Centralising steering wheel on column

Liam

Advanced Member
Hi all,

The track rod ends were changed on my DC5 before I picked it up. When I test drove the car, the steering wheel was at 2-3 o clock for the car to drive straight. Unfortunately, rather than adjust the tracking properly, the garage have taken the steering wheel off the column and refitted it in a different position.

Obviously, I want the steering wheel back in its correct position so I can get the car aligned properly, but after speaking to Tom @ FRD yesterday, he's told me there's no centre mark on the column for me to remove the wheel and get it back into the correct position. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Mark_teg

Staff member
There's no centre line markings. Just have your geometry/toe set up with the steering wheel centred and it'll be fine.

Liam

Advanced Member
Is my steering rack not off centre now though? I.e. I can't get as much lock to the right as the wheel has been moved to the left?

I wonder... if I get both wheels off the ground, maybe I could keep adjusting the wheel until I have an equal amount of movement left and right?

Rom

Advanced Member
You could count the turn lock to lock.
You should be able to tell if it's out just by turning the wheel as you sit normally

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk