car running lean.. i think

12T

Advanced Member
Grangey said:
JDC5 said:
Grangey said:
jesus man, welcome to the world of cars! excrement goes wrong, its costs money to replace, i suggest you go buy a bike if you were thinking it wouldnt happen to you. TDI are only human, and if all signs point to an o2 sensor as everyone here has already suggested, then naturally thats what theyl replace and want to be paid for it! if that doesnt fix the problem, then naturally the next think to replace is the wiring, and of corse will want to be paid for that. again if that doesnt work, then they can only relate it back to the ecu which is where they're at now.

Dont go slating a company when they are doing their jobs, they are not gods, they cannot touch a car and it talks back to them for it to say "i have this broken" they have to trace errors as best they can, starting from the simplest, and going to the most complicated which is exactly what they have done.

Look if your going throught the stress im going throught i think u would understand better...
Firstly dude I have been the type of stress you've been through if not worse, so i dont understand where you're comming from but you also need to see the reason behind it.

JDC5 said:
now i knw in the future not to trust companies as much, they are out to rob your hard earn money.. to them we are just small fish only.. they have bigger customers so what do they care..
So what you're saying is they have customers that come in every day and build a 20k track car so they dont need your custom? you must be high on petrol fumes. All businesses like them rely on repeat business an especially business like yours. I have never used TDi in my life but I have heard good things about them generally and they are doing absolutly no different to what any other garage would do so I dont see how they deserve to be slated for it?! Maybe you should get the work done at Honda themselves then we'll see which bill hurts more and who gets the work done quicker.
I think maybe you should tune ur car at tdi then? Price is £110 per hour same as honda i think.

I paid £1600 just for fitting cams and mapping :roll: wich i could of spent £800 everything done elsewhere. Reason i went to tdi is they told me the price is goin to be Roughly £1100-1200 which is about 6-9hrs labour max.
Paying time came they whack me the bill 1600k :shock: 12hr labour and they said its fair because they did take 12hrs??
And admitted they had a lil co*k up on the pricing with me?? Little??? what a big co*k up!!!
Also just found out my car is also running lean around 2.8k-5.9k rpm....
mapped by them aswell.

12T

Advanced Member
tron2k3 said:
So was the new o2 sensor actually fitted and tested?
Nope didnt need to its was totally the wrong map they stuck in his car!!! JD will explain later.

12T

Advanced Member
In the end of the day we are entitled to give our opinions in this forum we are not slating the company but this is how we feel and what we have gone through.

Me and JD booked our cars in the same time to get it done now we have more and more problems. I seriously regret taking my car their after being ripped off and finding out my car isnt even mapped properly. Me and JD had many quotes from other companies in the end we decided to go to tdi as the price is not far from it also its close to home and they are a big well known company.
I mean cmon the price we are paying we should get top quality service and proffesional advice right?
I found thats not the case when i had my car done they even tried charging me extra £500 for fitting in a inlet cam pulley that didnt work , WHICH was not needed in the first place and blamed me for writing it down on the job sheet :roll: lol even blamed that the pulley was faulty....also had the cheek to say "well customers bring in stuff they dont even know and tell us to stick it in" hmmmmmmmm I was thinking if i brought a vacum cleaner to bolt on my car would u stick that on??
We come to you for proffesional advice and this is wat i get lol

Alot of tunners i spoke to told me when fitting cams you wont be needing a inlet cam pulley because it dosent work as the standard one is tuneable(most ppl with cams can confirm that), in the end i didnt have to pay for that which was good but i was still stunned by the bill of 1.6k..
That day i took my car back i was soo pi**ed off i wanted to beat something up soo bad but kept my cool if it was a cold enough day u could see the steam come out of my ears loool

I have heard quite a few bad things about this company(from friends and other forums) but still gave them benifit of doubt and went to them.
The work on my car just feels like its banged on and mapped quickly and not fine tuned.
I do feel like we are small fish to them like JD says, we spent £3k the both of us, whats that compared to the 20k projects they have their? They even have ferrari's pulling up there.

OH well whats done is done i cant change that.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
If you going to bite the bullet and take it up the backside. It seems that the map is the only issue, is that correct :?:

If so you could try and take it to Paul at TDi North he will sort the map out and make sure it's all running ok. I for one can vouch for is mapping skills on the Kpro and many others will also from here and other forums, especially hondas. It's a bit of a track I know but if you just want it sorted, there's a solution.

pudski

Advanced Member
12T said:
Grangey said:
JDC5 said:
Grangey said:
jesus man, welcome to the world of cars! excrement goes wrong, its costs money to replace, i suggest you go buy a bike if you were thinking it wouldnt happen to you. TDI are only human, and if all signs point to an o2 sensor as everyone here has already suggested, then naturally thats what theyl replace and want to be paid for it! if that doesnt fix the problem, then naturally the next think to replace is the wiring, and of corse will want to be paid for that. again if that doesnt work, then they can only relate it back to the ecu which is where they're at now.

