Changing OEM Seats

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi

This past weekend I have finished the install of my new seats :idea:

So I now sit in Sparco Evo One's, in red of course \:D/

First of all can I say a big thank you to Jonster & Nick (mate of mine), for his help and advice, as he has these fitted to his DC5, Cheers m8 :xgrin:

I modified the original OEM sub frames, so that I could keep the OEM slide rails, thus mount the adjustable Sparco side seat mounts to them. You can of cause by new sub frames as well.

The removal of the OEM side mounts from the sliding rail, is difficult, I was lucky and got a local Engineering company to do mine (well I do spend £15K-£20K a month with them at work :!: )

I then mounted the Sparco Side mounts to the OEM sliders with Nuts (locking type) and bolts in three points, and tightened & torque them up.

The next sage was fitting the adjust mount points, this is best done before you install the seats, otherwise, like I found with one, you have to get to some very difficult and hard to reach places :xconfused:

Next was mounting the seats, be careful and I had to use Penny washes to achieve the correct spacing, so as not to over tighten or stress to the location points in the Sparco's :?

Hope you like them, they should be very good on the track next year :lol: , Just got to refit the four point harnesses now 8)

Mike

Anyone want to buy a set of Red OEM Recaro's :?:

Trung

Advanced Member
How much weight has it saved over the standard Recaros :?:
Is the seating position higher or lower than normal :?:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Trung said:
How much weight has it saved over the standard Recaros :?:
Is the seating position higher or lower than normal :?:
Not sure on the weight side, forgot to measure them :( But estimating them, I would say they are 1/3 of the Recaro's

The position can be changed, I personally prefer a higher position, also noticed when lower, the seats recline back a bit, I also prefer an up position :wink:

Mike

Jevo

IIRC the Recaros tipped the scale at just over 20KG each and those Sparcos are around 6kg each so quite a saving over all !!

Jonster knows the exact weights....

Jevo

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi All,

I found out that it's the rails that weigh the most. A Sparco EVO plus rail came to 11Kg's. So, the combined saving, running a pair of Sparco's, is approximately what I achieved when I took the Recaro passenger seat out at Castle Combe. This impressed me so much, that I was hooked on the weight saving idea from that point onwards. I also took the spare wheel out (13Kg) on the day.

If I was to do it all again I would probably have just bought a Spoon sliding rail set to save myself the bother of modifying OEM Honda rails. I gather Spoon only sell the driver's side rails though. Having said that, I can't understand how they can sell this rail kit in the states.

Jon

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi Caroline

Yes I am, but I've just sold them I'm affraid :cry: If the sit changes I will let you know :wink:

Mike

dan the man

Advanced Member
when i got my dc2 i thought the seats were ace! proper loads of hold and style? why spend on new? just for the weight saving or cos the dc5 seats are not up to scratch? dont think they would be personally as type-r's being type-r's!! anyway....dan :wink: