car wash damage?(now with pics)

flex1984

Advanced Member
im so f//ked off today,took my car into bp car wash and its taken loads of paint and chunks of fibreglass off my front bumper. :xmad:

i go and complain and all u get is some saturday kid saying put it into writing and send to head office, which will end up in nothing

is there anything i can do, or anyone i can contact?

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Re: car wash damage?

Thats a shitter mate. However Id never, ever, take my car into one of those car washes.

Hand wash FTW.

Hoodster

Advanced Member

I would leave my car dirty before using one of those automated car washes I think you will have to chalk this one up to experience

JT3173

Advanced Member

Sorry to hear that mate but I guess you have learnt that lesson the hard way!

Since I had a slight scratch on my first car (Focus) my later DC2, R300, DC5 have never been in one and I will never use one again, you just never know!

Nice cars get hand washed full stop.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member

Ya must'nt like your Teg if you went through one of those Auto-carwashes! [-X

WestYorkshireman

Advanced Member

I never take mine through a carwash or those dodgy handwash places with their buckets full of grit I always wash it myself, a bit of a chore sometimes granted but at least I know its done correctly but I get a lot of satisfaction when I see it clean and shiny :D

flex1984

Advanced Member

yup have to go down as lesson learnt but il get some pics up soon,u guys wont beleave the damage :xconfused:

funny thing is i hade a guy come over to take away the chips and marks on the car and this happens before he got here,

all marks are gone but now got great big marks on bumper,lol

lesson learnt i guess

Tim J

Advanced Member

Interesting to see Fifth gear do a test a few months ago and they reckoned that the car wash left the least amount of scratches etc, however, if you;

use a mitt
wash your blade ( which removes excess water )
and chamois after

then I fail to see how hand washing can produce the amount of damage Fifth Gear showed.

Hand wash FTW and use good products, the comments I always got after washing the black VT using Autoglym :xyes:

In response to flex - take photo's and draft an informative as opposed to an emotional letter to BP stating damage occurred with repair quotes (there may be a seperate company who take care of the car washing machines so get a contact name & number and send afore mentioned letter to them as well) but there could be some small print alongside the car wash machine which caveat's any damage

HTH

Cheers

Tim J

hussain124

Advanced Member
mate you have a aftermarket bumper? could it because of the bad spray job on the front bumper? still a bad damage though, hope they pay you

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you don't have a leg to stand on, there will be a disclcaimer notice somewhere, stating use at your own risk,
my car has a towbar and they always ask and are not supposed to let me in as it causes probs with the sensors, i take it anyway

jay82

Advanced Member

sorry to see what happened but i wouldn't use the power hose at a petrol never mind those other yokes

Tim J said:
Interesting to see Fifth gear do a test a few months ago and they reckoned that the car wash left the least amount of scratches etc, however, if you;

use a mitt
wash your blade ( which removes excess water )
and chamois after

then I fail to see how hand washing can produce the amount of damage Fifth Gear showed.

Hand wash FTW and use good products, the comments I always got after washing the black VT using Autoglym :xyes:

In response to flex - take photo's and draft an informative as opposed to an emotional letter to BP stating damage occurred with repair quotes (there may be a seperate company who take care of the car washing machines so get a contact name & number and send afore mentioned letter to them as well) but there could be some small print alongside the car wash machine which caveat's any damage

HTH

Cheers

Tim J
i think chamois are :xshot: to be honest

flex1984

Advanced Member
Trust me,il never be using one of the drive into ones again.

Ok some people might exspect a few marks here and there but the pics dont show how bad it is in real life.
It has somehow made cuts into the fibreglass :xconfused:

But like people say, Iv learnt the hard way i spose but gives me a reason to get the bumper sprayed now which it needed anyways because of all the stone chips.

hussain124

Advanced Member

jay82 said:
sorry to see what happened but i wouldn't use the power hose at a petrol never mind those other yokes

whats wrong with the power hose mate? i thought they were just like any other hose which car wash places use any way?

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
if i dont fancy doing it myself i take it to autoshine

they spray on foam then blast it off, no brush no touching, its fine in my book.

jay82

Advanced Member

hussain124 said:
jay82 said:

whats wrong with the power hose mate? i thought they were just like any other hose which car wash places use any way?
i was talking about the brush that they have with them, people use them on the wheels of cars and left on the ground so there covered in brake dust and dirt on the ground.

Decklogic1

Advanced Member
Your lucky more damage didn't occur mate, those things batter your motor badly.

Hand wash is the best way.

You also need to especially watch out for automated washers that have a wheel guide pulley system - many years ago I put my old Astra through one, I had 17"s and 40 profile tyres, it scratched my front wheel to buggery and cut a slice in my tyre! An expensive trip to the car wash - mind you serves me right for owning a Vauxhall in the first place. :D