Cars you would have over a turbo dc5

ste01

Advanced Member
Type K said:
Ha ha arnt you mr funny man completely missing the point I'm getting at.
I personally believe the dc5's only downfall is it is underpowered that's why I have stated a turbo one would be the complete car IMO. Ask the guys who have supercharged their's, they love them even more.
The only reason I have started this thread is to see if there is an alternative and so far I'm not convinced there is, once again purely my opinion and everyone else is entitled to give there own if they disagree.
......sorry I got lost after you said ask a supercharged DC5 owner about how good a turbo DC5 is.

Edit: I should add, in case you miss the point. I say that because power isn't everything, it's also the characteristics..350bhp turbo behaves different to 350bhp supercharged.

Regards,

Mr Funny-Man

mark type r

Advanced Member
In terms of an all rounder, there is nothing that compares to a DC5 IMO

Apart from not being made as a traffic light warrior, it ticks every box.

I want another and I've tried other cars after selling mine. I still want to come back.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Looks quality mate.

Saw one today in Dover same colour but not as nice condition.

Parked next to this a few months back.

dotty

Advanced Member
It didn't look so good a week after I sold it though..

400bhp and a 19 year old new driver.. Was always going to end in tears.

G Man

Advanced Member
Would be interested to hear more about your experience with the Evo, Dotty.

Recently I've been looking at Evo 8 MR's

Not that looking really means anything, I've been looking at 911 GT2 RS's also lol

dotty

Advanced Member
They are good cars, fast of course but the novelty wore off with me quite quickly, you are always conscious that they will empty your wallet at any time with a fault that is costly. They are thirsty (sub 200 miles to a tank) and need servicing every 5 minutes. Not long ago I was toying with an Evo X again but after a long hard think I decided against it, they are also proving to be problematic. Evo 8MR are nice but they are getting on now too and nice examples are hard to come by. I may be biased but I think the DC5 is a better car to be honest.

dotty

Advanced Member
Here's what I thought of the X

Test Drive Evo X 330 SST

So another car on my short-list, unexpectedly however was an Evo X, now I have read up on these over the last couple of days and have concluded that the model I would most likely be interested in is the 330SST.

So I looked online and found one 20 minutes away..

It was advertised as a 300 SST but is in fact a 330 SST, so I popped along.

First impression were " I love the blue!

I got given the keys and took it out..

Initial thoughts when I sat in it were " is this an Evo" having owned a VI in the past it was obvious this car was designed with a bit of comfort in mind. Buttons everywhere, little cubby holes etc

Lovely Recaro seats, I turn the ignition..it sounds nice no noise but some flashing lights and initially confusing display panels, but after having a fiddle around it was all plain sailing, the GSRs also comes with a decent head unit, Rockford fosgate sub is standard and a very good (from what I read) sat nav system, climate control etc etc, the boot space was not great but it was good enough. Adequate space in the rear for passengers, not that I tend to carry many.

On to the g/box, the three modes you can select are Normal, Sport and Super Sport. The harder you drive, the further up the sport ladder you'll want it ;) - DSG will change up for you, even in manual mode, if you are near the red line. SST doesn't. It will only change to prevent the engine stalling and, in Super Sport mode especially, the changes are almost violently aggressive. Obviously I selected S-Sport.

So I went out, I let the car warm up, whilst doing so I listened out for knocks etc as you do, nothing could be heard, the car was comfy and not bouncing around too much?"! Is this definitely an Evo?

Once the car got warmed up, I decided to see what all the fuss was about, I chose a suitable road for this, a combo of dually's, normal b-roads and back lane twisties!, on to the dual carriage way off a roundabout, I planted the loud pedal first thoughts were "Holy F*ck".. no lift off on the throttle, flapped the paddle straight in to 3rd, and it is flying.. REALLY flying :lol: I gave the anchors a test from there and it stopped in quick time! Brembo brakes btw.

I then gave the car a launch, no slip, no slides just brutal power.. Incredible! On to the back lanes, this is where I thought I may need to air a bit of caution.. Naaah let's go for it, see what is can do? it manoeuvred the bends magnificently, gave me plenty of confidence even though I was new to this paddle shift system, a quick down change and away you go, relentless car but with comfort to go with it.. It is worth noting there is no cabin intrusion, even though this model has the HKS system it is not intrusive at all, in fact I had to put the window down to hear it properly. The roads were a touch greasy but I still felt happy in making progress where safe to do so..

So true to Evo form this greeted me: which cut short my test drive, by all accounts the car was only just above the E marker when I took it out, and I had been in S-sport mode.

I popped the box across in to "D" auto mode and pottered back, I let the turbo cool down, then had a look at my MPG.

Impressive huh?! That is the only negative point with these cars, the MPG when pressing the loud pedal - The smile on my face kinda made me forget about that though!

In summary then :

Is this car a candidate for the Tegs replacement? Hell yes it is. I like the fact it is not too in your face, it has a degree of comfort to it, and it goes like stink - Oh and has 4 doors. For what I use a car for now, it is financially ok for me to own a car like this. I also like the fact it has an auto function for when you are on a long journey or just need to potter about in town. I know in the evo world a lot of people have said that this is not a true Evo, this that and the other, but it is definitely a nice place to be! Having said that, and as I have said before there is something special about the Type R marque to me, as I drove home I gave the Teg a good hiding and it still brings a smile to my face.

