CHANGING GEAR AT HIGH REV

HI :roll:
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE DC5 A COUPLE WEEKS AGO,I AM QUITE NEW TO THE V-TEC THING
WHAT I NOTICE IS WHEN I IN 1ST GEAR AND RAVING OFF TO UNTIL I GET TO ABOUT 7000-8000 RPM AND THEN I CHANGE GEAR TO 2ND,WAT I NOTICE IS THERE IS A BIG CLUNK,ITS LIKE A BIG PRESSURE FROM THE ENGINE PUSHING BACK,ITS NOT THE GEAR BOX CAUSE WEN I SAW IN THE BEST MOTORING AND A JAP MAN ALSO DRIVING A DC5 TOO ,HE SEEMS TO CHANGE THE GEAR REALLY QUICKLY,SO I DID THE SAME AND THIS CURE THE PROBLEM,DO U THINK WEN U ARE REVING HIGH AND THEN U PUSH THE CLUCTH IN TO CHANGE THE GEAR THERE IS A PRESSURE BACK FROM THE ENGINE UNLESS U DO IT QUICKLY OR AM I NOT CHANGING THE GEAR AT THE RIGHT TIME WITH THE CLUTCH

T666YPR

I think it's because it's an ultralight flywheel and the revs drop quickly.

The faster the change the less you will notice

Alternatively "double declutch" (?sp?)

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Also be aware that there is a well-known "issue" with a 'clunk' when changing into 2nd with many Honda/Acura boxes - Check out THIS thread

thanks boys for the replie
wat i ment is that wen u change gear at high rev (8000 rpm) ,just as u change gear there is a big pull back from the engine like a big vibrate shot forward,then wen u ingage into gear its ok,biggest effect is from 1st gear to 2nd gear. :oops:
Do u think the dc5 needs the clucth do be pushed right down or 3/4 way,my last car was a evo and it only needed to be put down half way to change the gear??

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi beefcake,

In THAT case I agree with Simon - At 8000-8500rpm you'll be banging upwards of 200bhp through two wheels and when you engage the clutch that drops to zero. The difference between driving an Evo/Scooby etc and a Type R is the optimum rev-range. Turbo-monsters generate optimum torque at half and power at two-thirds the revs at which we generate the same (as well as being heavier and splitting their output through three diffs and four wheels) and along with the lightweight flywheel this makes ours more immediately responsive - The VTEC is designed to rev quicker and this means that the revs drop off equally quickly when the power is disengaged.

Double declutching and clutchless changes are the ways that racing drivers maintain revs between changes and maybe you should research those techniques if you intend testing the limits of your performance :D .

Hope this semi-technical explanation helps...