can't get these things off my paint!

truupR

Advanced Member
So, giving the teg a well deserved wash today after procrastinating about it for 2 weeks or so (assuming this good weather wouldn't actually last (like it never does in Wales)). Rinsed it down, gave it a good twice over using the 2 bucket method and all that usual washing malarky.

I noticed before the wash there were these strange brownish/yellowish blotches scattered over the roof and on the top of the spoiler - so only on the flat surfaces. Didn't worry too much, nothing a double wash and clay bar wouldn't fix, right?

Wronnnnngg. After scrubbing it twice and really focusing down on each mark whilst washing, made very little difference. There were a few scattered around the windscreen and rear windscreen pillars which came off without any effort at all. Dried it off after I'd finished washing and went to work with some detailer and a claybar. Made absolutely no difference.

So out came a home remedy which worked wonders on my previous 197 F1 which was riddled with artillery fungus (think that may be the american term for it). This concoction consists of distilled white vinegar mixed with bicarbonate of soda - sounds daft but really did wonders to that gunk that was stuck to my 197 that I couldn't even scrape off with a finger nail.

Anyway story time over. Here's some pictures of these blotches, in the first picture the car is still slightly wet - its not the paint bubbling lol. If anyone knows what they are and/or what to use to get rid of them, I'd be very grateful!

(these were verrrrrrrrry difficult to photograph using an iphone so apologies for the poor image quality/clarity)

G Man

Advanced Member
If claybar isn't removing them then it sounds like the laquer is damaged, unfortunately :(

Rom

Advanced Member
If clay hasnt touched it, and no cleaners have either, your last hope is probably wet sanding it. You can (in general not saying your paint is healthy enough) go back to 1200 grit if you need too. But try some 3000 first and work down.

You will need a rotary or da to remove the marks left from sanding though.

This will only help if the marks are in the lacquer, which they should be if its something from the top. If its come from under the paint, your screwed, repaint is only option.

truupR

Advanced Member
thanks for the replies chaps

Haven't taken the DA to it yet - that's next on the list. Will give it a few passes with some megs #105 on the DA and see how it comes up. I was hoping someone would go 'ohhh I've had this you just want to use X and Y and you'll be golden'

I cleaned the car 2 weeks ago or just under and these marks weren't there. So I'm hoping it's just something that's incredibly stubborn to get off rather than something that's damaged the paint :<

I'll let you know how I get on :(

truupR

Advanced Member
I've tried autoglym's tar remover, forgot to mention that whoops!

Whilst they've certainly faded since I've been using all this various stuff, they're still clearly visible to the naked eye. If the weather holds out tomorrow I'll try the DA with the cutting compound - failing that then I may consider sanding as a last resort. Not to keen on taking sandpaper to my paint though :s

Sgtscotty182

Advanced Member
It's possibly tree sap that's landed on there with leaves. If it's been sunny then it's melted and really bonded with the lacquer on the paint. My old man had this on his Insignia vxr a few years ago and the only way he got it off (without sanding) was to heat it up with a hair dryer, spray on some tar/sap remover then let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe away...repeat until clear. No damage to paint or lacquer and no need for DA or Sanding. Just don't go nuts with the hair dryer

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

truupR

Advanced Member
Don't have access to iron-x on short notice, would have to be an internet order jobby.

In the mean time, took the DA to the marks on the spoiler, used some megs #105 with a yellow sonus (?) pad as i totally forgot to wash my hexlogic the last time i used it..... 5 months ago lol :xredface: but the pad/compound combo gave a pretty nice cut.

Actually worked!!! Sadly didn't get in from work until gone 8 and don't think my neighbors would appreciate me detailing all the roof for the next hour or so.

Sadly I've solved one problem and started another - it's now clear to see how tired some of the paintwork is looking compared to my gleaming spoiler! (perhaps not so obvious to those without the OCD eye that almost all teg owners develop) Need to get on the case and do the whole car in the next few weeks.