Dont go slating a company when they are doing their jobs, they are not gods, they cannot touch a car and it talks back to them for it to say "i have this broken" they have to trace errors as best they can, starting from the simplest, and going to the most complicated which is exactly what they have done.

Look if your going throught the stress im going throught i think u would understand better...
Firstly dude I have been the type of stress you've been through if not worse, so i dont understand where you're comming from but you also need to see the reason behind it.

JDC5 said:
now i knw in the future not to trust companies as much, they are out to rob your hard earn money.. to them we are just small fish only.. they have bigger customers so what do they care..
So what you're saying is they have customers that come in every day and build a 20k track car so they dont need your custom? you must be high on petrol fumes. All businesses like them rely on repeat business an especially business like yours. I have never used TDi in my life but I have heard good things about them generally and they are doing absolutly no different to what any other garage would do so I dont see how they deserve to be slated for it?! Maybe you should get the work done at Honda themselves then we'll see which bill hurts more and who gets the work done quicker.
I think maybe you should tune ur car at tdi then? Price is £110 per hour same as honda i think.

I paid £1600 just for fitting cams and mapping :roll: wich i could of spent £800 everything done elsewhere. Reason i went to tdi is they told me the price is goin to be Roughly £1100-1200 which is about 6-9hrs labour max.
Paying time came they whack me the bill 1600k :shock: 12hr labour and they said its fair because they did take 12hrs??
And admitted they had a lil co*k up on the pricing with me?? Little??? what a big co*k up!!!
Also just found out my car is also running lean around 2.8k-5.9k rpm....
mapped by them aswell.
Had a look at your datalogs, and your running 14.5 at some points between 2.8k-5.9k in WOT.
Should be 13.2 :!: you might need to add as much as 10% fuel in some bits :shock: :roll:

Grangey

Advanced Member
Well in which case although I still stand by their methods, £110p/h Jesus!!! I now somewhat understand your frustrations more. If its a mechanical issue rather than a tuning/map issue honestly mate call Hond-R in future for things like O2 sensors etc. They might be further way but you will deffinatly get a brilliant service and pay less by the hour, and they know k20s like the back of their hand considering the conversions theyv done with them!

www.hond-r.com

12T

Advanced Member
Thanks pudski.
LoL i cant believe they stuck in the wrong base map for JD and blamed it on the sensors then the wiring even more he had to pay out all this crap.
Professional :roll:

fonz600

Advanced Member
12T said:
Thanks pudski.
LoL i cant believe they stuck in the wrong base map for JD and blamed it on the sensors then the wiring even more he had to pay out all this crap.
Professional :roll:
If you want some help with your map PM me it with a datalog.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Hmmmmm, more than meets the eye then. Sorry to hear about your issues. Been there with garages myself, and do a heck of a lot myself now. That way you at least know where you stand. :wink:

They seem to have been clutching at straws, and to be honest I'm surprised they don't use a seperate O2 sensor in your tailpipe when mapping which would have told them what A/F your car is actually running when on WOT instead of relying entirely on the Honda one. :?

One possible thing to check I remember my mate having some interesting O2 sensor readings and it turned out to be a KManager issue with Vista, so make sure your software, and the map uploaded to your car is from the latest version of KManager.

Assuming you've not got a CAT, you can compare your Secondary O2 sensor reading with your primary O2 reading. They should be fairly similar, if anything the secondary should be roughly within 0.1V of the primary.
When on WOT, a quick reference on your secondary ~0.75V would be an A/F of 14-15; ~1V would be an A/F of 11-12; This isn't exact, but might give you a step for a hint as to how you are running!!

JDC5

Charged DC5
I will post up my replies soon...Just been really stressed abt the whole situation!! I'm just gona give Sam at TDi south a chance to either sort out the problems.. or I will have to take it further, as in get the trading standards involved...

I've email sam as wen i spoke to him in person and on the phone he still dont undestand where im coming from and why i'm pissed all..

all will be explained after monday..

Not Happy

Jimmy

vkcs20

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear about all your problems mate. I'm on your side, with regard to garages/ businesses not being professional. AND please don't give me that error is human c rap! These businesses charge us for labour and "professional services" for like £30 an hour or more, don't really know the exact rate. Things should NOT go wrong! but even when they do, you have to go through the hassle of getting frustrated and beg them to look into THEIR mistakes!

I would advice you to look into the Small Claims Court. DO NOT LET BUSINESSES TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU.

youngsan

Advanced Member
running lean

read most of the posts on here regarding mods/running lean - seems that I should get my air/fuel ratio checked this week - I have std induction adn engine etc, but with a decat stainless system and 4-2 buddy club ceramic coated manifold. I have no intentions to mod any further - what do you think my chances are of it being safe air/fuel wise.

I dont want to go to getting a kpro or aftermarket ecu, so may have to get std exhaust and manifold i guess if it proves too lean :cry:

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
Hello buddy,

Bob it in and we can check your AFR and fault codes. You know where we are :wink:

Stevie