Carbon Bonnets.......?

Ezza

Advanced Member
Just wondering why these bonnets need re-laquering on a 1/2 year basis compared to standard bonnets.......?

Ezza

Advanced Member
At the last meet i saw that alot of the laquer on the bonnet fades away over time! Suped and Yunsters both needed re-laquering i think!

Melly

Advanced Member
I use autoglym glass cleaner on mines and it has never faded one bit on my crx. I'm not so sure if i'll be buying one for my dc5 tho as it is black and the cf wont stand out as much.

Cheers
Melly

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
Ezza said:
At the last meet i saw that alot of the laquer on the bonnet fades away over time! Suped and Yunsters both needed re-laquering i think!
:? My BC one was fine.
I kept it waxed up & it was fine, no signs of any laquer/gel issues.

I wouldn't use an overly abrasive polish on it, but some finishing wax will help keep it top notch & shielded from the elements.

Chief

Advanced Member
Something like Klasse AIO would probably shift the yellowing effect without being too abrasive. I did see Ed's a few months ago and that came up ok after he used some of Will's polishing compound.

Ezza

Advanced Member
That sounds more re-assuring, as the dont quite look the same when the laquer is gone!

Suped

Advanced Member
Mine's faded pretty much now so I'm going to get Will to re-laquer the bonnet with some good quality stuff. Yunsters had his done and looks new again.

I think its the rubbish laquer used from factory to save money and maximise profits IMO.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
its Gelcoat from the factory which fades, laquer does not (generally)
i have kept mine as polished as poss and its starting to go a bit off colour but not too bad.

dazza

Advanced Member
I expect it has alot to do with looking after the bonnet.
I'm only guessing here but I would think that it's the UV rays from the sun that cause the fading and so a good UV proectant wax or similar would go someway in preventing this happening.

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
dazza said:
I expect it has alot to do with looking after the bonnet.
I'm only guessing here but I would think that it's the UV rays from the sun that cause the fading and so a good UV proectant wax or similar would go someway in preventing this happening.
Should be fine :wink:
Something like Collinite would be great followed up with some finishing wax.
Collinite lasts for months.

celox performance

Advanced Member
The carbon bonnet on my Prelude's badly faded in places, but it was an Ebay special :lol: . It cost me under £200 but someone said that a shipbuilders merchant can supply me something that will bring it back to life :D

LeeH

Advanced Member
A sealant will probably be better then a wax as some have UV filters in :idea:

Megs NXT, Klasse maybe?

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
A sealant will probably be better then a wax as some have UV filters in :idea:

Megs NXT, Klasse maybe?
You could seal it first, but Megs NXT compared to Collinite for durability etc is pants.