Championship White dc5 cleaning help

darrenskinner1

Advanced Member
guys,

i have a white dc5, the paintwork is fairly good but i want to bring the white back to the whiteness it should be with a good shine, restore and reflection

what does everyone recommend?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Dont forget clay bar. ;)

Have a search in the detailing section matey, lots of pictures to drool over and tips etc to follow ;)

Get some pictures up when done mate

integraleo

Advanced Member
Yes agree on clay bar but that's for paint smoothness does nothing to restore the colour. I tend to clay mine twice a year....which reminds me I'm sure it's due again soon....or would that be 3 times this year.

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
As above really, I've used nattys paste wax on mine recently and it's the best it's ever been

dk123

Advanced Member
Similar to the guys above - when I picked mine up some the importers I gave it the once over that included snowfoam, claying, washing, polishing, poorboys sealant, Autoglym HD wax which I rate highly. I just searched a lot on here - loads of amazing advice on here from some incredibly experience ladies and gents! Look forward to some pics :)

Erm

Advanced Member
Always clay before polishing though! Dont want any contamination between the pad and the surface of the paint.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Erm said:
Always clay before polishing though! Dont want any contamination between the pad and the surface of the paint.
This. ^ Helps the polish and wax's etc bond to the paint better. :) I just do it Xmas hols, easter hols, summer before show season and im doing it as we speak to keep on top of it and just because really. Helps being a teacher, means I can time when I need to do my services and claying etc. haha

darrenskinner1

Advanced Member
cheers guys, without searching, whats the best way to claybar? ive used them before but not sure if i do it right?

integraleo

Advanced Member
Bilt hamber clay for 200 is around 10-12 quid from eBay or opie oils. Best thing is the only lubricant you need is water. Can't really go wrong just keep it well lubricated and keep moving the clay over the surface until there's no resistance any more. 200g can be split into 4 sections and unless it's really bad should only need one piece to do whole car.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Great thread this. On my other car which is a blue MX5, the colour on the bonnet and side panels looks dull and when cleaned doesn't have that lovely shine the rest of the car has after cleaning. Will a clean, Meguirs Ultimate Compound, polish and wax as posted above be enough to bring the colour and shine back or will I need some other product like a colour restore etc?

integraleo

Advanced Member
Above will be enough,it's actually the ultimate compound that will have the biggest result in restoring the colour as it's a cutting compound.you can go over the panel 3 times if you wish as it's very mild,the polish will do just that make it shine and the wax is just for protection

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I can't rate these guys highly enough:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

No affiliation, buy your products wherever they are cheapest but the car cleaning advice is excellent. It's a lot of reading to learn every step but worth it if you are serious about getting the best finish.

As said above it's the polishing step that will give you the finish you want. Just look at all steps prior to this stage as being proper preparation for this stage. If you don't prep properly you'll just make things worse as you want the paint surface as containment free as possible.

Machine polishing will give you the best finish but if you really can't afford one be sure to only buy the polishes approved for hand polishing or you won't be getting the full benefit. Many polishes need a lot of work to properly break down and give the finish they can provide. Some you just simply can't break down by hand.

The polish you buy very much depends on the type of paint you have. Jap paints are generally soft so you should stick to mild polishes for the majority of your work switching to medium for particularly poor areas.

Linus I'd recommend a medium polish on the panels you mentioned once properly prepared.

After the polishing stage you can use finishing polishes with fillers in if it has deeper swirls and then a good quality sealant to finish.

The professionals suggest sealants for white and wax for darker colours although often a sealant can be called a wax and vice versa so do some research.

We all have our favourite products but I won't endorse any as there will always be others that say something else is better. Just experiment with a few products people on here mention and figure what works best for you.

Hope that helps :)

Linus27

Advanced Member
Just want to say a massive thank you to the tips and advise today. Went and bought the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and all I can say is wow. My little blue MX5,which had faded bonnet and front wings has never looked so blue and shiny. Totally amazing. Did the whole car, from wash, compound, polish and wax and it looks incredible so a massive thank you. Still a few white blemish's on the bonnet but overall, it's about 85% better than it was before. I can't wait to try it on my CW DC5 now :)

Thanks guys :)

donzooo

Advanced Member
Mines is getting a go over with Meguairs M205, glaze then natty's paste wax within the next couple of weeks so will post before and after shots.

Rom

Advanced Member
White is never a good start in all honesty. Especially when its a creamy white.

But clarity is the foundation of any decent finish. You can wax and clay to the end of time, but if they car has swirls etc, it will never look great.

The side on the right looks whiter, and gives a better reflection. Despite being no cleaner, no wax or anything different the the left. It just has better clarity of finish because its been compounded. (Its hard to show 50/50 shots on white, and i am no expert!)

You have to have a good base to start with. Once you have this, then you can keep it looking nice a lot easier. That goes for anything that affects clarity. So bonded contaminants will also give poor results.
Get a clay mitt, these reduce claying times considerably.

Products i use are as follows.

Zaino Z2
Zaino Z6
Zaino Z8
Naviwax Ultimate
Poorboys Diamond White
Megs 105
Megs 205
Megs Ultimate
Iron X
Various Clays / Mitts

Obviously not all every time!