Can I get any more camber?

Kenz

Advanced Member
Hi, I‘ve recently fitted a new set of wheels to my car that are staggered fitment, the fronts are 8j Et 38 and tears are 7.5j Et 50. Tears are fine but I have a feeling the fronts are going to catch slightly on the arch liner.
I have spoon springs and camber arms and camber bolts at the minute, when I had it set up at Grinspeed, Stevie said that the fronts were pretty much maxxed out at -1.5. Does anyone know a way around this without going to coilovers? From the Dc5 standard spec, -.5 (+/-1.0) I think the only way to get more would be to slot the front shocks slightly? Has anyone else done this before?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I have 7 inch et42 on the front (with 3mm spacers so I suppose et39), 225 width tyres and -1.2 camber and even they rub on heavy bounces.

Kenz

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I have 7 inch et42 on the front (with 3mm spacers so I suppose et39), 225 width tyres and -1.2 camber and even they rub on heavy bounces.
How low is the car?

Kenz

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I can just about fit 2 finger width front and rear, so about an inch clearance
Any pics close up of the front?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I had this issue before and made a thread on it back in 2016.

I wanted >2.5deg camber to fit my 17x9 et 37 (et45 plus 8mm spacer) wheels and originally had spoon springs. I went with coilovers that have slotted dampers so I can get camber at the top mount and bottom of the strut so now I've got >3deg camber.

There's no way of getting more camber than you've got already without going aftermarket dampers or as you've said... modify the oem dampers.

Indi

Advanced Member
As above you won't get anymore camber on OEM dampers. Looking at the pics the wheel isn't too flush with the arch anyway so you should be fine with the camber you're at if anything I'd maybe push the middle bracket that the arch liner clips to up using a bit of heat and your fingers and also maybe trim a little box section on your arch liner from middle clip to the next outer clip.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Indi said:
As above you won't get anymore camber on OEM dampers. Looking at the pics the wheel isn't too flush with the arch anyway so you should be fine with the camber you're at if anything I'd maybe push the middle bracket that the arch liner clips to up using a bit of heat and your fingers and also maybe trim a little box section on your arch liner from middle clip to the next outer clip.
Yeah a few have said that trimming it would solve the issue. Guess if it does rub a little that will be what I‘ll have to do, a few rubs and it should take off a little anyway .

Kenz

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I had this issue before and made a thread on it back in 2016.

I wanted >2.5deg camber to fit my 17x9 et 37 (et45 plus 8mm spacer) wheels and originally had spoon springs. I went with coilovers that have slotted dampers so I can get camber at the top mount and bottom of the strut so now I've got >3deg camber.

There's no way of getting more camber than you've got already without going aftermarket dampers or as you've said... modify the oem dampers.
Cheers for the input, like you I was hoping there would be a way round it without coilovers but it appears there isn‘t. I‘ll see how I get on. Worst case I can trim the arch liner down a little.

dave7368

Advanced Member
I have 8J ET37 and Spoon springs with -1.5deg camber which dont rub at all on the front...

Kenz

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
I have 8J ET37 and Spoon springs with -1.5deg camber which dont rub at all on the front...
That‘s good to hear dave. Cheers

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Im running 18x8x35 on coilovers wiyh no rubbing atall with 1.5 degree camber all round... tyres are the wrong size though whih helps clearence