can I buy back my car once it's been written off?

shelbygt500

Hi, I've written off my dc5 last night, (still crying) , speaking to insurance company to get the ball rolling and was wondering if anyone has ever been paid out and bought there car back for spares or project? Thanks for your help

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
shelbygt500 said:
Hi, I've written off my dc5 last night, (still crying) , speaking to insurance company to get the ball rolling and was wondering if anyone has ever been paid out and bought there car back for spares or project? Thanks for your help
Have the insurance said it's a write off? I know it doesn't take much as they are imports and rare but you never know....

What happened/damage to the car?

shelbygt500

Came of the road through a hedge and rolled over once, A pillar and roof bent in drivers side, 80% panels dented, I know the A pillar is a biggie when it comes to write offs but never had to claim before so didn't know what to expect.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
shelbygt500 said:
Came of the road through a hedge and rolled over once, A pillar and roof bent in drivers side, 80% panels dented, I know the A pillar is a biggie when it comes to write offs but never had to claim before so didn't know what to expect.
OUCH, you OK? does sound bad mate, sorry to hear that. Does sound like write off, engine/gearbox/running gear/interior etc will be salvageable hopefully, keep us informed on progress from ins.

T.G.

shelbygt500

Yeah i was lucky mate, there strong old girls, just a small cut and bruise to my head, I'm going to pic it up today to get it to a safer place. I'll find out if the engine and box are ok, I'll keep you posted

darkhawk

Advanced Member
My glanza was written of last year ( some one hit me )

I got 5000 back for it then bought it back at a % of what I was paid out depending on what category the car goes under

Think I paid 2300 for it which was worth it in my case as I managed to split the car for 6000 :p

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Real sorry to hear this I would be distraught mate :(

I saw my friends 106 roll over into a ditch, he wasn't driving aggressively just cruising at 50 on a well lit 60 limit road.

Hope everything works out with buying the car back.

P_trimble580

Sorry to hear this. A mate of mine had his car written off due to someone pulling out in front of him. He got £5600 from his insurance (what it was worth) but they sold it back to him for only £600. So he fixed it and is still driving away at her. Suppose it depends on insurance company. <br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9300<br /><br />

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Believe it or not you can even buy a CAT B back as long as you buy it back before it goes to the salvage yard.

Scary I know.

integraleo

Advanced Member
My last dc5 was cat b and I was told I wasn't allowed to buy it back. So I went down to where it was being kept (at local repair shop until it was officially written off) took out stereo,speakers,gearknob,parcel shelf and mats. The car had been there for 1 day and when I went to take parcel shelf out someone had already removed one of the rear boot lifters!!

shelbygt500

Thanks lads, very sad times. I'm still waiting on someone to get in touch from my insurance company to let me know what's happening and when they want to see her. Had a look round it last night and the engine still runs didn't try any gears, but there is a lot to salvage of it.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
So sorry to hear this - but am so glad you are ok! :)
Hope you can buy her back if that's what you want to do to break bits off and sell etc.

Neil@Greenlight

Authorised Trader
Sorry to hear this mate.

It Will depend on the Catagory of write off. If its Catagory C or D then it can be repaired and put back on the road subject to the VIC check.

If its a Catagory B car these can only be used for parts and cannot be put back on the road. Depending on who you are insured with they may not be willing to let you have a Cat B car back...However you could offer to sign a decleration sayng it will only be used for parts.

As a guide buying the salage back costs between 15-25% of the vehicle value payout. It can be a great idea especially on the rarer cars as things like the bodypanels, wheels and seats can be worth more than that alone....Let along the engine/gearbox etc.

You will need to request the salvage retention before accepting the insurers final offer. Once you take the insurers offer the car becomes their property and will often be moved to a salvage yard straightway.....If you agree to retain the salvage as part of your settlment would be the best bet. For Example they offer you £6500 for the car you say i'll take £5200 at the salvage"

Sorry to use the word Salvage its not what you want to hear your pride and joy called but its just the insurance terminology for a written off car.

Hope you get it sorted. If you need any advice dont hesitate to drop me a PM.

Best Regards
Neil

shelbygt500

Thanks Neil that's a big help, still waiting to hear back from them but it's good to get some background info on what's happening. I'll let you know what's been said when they call,
David

shelbygt500

Hi, sorry it's been a while but only just got it sorted (6 very stressful weeks) after a lot of chasing them up and putting up with attitude from one woman coz I "rang too many times" and been told someone will ring me in 3 days and not doing I've been paid out and i bought my car back for scrap value (180 pounds) .
they gave me after deducting my excess and scrap value £5420 and that's coming to me next week, I have to send them a CoD once I've stripped it down and scrapped the shell, im just happy I can move on.
So you will probably be seeing some parts for sale soon:-D looking for a red s2000 if anyone knows of one? Looking to pay no more than 5000.

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
Glad everything is sorted mate.

Call dibbs on your passenger side scuttle panel if its intact :p