CEL 14 - IAC Fault

ci_newman

Advanced Member
Hi chaps, a few weeks ago my CEL came on and having got the car to TGM it was diagnosed as a faulty idle control valve. Car was idling ok, so we cleared the code and I drove home without any problems.

I came to start her the next day and the error code came back and this time it was accompanied by some erractic idling. I did some searching and found a guide for cleaning the IAC (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.ph ... light=iacv) which I promptly followed over the last couple of weeks (work commitments, stuck bolts and ordering replacement gaskets meant I didn't do it sooner). I got the valve spinning nice and freely so put the car back together again this evening, turned on the ignition and *boom* the CEL is still there (despite having the battery disconnected) and upon starting the engine the erratic idle is still there too.

Before I simply buy a replacement IAC, is there anything I could have missed or any suggestions from anyone? I may get RAC to come out with homestart and recover it to TGM..

Any ideas anyone :( I miss my car.

ci_newman

Advanced Member
I've taken the intake to bits again this evening and the valve spindle is still turning freely. Haven spoken with Tom this afternoon, I conclude that it appears the drive motor / electronics bit has failed - Now to find a replacement!

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear you're having problems Chris. I don't know if it helps, but i'm going out to the states on thursday for a couple of weeks. If you need a part that an Acura dealer may have I would get it and bring it back for you. Hopefully you get it sorted a bit quicker than that though :roll:

ci_newman

Advanced Member
It's been over a year of painless driving since I bought it from you and this is the first bit of extra-curricula work I've had to do other than servicing :) I just wish I had more time to look at it!

Thanks for the offer, I'll see what Dave @ Steels has to say in the morning and get back to you :)

ci_newman

Advanced Member
To bring a conclusion to this, I ended up buying a replacement IAC assembly from Dave @ Steels for a mere £200 :cry:. It appears as if the original solenoid controller had failed .. Fixed the problem though :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
good price :shock: :shock:

its sad that the individual sensors arnt available, it used to be cheaper to buy a spoon one as it came with new sensors and was cheaper than from honda.

ci_newman

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
good price :shock: :shock:

its sad that the individual sensors arnt available, it used to be cheaper to buy a spoon one as it came with new sensors and was cheaper than from honda.
That *was* for an individual sensor :eek: As of last summer, you can buy them seperately from the throttle body.