forum here and purchased and want to copy that look, as you say a clean set of champ white alloys get ruined with rusty discs and faded calipers behind so want the whole lot looking fresh!

gaza4

Advanced Member
Another vote for hammerite...I've used it on the disks of many cars in the past and never had any issues.

dave7368

Advanced Member
2 piece discs, anodized alloy bells are the way forward, no paint needed and no rust! Imagine what you could do with all the cash you would have wasted on hammerite.. :xhappy:

miki1212

Advanced Member
dont these cost a little more than a few tins of hammerite though? lol and can you even get this sort of thing for the rears...

swanny1982

Advanced Member
where do you get these from and as above do they do it for the rears? Is that something that. Covers the outer disc also, looks confusing?

Rom

Advanced Member
It's a very expensive setup swanny. Designed ed to save weight mainly.
When the discs wear, you reuse the bells, and just buy the outer rotor.

You can use normal VHT paint, Halfords, eBay etc. I'd go for spray, over tins, and overspray will be rubbed off by the pads.

Sent from my S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk