Caster increase

RichA

Advanced Member
Yeah I fitted them, transformed the stability of the car, would thoroughly reccomend them

Fez

Advanced Member
RichA said:
Yeah I fitted them, transformed the stability of the car, would thoroughly reccomend them
Did you have to cut the strut tower to fit them?

spooke

Advanced Member
Incase you haven't already you can also swap the coilover top mounts over so they angle inward, not 100% sure how much you gain but you can definitely feel the difference.

spooke

Advanced Member

Kevin85

Advanced Member
RichA said:
What did you do with the camber after fitting them?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Incase you haven't already you can also swap the coilover top mounts over so they angle inward, not 100% sure how much you gain but you can definitely feel the difference.
Interesting.. I did think about rotating the top mounts 60*, but the studs aren't equal distance so I stopped thinking about it haha. Just done a measure and two of the studs are equal, so what you're saying could work quite nicely. Do you have a photo of them, I would like to get an idea of where it puts the strut after the swap.

spooke

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
Interesting.. I did think about rotating the top mounts 60*, but the studs aren't equal distance so I stopped thinking about it haha. Just done a measure and two of the studs are equal, so what you're saying could work quite nicely. Do you have a photo of them, I would like to get an idea of where it puts the strut after the swap.
Here you go, hope they help. I did this on Mike Williams' advice, definitely a worthwhile thing to do. (need to wash my engine bay!)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Nice one, I've seen people with this set up. Everyone I asked said they were from Area, so I figured they were selling them as part of their 'track version' Yellospeed's.

I'll be doing this first, as I already have the caster increase lower bushes. With the ones that Area sell, I would have 7deg. Big jump.

Mike, pipe up. What does this amount of caster do to ones dynamic camber? :p

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Spooke, what are your front geo settings with the top mount like that? I only ask as you're maxed out on the adjustment. Is it just top mount adjustment, or camber bolts as well?

spooke

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
Nice one, I've seen people with this set up. Everyone I asked said they were from Area, so I figured they were selling them as part of their 'track version' Yellospeed's.

I'll be doing this first, as I already have the caster increase lower bushes. With the ones that Area sell, I would have 7deg. Big jump.

Mike, pipe up. What does this amount of caster do to ones dynamic camber? :p
I noticed the difference to the feel and self steer effect, I'd like to know how much it's gained though - at a guess maybe -1.5/-2 degrees?

You can probably tell how much visually by looking at the tyres contact patch when turning, the following wheel will gain negative camber.

Kevin85 said:
Spooke, what are your front geo settings with the top mount like that? I only ask as you're maxed out on the adjustment. Is it just top mount adjustment, or camber bolts as well?
My coilovers are slotted so can control camber/kpi from the strut, overall I'm at -2 camber and 0 toe.

RichA

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
What did you do with the camber after fitting them?
I left the camber at zero on top and used camber bolts to achieve desired camber, I didn't want to mess around with camber at the top as it can affect how the track rods move under suspension compression and potentially increasing bump steer.

RichA

Advanced Member
Going from stock caster to using the caster increase top mounts made a huge difference, the car feels so much more stable and positive in the steering, look at clubrsx track chat and see how much everyone rates caster increase for this chassis, if I was keeping the car I'd have fitted the lower bushes too to try and net as much as possible

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I've read the same things re caster, but I would rather go in smaller increments if at all possible. I'm getting some bump steer, but some of that is from my front ride height. I'll be lifting it slightly on these next set of geo changes.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Is it worth getting these if upgrading from an OEM damper and if one doesn't do much track work or are they only beneficial on a track car?