Castle Combe Tue 24th June - Open Pit

jonster

Advanced Member
Booked with MotorSpotEvent. £199 for open pit is very good value. My fav track too. Will be a good chance to put the RBC through its paces for the first time on track.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I got the details through via Email Jon....

If I had a car... I'd be along at that price 8)

Hoping I might be able to go to Donnington next month.. if my temp EK4 Civic is ready in time...

Mike

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
It means that you're not limited to timed sessions. You can go out as many times as you want.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
MilanoChris said:
It means that you're not limited to timed sessions. You can go out as many times as you want.
So you can do 3 hot laps,go and let your brakes cool down.(OEM :oops: )

No drivers breifing? No,do's and dont's? :?

rick c

Advanced Member
£200! :shock:

I've been to Oulton and Cadwell both open pitlane and about £100 each. Is Castle Combe just really expensive?

celox performance

Advanced Member
rick c said:
£200! :shock:

I've been to Oulton and Cadwell both open pitlane and about £100 each. Is Castle Combe just really expensive?
I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to go to Oulton Park during the summer months and pay £100 for a full day and an open pit lane, more like £250-£275. In the winter you can go to Oulton for around £100 if you book early enough. I've just paid £140 for a half day at Oulton on the 25th June (open pit).

rick c

Advanced Member
Good point I always go in the winter. Sod going in the summer then, summer's for the Nurburgring :D

tron2k3

Advanced Member
chalkie said:
MilanoChris said:
So you can do 3 hot laps,go and let your brakes cool down.(OEM :oops: )

No drivers breifing? No,do's and dont's? :?
Yep you can come and go as you please.

You still need to have the briefings and the does and dont's still apply but they seem to be a little more relaxed than sessional events, I think it's due to the variety of experience levels you can get at some open pit-lane events. To be honest if it was my first time I would prefer to go on a sessioned trackday the fact you will be grouped with people that have similar experience on track and also the usual 20 min session lets you know when to come in (unless your engine or brakes are smoking :) ) and also gives you a chance to warm up and cool down, without worrying about race spec cars flying around when your trying to do a cool down lap.

jonster

Advanced Member
It's upto your own judgement how long you stay out with open pit. It also allows you to mix more with different cars out there instead of the same ones each session. A friend is going this Monday and paying £300 so I consider this quite good value. Still more than I'd prefer to pay of course. It was a choice between this event or Colerne (air field) on the 28th which is also great fun but cheaper at £129. Combe won out because I've never done open pit there.

Winter events are typically cheaper. Better too if it's dry (eg cool air=more power).

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
tron2k3 said:
without worrying about race spec cars flying around when your trying to do a cool down lap.

..but my car is "RACE SPEC" :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
jonster said:
A friend is going this Monday and paying £300 so I consider this quite good value.
That's the BAT day Jon.... it's that expensive... as they will only have 25 cars in attendance all day :idea: and Combe limits the number of cars on track at between 12 to 15.. due to local noise issues. :?

Jonny's idea to limit numbers and increase the cost.. to make it a premium day... but, then you should have lot's of track time.. with no or little waiting.

Not sure how many cars MSE are allowing on the day though :?: , but I'd except it to be more than 25 cars...

Mike

jonster

Advanced Member
Knowing you Mike you've probably got some discount arrangement going with BAT :) The event I was referring to is with BHP trackdays.

Every track day has to be balanced with keeping the missus happy with something so it's never cheap for me.

I'll let you know how I get on with MSE.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
chalkie said:
tron2k3 said:
without worrying about race spec cars flying around when your trying to do a cool down lap.

..but my car is "RACE SPEC" :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I meant with Race Drivers in them to :wink: :lol: :lol:

mark type r

Advanced Member
Good vid!

How do you think the two cars faired against each other? Was it a fair race due to mods?

jonster

Advanced Member
The FD2 was stock apart from a K&N drop-in filter and pilot sport tyres. Mine is extensively modified and runing half slicks. My Teg ruled the FD2 completely which is understandable. It's less evident from the video because I didn't want to pressue the FD2 plus I wanted to keep it in the frame for good footage. I'm pretty familiar with Combe too which helps. If I was to pitch myself against myself and the FD2 had the same half-slicks it would be a tough battle. It seemed to take the corners very well but the ride from inside looks very bouncy from the footage. More than likely due to the softer seats compared to mine.

mark type r

Advanced Member
jonster said:
The FD2 was stock apart from a K&N drop-in filter and pilot sport tyres. Mine is extensively modified and runing half slicks. My Teg ruled the FD2 completely which is understandable. It's less evident from the video because I didn't want to pressue the FD2 plus I wanted to keep it in the frame for good footage. I'm pretty familiar with Combe too which helps. If I was to pitch myself against myself and the FD2 had the same half-slicks it would be a tough battle. It seemed to take the corners very well but the ride from inside looks very bouncy from the footage. More than likely due to the softer seats compared to mine.
Cheers for the info :wink:

I must admit the FD2 looked stunning but i still prefer the DC5 tho :D

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Great vid Jonster, seems like you were barely trying :lol: sounds like you were shifting at about 7k.

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm having a hard time liking the look of the FD2 over the DC5 but it is growing on me. I'm not normally a fan of white but in the metal the FD2 looks a lot better than I thought it would. Performance wise I think it's very good out-of-the-box. I did have a passenger ride and was impressed but it's quite weird how different the power delivery is compared to the Teg. There's not much power to be had above 8k in mine so I rarely need to go that high.