car drives with clutch fully pressed

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
hi guys i have a question,
i've recently had this. my car was rolling at about 5 kilometers an hour, i pressed the clutch and revved the car, but to my surprise the car accelerated sligthly even though i fully pressed the clutch. I know that this is the case on motorcycles (you always see the chain tension when revving) but not sure if this is normal or not.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
First try adjusting the clutch peddle to make sure its pushing slave out far enough. Falling that new clutch kit for you as its called clutch drag and usually caused by warn release bearing or cover. Surprised you can change gear at high RPM though as normally this would also cause lock out too as box is still slightly connected to the fly

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Yeah i can still change gear at high RPM, however from 1st to 2nd at 8k rpm or higher it does feel like it's locked and i really have to pull it in to 2nd with force. And from 4th to 5th it crunches at high rpm. Recently replaced my gearbox oil, made 1st to 2nd changes better at low rpm, but still the same problem at high rpm. So adjusting the clutch pedal might also solve or at least make this problem less noticable?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

When I start my car up from cold, change gear the needle and revs fly up. Does this till it's pretty much warm.

I do have a clutch that's on its way out, is the cause of the revs to shoot up like this?

It's been getting noticeably worse these past few weeks.

ste01

Advanced Member
It's probably just to do with the warm up cycle on the engine. As we know they want to rev higher than warm idle...around 1500-2000 when cold but if you're driving it could be below this range depending on gear selected. So when you press the clutch to change gear it releases the load the engine and it's free to rev up. I bet it's something like that anyway

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Spot on description st01 ;) also it's getting colder now so will be more pronounced.

T.G.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I've had my car 4 years now and every year around this time like clockwork everyone starts complaining about idle, its just the way they are.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Had a feeling it was idle and weather related.

What's weird is that I had filled the tank up to the brim with V power at the start of Oct.

As I've been skint the past week or so I put £20 of Momentum99 in and not only has the car being running terribly, the engine has also gotten noisier in addition to the increase in revs but I will put that down to the cold starts and weather at present.