Car Cancer!!!

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
I noticed today there is some tiny bits of surface rust right on the inside of my rear arches, but me being so fastideous with my car i defintately dont want it to spead :( whats the best course of treatment please????

Thanks

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
If its on a painted part of the arch I'd personally scotch bright it, then treat with rust killer from halfrauds then touch up with touch up stick :)

chiefpulsar

Advanced Member
in all honesty treat it straight away as it will spread over time. clean, rust gurad (it will never stop servere rust once it sets in) prime and then touch in.

DC5DAVE

Had the same on mine a while back,

If it's actual rust there's little point in t-cutting/polishing as it'll just come back.

Mask the area neatly with duck tape or similar heavy tape to avoid removing paint from surrounding area, use medium grit emery paper to take it right back to clean bare metal.

Make sure it's bone dry, use a heat gun/hair dryer to get a bit of warmth into the arch. If the metal is pitted use a dab of Kurust or similar & let it dry, then zinc primer, let it dry, remove tape & touch in with right color of touch up. Job done.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
i am glad this thread came up as i have been spotting bits forming on mine too so will get it sorted now i know how :)

Vtequila

Dutchy
I would like to see some before & after shots for this problem. My arches will have to get done someday aswell.

DC5DAVE

Also worth checking where the rear bumper meets the back quarter at the edge of the arch while your in there.
If memory serves me correct there's a little plastic captive that clips into the quarter where the bumper mount screws onto, rust tends to flare up there quite quickly so worth dropping the bumper, popping the plastic captive out and taking it back to clean metal if there's any sign of rust there also.

:xhappy:

davidpingu

Advanced Member
DC5DAVE said:
Had the same on mine a while back,

If it's actual rust there's little point in t-cutting/polishing as it'll just come back.

Mask the area neatly with duck tape or similar heavy tape to avoid removing paint from surrounding area, use medium grit emery paper to take it right back to clean bare metal.

Make sure it's bone dry, use a heat gun/hair dryer to get a bit of warmth into the arch. If the metal is pitted use a dab of Kurust or similar & let it dry, then zinc primer, let it dry, remove tape & touch in with right color of touch up. Job done.
This +1

As Dave has said if you don't completely get rid of it all other measures will only slow it down. Only way to get rid of it is to sand it all away to good metal. Best do it now while it is surface rust as it can often spread below the paint surface where you can't see it so if left for too long will become a worse job than it needs to be.

Got my arches priced up the other day too where they have rusted from stone chips. £150 per arch to rub to metal, treat, prime and feather in.

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Alex_Wilson said:
Think we need to spend a day on this mate and get mine and yours done!
Yeah mate we do, i have bought all the stuff we need this morning to do the job via DC5DAVE's advice ;-)

barsby2k10

Advanced Member
When I first got mine I cleaned the arches and let them dry fully. Then used hammerite and painted the inside of the arch including the inside of the lip around the arch with a nice thick coat. Then I waxoyl'd the whole arch every 6 months. When my car was bought the buyer commented on the great condition of the arches!

This doesn't help with rust on the outer surface tho sorry...although I would have though the rust spreads from the inside as this is where debris and water/salt can collect and begin the rusting.

Obviously if you are going to do this you need to treat the rust first with a rust converting product.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I would look at bilt hammers products. Worth it tbh.

Personally I would do it once and do it right.

Rub it all back to bare metal. Treat. Apply rust bullet. Paint. Clear, then seal with stonechip.