I wont be looking about until the summer of next year though, next on the test drive list is an FD2, but I have a feeling I may be getting some insurance quotes for an X. :smt047

dotty

Advanced Member
FD2

At present I drive an EP3 with minor mods, but I have owned and driven various Type R's in recent times. The review mainly makes comparisons between the EP3 and FD2.

I drove an FD2 this morning for around 70 miles on a mixture of B roads and dual carriageways/Motorways from Newbury to Gloucestershire, I am astounded as to how good the FD2 is, the handling is immense and I am not just saying that to be a cliché JDM fan boy it really is!

Credit is of course due to the one I was driving having the AST coilover upgrade which is a much better set up than stock, it is also less 'crashy'. Please note I say this from having read about owners who have gone from stock to AST set ups i have never been in or driven an FD2 with OEM suspension.

It handled like my old Evo tbh, no exaggeration on that front. It lapped up sweeping bends and roundabouts, and gave me so much confidence when driving progressively through some twisties, no under-steer felt when powering out of bends. You have to love LSD's. Why oh why did Honda not fit these to all Type R's? they really do make a huge difference. Today the roads were nice and dry, I have not driven the car in the wet where I guess things would perhaps be slightly different? I imagine with some added braces it would make the handling even better than it already is.

The other big noticeable difference between the EP3 and the FD2 is the lower down torque, it seems to just pull and pull and the induction noise is quite pronounced you find yourself near the limiter point fairly quickly, around town it was a nice place to be too I did not find it 'jerky' like often the EP3 can be in lower gears at low RPM.

As for the steering feel, you can actually feel where the steering is wanting to go and which way the wheels are pointing! we all know the EP3 can be a bit vague some times with the EPS system but this is not the case with the FD2.. Again another tick in the box.

Inside the cab it can be fairly noisy, and on the dual carriageways it is not the quietest of environments to be in, but at the same time it was not too overwhelming either I would say it was quieter than my EP3 is. I think it is safe to say it is a car you can't drive slowly in, I was often caught out with the speed I was doing..

It is a very spacious machine too, plenty of room and visibility on the road was excellent with a nice big windscreen, the rear view mirror gave plenty of visibility too, even with a big wing fixed to the back of it. All the controls and instruments are all easily accessible from the driving position. There are plenty of 'cubby holes' for storage. The seats are very good too, similar to the DC5 Recaro seats.

The gear changes are very slick too which is a trait with the Type R One thing I did find weird at first was the dash (speed/revs display) but I got used to it pretty quick. I did find the VTEC indicator a bit tacky but I could certainly live with it

If anyone is considering one of these as their next car or is thinking of buying the UK FN2 then my advice would be to go and drive the FD2 first, I think you will be pleasantly surprised..

I make it pretty well known that I am not the biggest fan of the FN2 Civic, having driven it in the past it did not give me the grin factor I was expecting, the Mugen FN2 did of course but then that comes in at £35k (crazy!) whereas you can get a used FD2 for £16-18k depending on mileage - I would opt for the FD2 without a second thought, it will certainly give you the grin factor and the exclusivity, I can count on one hand the amount of FD2R's I have seen on the roads.

It has certainly got me thinking about my next car which will most certainly have four doors, but will it be VTAK or boost

Oh and the fuel gauge does not go down nearly as quick as an Evo's from speaking with Drew he sees on average around 300-330 miles out of a tank of V-power which is similar if not the same as an EP3 depending on how it is driven. Servicing costs are similar to that of the EP3/FN2 which is another plus point.

It was Drew's FD2 that I drove today and it was on 32000 miles, for anyone interested in buying one it will appear on the Litchfields website very soon it is an excellent car and has been looked after well, it has the added bonus of having the AST upgrade, oh and a Mugen radiator cap

I must admit I was fighting with my inner demons as I was very tempted to buy it from him.. but I do not want to be stuck with two cars! - I am glad I had this opportunity to experience the FD2 on a mixture of roads and can't thank Drew enough for that

A couple of pictures of it being dropped off at Litcho's;

Some of the other stock at Litcho's!

mark type r

Advanced Member
I've had 2 Evo 8MR 320's and 1 Evo X 300SST.

The X was a nightmare, never got above 20mpg no matter how you drove due to the SST always trying to drive, massive problems with it costing me a hefty bill.

The 8's weren't too much trouble at all, servicing wasn't much dearer than the Teg. Just the insurance can be costly.
Mpg saw 22mpg, 220 miles to the tank but on a motorway run to JAE saw 300 miles to the tank.

Never had anything major go wrong with them but you are conscious that something could go wrong and will be in the thousands when it does.

G Man

Advanced Member
cjh1981 said:
Always liked the look of the Subaru S206 wrx sti. Don't see many of these around

I quite like these too but they have the reputation of the engines being soft, unlike it's predecessors.