Car feels a bit erratic under acceleration

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Not having a dig at anyone that's uprated to aftermarket bushes but imo based on previous upration (is that a word?) lol, that it actually makes things worse. My CRX handling was ruined when I changed the full Bush setup to aftermarket and I'll never do it again in any car. Not saying don't change the bushes, just stick to OEM as they're designed to last a long time and you know there's no messing around with them fitting etc. Up to each of us what we choose to do with our cars but it would be Honda bushes for me every time.
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
With that in mind, whats your take on bump steer problems and the general all over place nature of a lowered dc5? And how best to fix it..........

I spoke to tgm about this and they said they were " not aware of any such problems" Whaat!?!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jdm4life said:
With that in mind, whats your take on bump steer problems and the general all over place nature of a lowered dc5? And how best to fix it..........

I spoke to tgm about this and they said they were " not aware of any such problems" Whaat!?!
Not qualified enough to answer that question tbh chief. From what I've read lowering makes the car handle worse. Mine is erratic over bumps and skittish, just doesn't feel composed but I'm hoping that's down to my new tyres not being fully scrubbed in yet but I've never been happy with the handling on mine since I had it but I've been used to smaller sized cars.

A boring cliche but these cars are at the age where things are starting to go wrong and that includes the handling.

As mentioned for me the best solution would be a full OEM bush refresh, I'm talking every bush. A decent suspension whether that be coilovers or another make, for me it would have to be Bilstein over other more expensive makes, either Bilsten B14 or a Bilstein OEM replacement damper with a decent spring, wouldn't go Eibach again but that's just me.

The thing is, DC5's look so good low and I think therein lies the problem, people want them slammed. I'd love mine a little lower, it's currently 30mm front and rear but it just doesn't look low enough but if you go lower you get more problems.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I agree with sticking to oem, but without replacing the whole arm, you can't buy oem replacements for yhe DC5 Marc. Hence why I went with hardened rubber ftom hardrace. You'd feel a difference over worn, but ive forgotten i had them done tbh. Lol I personally wouldn't have polyurethane ones either.

But before o changed all of mu suspension components over i still didn't have any issues with wayward handling. When im back from dubai ill dig out my geo settings.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
I agree with sticking to oem, but without replacing the whole arm, you can't buy oem replacements for yhe DC5 Marc. Hence why I went with hardened rubber ftom hardrace. You'd feel a difference over worn, but ive forgotten i had them done tbh. Lol I personally wouldn't have polyurethane ones either.
But before o changed all of mu suspension components over i still didn't have any issues with wayward handling. When im back from dubai ill dig out my geo settings.
Who set your car up??

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:

Ah right, wasn't aware of that.

You mentioned there about not going for polyurethane, the ones I put on the CRX were polyurethane which may explain the wayward and horrible handling.

So what are Hardrace made of then?

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
I opted for hardrace. Just solid rubber, stiffer, yet retain as close to OEM feeling as possible.

Superpro and all those will be alot firmer, and some tend to squeak and squeal if grease has worn out so be mindful .
You have a link for the hardrace set you bought Jimmer? Going to have someone check the car over. There's a knock up front over bad enough bits of the road and with drop links and suspension all new it leaves the bushes so whatever it needs it gets.

mikeyw85

I get a bit of a clunky knock noise over band bumps and pot holes. Seems to come from near side front. This probably won't be helping, so was another reason to freshen the suspension up a little.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Jdm4life said:
Who set your car up??
My cousin. He works at Jag/ Aston Martin in Exeter (now just Jag)

The machine they use has to be calibrated every month. They have weights to put on each side etc and we even went as far as a full tank of fuel. Haha so its a pretty well sorted device.

Booked a Saturday and went on over, I watched him set it up :) took about 1 hour but was done perfectly, (not just within tolerance) he got both side reading exactly the same front and back. Funnily enough it was set up to the spec of a DC2 which been absolutely fine for me. I previously had it set up with settings ftom TGM and again although they were different, I never had any issues with that one either. Might not be the best but its not tracked atall, all I know is it goes and turns fine for me. Lol and i like a B road blast. Kept my mates evo on its toes around Brecon recently ;) hehe

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Ah right, wasn't aware of that.

