Car cut out in traffic

hondaft

Advanced Member
Getting a bit worried about this in case it happens again at speed.

The engine randomly cut out when I was sitting in traffic this morning but started again fine and was driving fine.

I should mention though that it didn't get driven much over Christmas and when I turned it over and left it running it was idling weird. It would sit at 1.5k revs then rev itself to 2k then drop back to 1.5k and kept repeating that but was fine when I turned the car off and on again. I thought it maybe needed a good run so I gave it some VTEC and thought that would be the end of it but obviously not :(

Any idea what it is? Sticky throttle body?

Thanks guys

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Had a similar issue with an old ej9 civic (also left standing for about 1 month).
After cleaning the IACV and TB it was back to as new!

hondaft

Advanced Member
Thanks mate :) thought that might be the case, is it likely that it will happen again at speed or is it only likely to cut out if I'm idling?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It probably only cut out when it was idling as the revs dropped so low simulating a stall. Moving shouldn't be an issue as you will have your foot on the accelerator pedal with the engine revving as it should.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Fahadl786 said:
Had a similar issue with an old ej9 civic (also left standing for about 1 month).
After cleaning the IACV and TB it was back to as new!
Yep, cleaning out the IACV will do it. If not or you don't fancy taking it apart, then give it a good B road blast. That will clear the cobwebs!

adam.

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Yep, cleaning out the IACV will do it. If not or you don't fancy taking it apart, then give it a good B road blast. That will clear the cobwebs!
A good old fashioned Italian de-coke!

hondaft

Advanced Member
Haha thanks guys, appreciate it :)

I gave it a wee blast the other day as well but maybe it needs some more :p and I'll give the IACV a clean at the weekend

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
I had similar problem.. All due to a bad iacv..

First kept reving from 1k to 2k when it was in idle after being warmed up.. Tool the iacv out and cleaned it with brake cleaner and was fine thereafter..

Until recently when i put clutch down to change gears, revs drop down to 500revs and sometimes even more, going into the red zone and cutting out..

Switched the iacv with someone else and it has been better.. Car hasn't cut out but rev still drops drops when engine is cold.. Its good when its all warmed up though

BenLAST

Advanced Member
All of my Honda's (CTR, Prelude, ITR, EK4) have done the hunting idle issue when left standing for a number of weeks, 10/15min drive and once warmed up give it a bit of a blast and the issue clears.