Change Spark Plugs

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone got any tips/advise before I proceed with this task?

I heard NGK are the OEM replacement and should be done every 75k. Can this be confirmed?

Any watch outs before proceeding with this job and does anyone have any pics they can post up of a plug which is in need for replacement. I will take mine out over weekend to check before buying new.

Heard they can be ceased too and to be careful when taking them out to stop debris dropping into the combustion chamber. Any advise on these two points?

What are the torque up settings and if I buy new from NGK will the GAP be set already or will I need to check before fitting?

Are there any legs in swapping out the HT leads at the same time and if so any recommendations?

Thanks Guys =;

mikegsi

Staff member
its a spark plug mate, the principal for changing them hasnt really evolved much over the last 30yrs or so :lol: :D

recommended change every 60k, though some (myself inc) change every 30k or so

oem ngk is as good as any, no point spending vast amounts of money on the likes of hks etc, esp when there has been reports of the tips of the hks ones falling off/crumbling

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
true true but any comments on the questions denoted below?

"Heard they can be ceased too and to be careful when taking them out to stop debris dropping into the combustion chamber. Any advise on these two points?"

"What are the torque up settings and if I buy new from NGK will the GAP be set already or will I need to check before fitting?"

"Are there any legs in swapping out the HT leads at the same time and if so any recommendations?"

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
true true but any comments on the questions denoted below?

"Heard they can be ceased too and to be careful when taking them out to stop debris dropping into the combustion chamber. Any advise on these two points?"

"What are the torque up settings and if I buy new from NGK will the GAP be set already or will I need to check before fitting?"

"Are there any legs in swapping out the HT leads at the same time and if so any recommendations?"
I've never come across a seized one and you shouldn't find any debris in with them as they are sealed by the coil pack.
You can add some anti-seize compound to the thread of the new ones.

I torque mine by feel...usually finger tight and then an extra 1/4 turn. If you do want to torque them its 25Nm

Each plug has a coil pack and not just a HT lead. No harm taking them all out in one go but I usually just do one at a time.
The gap will already be set on new plugs...remember they are iridium tipped and not like the old school ones which was affected by the gap distance

HTH

Nick