You mentioned there about not going for polyurethane, the ones I put on the CRX were polyurethane which may explain the wayward and horrible handling.

So what are Hardrace made of then?
Hardrace use hardened rubber. They have been fine, whereas oem seem to have little cut outs in the rubber bushes, these are solid rubber....mine have shown zero signs of wear as yet. I replaced mine purely for peice of mind...so cannot grantee that it will cure any issues people have above as there will be so many variables. But it did tighten everything up. :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
JDM-DC5 said:
You have a link for the hardrace set you bought Jimmer? Going to have someone check the car over. There's a knock up front over bad enough bits of the road and with drop links and suspension all new it leaves the bushes so whatever it needs it gets.
I used RE spirit on the forum bud :) they have a thread in the traders section with them listed.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
My cousin. He works at Jag/ Aston Martin in Exeter (now just Jag)

The machine they use has to be calibrated every month. They have weights to put on each side etc and we even went as far as a full tank of fuel. Haha so its a pretty well sorted device.

Booked a Saturday and went on over, I watched him set it up :) took about 1 hour but was done perfectly, (not just within tolerance) he got both side reading exactly the same front and back. Funnily enough it was set up to the spec of a DC2 which been absolutely fine for me. I previously had it set up with settings ftom TGM and again although they were different, I never had any issues with that one either. Might not be the best but its not tracked atall, all I know is it goes and turns fine for me. Lol and i like a B road blast. Kept my mates evo on its toes around Brecon recently ;) hehe
When I had my OEM suspension fitted it was also originally done based on the DC2 lol.

Wasn't a full Geo setup as such, just a basic alignment.

Jimmer said:
Hardrace use hardened rubber. They have been fine, whereas oem seem to have little cut outs in the rubber bushes, these are solid rubber....mine have shown zero signs of wear as yet. I replaced mine purely for peice of mind...so cannot grantee that it will cure any issues people have above as there will be so many variables. But it did tighten everything up. :)
Thanks for this info James. Are Hardrace expensive? So what's polyurethane made of then, always thought it was rubber??

If you use them on a race car it makes it a 'Hardrace' to win ha ha ha!!

Sorry. :(

Rom

Advanced Member
You can use any car to setup a dc5 on geo. As long as you use the settings you want, rather than the car entered. All it does it give the base / desired readings. So the machine will have the red and green box etc.
Ideally use a dc5 of course, or create a manual profile. Any machine that doesn't have a dc5, is probably quite out dated, or oem specific, and not updated for anything but that brand.

I work for Land Rover, we have 2 Hunter machines, both have a dc5 on.

As for oem feel, you are quite right crazylegs, it's easy to ruin the feel of a car when uprating bushes.
I did this to my 205, absolutely ruined the feel and comfort of the car. Sure it handled great, but vibrated, rattled, shook etc.
I've learnt from that, and now I'll uprate stuff,but only marginally.
I have engine inserts, mainly as I have a Buddyclub mani with no flexi.
Hard race rear arms, as I need camber adjustment.
I'll fit hard race front arm bushes when mine need it.

But I won't be going silly hard shore ratings again on anything.

Back to original post. Pulling up der acceleration is very often arm bushes. As you accelerate, the arm literally moves with the torque, causing it to pull one way. Quite often you get a reverse effect when braking.

Geo will also effect it. These cars are very susceptible to geo. Mine was horrible when I picked it up. All over the place, skittish over bumps etc.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Darren4

Advanced Member
I had this problem when accelerating hard into vtec, was quite fun hanging on for dear life haha.

Since i've had my FRSU done the car feels so much more focused and planted on the road, so that could be a good place to start :)

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
I've replaced ARB bushes to pro sport along with hard race drop links front and rear. Didn't help mine any other than stop the knocking at the rear. Saying that, whatever the cause of my steering under acceleration is may not be the same for someone else. All the help is great though as always

badeshi

Advanced Member
Mine is still a bit skittery on rough roads much better on smooth stuff. I made it better by softening and raising the rear slightly. I think I may try a bilstein switch up at some point as it is still quite 'focussed' for everyday driving!