Cat predicament.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Now I know a lot of you are running aftermarket manifolds which in turn decats the car. I was wondering how are you all getting through your MOT's? do some of you swap back in the standard CAT or do you all know friendly testers...

Anyway I'm going to be getting KPro for my DC5 in the next few months. So far I have an RBC waiting to go on and I'm going to solid fab soon to get a custom B pipe made so I can fit the Toda back box.

My question is regarding a decat, I'm still sceptical if I want to do it. I can get a spoon 2-1 and put that in and I'd ideally want to get that fitted when the car goes to solid fab but that would mean running with no cat untill I'm mapped which is going to be a few months away.

My second question is if I get pulled over by a copper one day or a VOSA checkpoint and they spot I have no cat, im buggered. I know its unlikely but it could happen...

So yeah I dont know what to do, keep the cat, get rid of the cat or maybe even a sports cat? Never really heard of them on a DC5 though.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Finding a friendly MOT tester isn't usually too tricky. But you're right, if you get pulled you run the risk of being caught. Its been known to happen but its unlikely so its a risk most are prepared to take.

I'm sure I've heard the spoon 2-1 is cat like in appearance so some choose this even though officially its still illegal.

Dan34

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Finding a friendly MOT tester isn't usually too tricky. But you're right, if you get pulled you run the risk of being caught. Its been known to happen but its unlikely so its a risk most are prepared to take.

I'm sure I've heard the spoon 2-1 is cat like in appearance so some choose this even though officially its still illegal.
Yeah I can find a friendly tester fairly easy! Good point on the spoon it does sort of look like a cat!

If I fitted the spoon it will be when I go to solid fab in a few weeks, and my car wont be mapped for a little while after that not sure if it will run too lean with it on before mapping.

dave7368 said:
you could get the Mugen manifold, they have a sports cat. over 2k though!
Haha, yeah that's not going to happen! :lol:

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Not many testers will be willing to pass you with no cat,

I have a buddy club header, i have to swap it out for my MOT. Its a pain.

I have recently required a spoon 2-1 so i plan on running that with the oem 4-2 to make it easier to swap out. I'll just need to get it mapped again.

At the end of the day its upto you if you want it tuned with or without cat. The hassle and cost of decatting probably doesnt out way the power gains.

If i could start over i wouldnt even mod the engine. Id do chassis, brakes and a shorter final drive. Hell i might even sell my mods off

Dan34

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
Not many testers will be willing to pass you with no cat,

I have a buddy club header, i have to swap it out for my MOT. Its a pain.

I have recently required a spoon 2-1 so i plan on running that with the oem 4-2 to make it easier to swap out. I'll just need to get it mapped again.

At the end of the day its upto you if you want it tuned with or without cat. The hassle and cost of decatting probably doesnt out way the power gains.

If i could start over i wouldnt even mod the engine. Id do chassis, brakes and a shorter final drive. Hell i might even sell my mods off
Interesting reply mate!

To be honest I'm tempted just to keep the cat in, yes I won't be getting as much power. But it will still be more than enough and a noticeable jump up from standard.

Decisions decisions lol.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've started to tell people this too. Costs so much to extract power and with that same outlay you can spend on wheels, suspension, FRSU, and even a final drive. Think it's nice to have about 240hp but anything over costs $$$$$ not that I regret what I've done ;)

Dan34

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
I've started to tell people this too. Costs so much to extract power and with that same outlay you can spend on wheels, suspension, FRSU, and even a final drive. Think it's nice to have about 240hp but anything over costs $$$$$ not that I regret what I've done ;)
Haha, well I've done the wheels, suspension and FRSU sort of. Not sure a final drive is something I want just yet.

I'm not really sure what figure is achievable with the cat in place as not many people do it it seems :lol: But i'm sure a map with my current mods plus the RBC will be noticeable once mapped.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
i would imagine you would maintain good torque with the cat.

i lost torque and power low down when i switched to the buddyclub header and k100 and thats mapped too

misterteggy

mike.williams said:
i would imagine you would maintain good torque with the cat.

i lost torque and power low down when i switched to the buddyclub header and k100 and thats mapped too
Did the car really lose power with the Buddyclub stuff, is that a header and decat in 1 piece? Ive a seperate Buddyclub mani and decat on my Dc5 and Fitsubu from the cat back, I put the standard exhaust manifold and Cat back in for the Nct/Mot and I find the car too quiet with the standard stuff. My teg is remapped to 230bhp, I dont think i noticed too much of a difference in power driving the car between the 2 set-ups.

Changing the exhaust and cat in and out isnt too much hassle, if there 2 seperate pieces and you have a way of getting the car up high enough, I think its worth it jsut for the sound!

Dan34

Advanced Member
I still don't know what to do! haha

Going to solid fabrications tomorrow to get a custom B pipe made so that the Toda backbox can go on.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
If you dont mind swapping back to oem header every year then decat it.

Im the opposite to you at the moment got decat but dont know wether to get an rbc