cars of 2007 fd2 & fn2

phil r

Advanced Member
I see jap performance mag has voted the fd2 & fn2 as best cars of the year even beating the new rb320 scubby , think most of it was based on the fd2 though saying one of the best drivers cars they have driven. could this car be the savour of the type r , especially after sundays top gear :?: :xdiscussion:

Newty

Advanced Member
I don't think sundays Top Gear will do too much harm to the Type R image....makes sense what Mr Clarkson said. May make Honda have a re think for future releases....

morgan

Advanced Member
Top gear had a point.

My DC2 when I got it was bonkers. Stripped out, raw, mad revs. Real 'typeR'.

Civic was a bit 'meh' after it - quick enough, but not really 'type R' - more 'Civic GTi+'. It was quieter than DC2, more civilized and didnt have the LSD. Plus the seats were designed for fat-bums - no side bolsters. They looked the part at a glance but were no match for the Recaros of the DC2.

New typeR seems to have gone even further. Softer. Quieter. More toys. Heavier. Just another GTi.

Yes it does cheapen what typeR did stand for , but this is a sales game , and typeR is just a label for the faster cars in the range now. It happened with the golf (getting progressively softer , heavier and slower with their GTis)

My DC5 is intended to be my last ditch attempt at a 'real' typeR - I hope it lives up to it. My DC2 is a tough act to follow.

Morgan.

PS - New Jap civic looks hopeful though. Proper hardcore (if a little odd looking with its 4 doors).

linzi94

Advanced Member
morgan said:
My DC2 when I got it was bonkers. Stripped out, raw, mad revs. Real 'typeR'.

My DC5 is intended to be my last ditch attempt at a 'real' typeR - I hope it lives up to it. My DC2 is a tough act to follow.
you may be a bit disapointed as the dc5 has no "smack in the face" vtec like a B series. :|

still a brilliant car tho! :D

Project

Advanced Member
But then again if you think about all the stupid restrictions that car companies have to now follow, Honda are still doing a top job with this FD2 to produce this much power in an NA 2.0l engine, if you think about it that way, you then start to realise that they are still raw, just raw for this generation, the 90's was a different game and you can never ever compare any cars that now come out in this day and age to cars that came out back then. Im sure that if the rules were the same as they were back then then the TypeR I would think would be Raw as hell

Newty

Advanced Member
echo the above....

There are so many restrictions and 'tests' for safety, road noise etc that making a full on TYpe R would be easier in the 90's than now.

Its a shame really, that full on balls out performance is getting harder to produce for the car co.'s

morgan

Advanced Member
Its not a power thing... 200 BHP in a civic is more than enough. Its about the 'dumbing down'.

No climate. No cd multi stack. No sat nav. No sound deadening. No boring seats etc etc. Follow the elise model - strip it out , make it quicker.
Old civic was £5K cheaper than the DC2 - accept some of the awesomeness had to give - but this thing is £18.5K !
Strip it out, fix the suspension and hey presto - its a typeR again.

Its a marketing prob, not a technology prob. They want it to be just a 'top of the range' model - not a race model. Its just civic GTi...
Shame. Damned shame.

morgan

Advanced Member
Why on earth has the word d * m n e d been auto-modded to d*mn ??? Thats an odd one. How is that offensive ? I miss the 90's... :(

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
morgan said:
Why on earth has the word d * m n e d been auto-modded to d*mn ??? Thats an odd one. How is that offensive ? I miss the 90's... :(
LOL :lol:

-----------

As for the Type R debate, the solution....... :?:

Stick with JDM, Think about it - all the best Type R's of the last 10 years are JDM only cars....

EK9, DC2 98 Spec, EP3 CTR and now the FD2 CTR.... :idea:

Project

Advanced Member
Totally understand what your saying morgan about all the girly extras, at the end of the day they are all things that are now expected to come with new cars, and at the end of the day Honda are out to make money, if that means 5% more sales by adding climate control their gonna add it, again comes back to the 90's where extras werent heard off :lol: you get what your given
At least Honda still make it so that the cars can still be modded, unlike some other companies where you need to be an aerospace engineer to tune
:xalright: i miss the 90's too

phil r

Advanced Member
andy has a good point stick with the jdm always seems to be better ,how does the new fd2 compare though feed back so far says its a brilliant bit of kit :)

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
200BHPCARS said:
morgan said:
LOL :lol:

-----------

As for the Type R debate, the solution....... :?:

Stick with JDM, Think about it - all the best Type R's of the last 10 years are JDM only cars....

EK9, DC2 98 Spec, EP3 CTR and now the FD2 CTR.... :idea:
errr....what about the DC5, you pagan :lol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
was gona say NA1 R and NA2 R

Also car companies dont have restricions on suspension hardness or sound deadning, OR ride and handling. They have just gone soft in Uk it seems.

DC5 engine dont have the B KICK but boy is it a good engine. once u get used to it going back feels underpowered at times.

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
As i understand it the B18 and K20 Vtec kick is a result of the speed of the cam profile change over. The kick is because the engine has to shut off for the mechanical Vtec system to operate, there is less kick in the K20A because Vtec system operates faster.