Still have absolutely no idea what it was but Scotty you sound like you're onto something given there's a few dozen HUGE trees about 5 yards opposite the car and I always get leaves and other bumf from those trees landing on the car

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
truupR said:
Don't have access to iron-x on short notice, would have to be an internet order jobby.

In the mean time, took the DA to the marks on the spoiler, used some megs #105 with a yellow sonus (?) pad as i totally forgot to wash my hexlogic the last time i used it..... 5 months ago lol :xredface: but the pad/compound combo gave a pretty nice cut.

Actually worked!!! Sadly didn't get in from work until gone 8 and don't think my neighbors would appreciate me detailing all the roof for the next hour or so.

Sadly I've solved one problem and started another - it's now clear to see how tired some of the paintwork is looking compared to my gleaming spoiler! (perhaps not so obvious to those without the OCD eye that almost all teg owners develop) Need to get on the case and do the whole car in the next few weeks.

Still have absolutely no idea what it was but Scotty you sound like you're onto something given there's a few dozen HUGE trees about 5 yards opposite the car and I always get leaves and other bumf from those trees landing on the car
The tar from the trees are pretty annoying to get rid of normally, I guess 2 weeks of it being untouched with the sun recently blazing made it even harder to remove unfortunately!

Glad you got it sorted though :D

wj51fut

Advanced Member
AutoGlym Tar and Glue remover will get rid of tree sap. Clay bar it afterwards then use the DA. Should come up really nice.

yn08_teg

Hi guys,

So I have exactly the same problem on the roof of my CW car. I've been reading through this thread but can't for the life of me work out what a DA is...?

At the moment I have next to nothing in terms of cleaning and detailing products and with Xmas on the horizon I'm looking for some products to add to the old Xmas list!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Hi guys,

So I have exactly the same problem on the roof of my CW car. I've been reading through this thread but can't for the life of me work out what a DA is...?

At the moment I have next to nothing in terms of cleaning and detailing products and with Xmas on the horizon I'm looking for some products to add to the old Xmas list!
DA = Dual action polisher.

Traditionally body shop polisher used to all be rotary (ie spining in a circular motion on a fixed point, the same way car wheels do). They've always been awesome for working fast due to the heat power and friction you can impact on a body panel. However, this has always also been a drawback of rotary polisher as inexperienced users can damage paintwork very easily when used wrong.

Enter the dual action. These retain the rotary motion of the traditional machines but they also have a second movement which is to oscillate/orbit around a larger circle. Essentially making them alot safer than the rotary polishers.

yn08_teg

Many thanks for the explanation. A quick look on the internet reveals a whole world of these available. Does anyone have any particular recommendations regarding these?

The options available run into the hundreds of pounds. Whilst I don't want to spend a fortune, I would like something decent and am prepared to pay a little extra for that. Obviously I will have a trawl of the internet reviews, but if anyone has some particular recommendations, that would be a good starting point.

Many Thanks in advance

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Many thanks for the explanation. A quick look on the internet reveals a whole world of these available. Does anyone have any particular recommendations regarding these?

The options available run into the hundreds of pounds. Whilst I don't want to spend a fortune, I would like something decent and am prepared to pay a little extra for that. Obviously I will have a trawl of the internet reviews, but if anyone has some particular recommendations, that would be a good starting point.

Many Thanks in advance
Best started kit would be to get onto Clean your car website. Look at the Das6 pro packages. There's one with Lake Country pads and Memzerna polishes. That's the one I would be buying. If your starting out you don't need to have a flex or Rupes machine (I've got a Rupes Bigfoot Mk2 polisher and it hasn't seen much use to be honest yet cost me 350 quid.

One thing you definitely need to know if that before the polisher can touch the paint the car has to be throughly decontamination free. Ie claybarred thoroughly top to bottom.

yn08_teg

Excellent, I'll check it out. To be honest I need to get myself a whole load of detailing products so I'll be scouring the websites over the next few days. On the look out for some pre-christmas bargains

Thanks for the tips!