Cheap Brake Pads

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Ive had a search and aware that good pads arent cheap! Problem is i have only just picked up the car and its left me kind of skint. Fronts need replacing so its best to replace the rears at the same time? I cant afford Mintex's, Ferodo DS2500's etc but i still dont want crap/standard pads. Am i best off with OEM brembos for now or are EBCs Yellow/Red or any other cheap high performance pads worth a look?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... 3ef7649e63

What do you guys think? Or if you know where i can get some let me know :D

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
I'd stick with the OEM pads mate if your funds are tight...!

They are more than capable for fast road driving.

just contact dave @ steels or your local honda dealer

I just got rear discs and pads from york honda for £150..

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Was thinking that, is it best to do them at the same time? If not my budget is about £100 for just front pads. Ive conacted Dave already, awaiting a reply. Some OEM brembo pads going for £40-£60 on the bay of e, good price?

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
-Woody- said:
Was thinking that, is it best to do them at the same time? If not my budget is about £100 for just front pads. Ive conacted Dave already, awaiting a reply. Some OEM brembo pads going for £40-£60 on the bay of e, good price?
I wouldn't treust flebay to buy parts for my car and especially not brakes. I can't remember how much i paid for the OEM pads but they are cheap, Honda sell them at a heavy discount. I would call Dave from Steels rather than PM if you want a very quick answer or ring TGM and get some posted out.

Seriously the EBC pads will be pants dont use them.

raz786

Advanced Member
Front pads are only between £40 - £45 from Honda IIRC, best buy if things are a bit tight IMO :wink:

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Thats pretty good then. Worth upgrading the ronts then or doing both front and back OEM?

raz786

Advanced Member
For normal road use the OEM's are pretty good, even for the odd track day i think, plus it won't break the bank so you can start saving for the mods \:D/ \:D/

Mark_teg

Staff member
As already said!! Dont buy EBCs, they are shocking in my experience (bar greenstuff on a mk5 fiesta). OEM are better and are same price / cheaper from Dave Steels than Ebay..
If your discs are not warped, they dont need replacing. And your rear pads should be fine really depending on cars milage obviously..

raz786 said:
For normal road use the OEM's are pretty good, even for the odd track day i think, plus it won't break the bank so you can start saving for the mods \:D/ \:D/
Are OEM really up to a trackday?? I've been told they'll melt :?

Where's the best place to purchase Ferodo DS2500's anyway? (sorry to gatecrash you'r thread OP)

raz786

Advanced Member
I'm sure people have run OEM's on track, i doubt they would melt, but then again it depends on the driver, a noob to the track like me would probably kill them :lol:

Type_R6

Advanced Member
If the backs are ok dont worry about replacing them, you dont need to do them both at the same time :)
I could do with some new front pads aswell soon, the difference in prices is quite alot. I can get genuine pads for £35 but then going to mintex is like £130 :? Is there a big difference in performance for fast road no track days?

Zen1

Advanced Member
Type_R6 said:
I can get genuine pads for £35 but then going to mintex is like £130 :?
I'm after some new front pads too and don't know whether to upgrade or stay oem. Where are the oem's £35 ??

cosmic_chi

how about HAWK pads from TGM? i dont know what they are like but im sure somebody on has had them fitted at some point, although they are about the same price as the Feredo DS2500 and are road legal unlike the Feredo's

blueguy

Resident J's whore
IIRC, a few of the guys who were the first to have DC5's in the country used Hawk pads on track with good reviews (I think the ones you are talking about are either the street performance or ceramic ones though). I'm pretty sure there were some really old posts around in the the track chat section.

And tbh, without trying to sound like a fan boy, if TGM are selling them, I think that's a recommendation in itself :) . I also believe the front bell/rotor brake kit Buddy Club have developed/tested to sell uses Hawk pads :)

I was certainly considering Hawk pads and didn't get them in the end because I'd decided to go all out for lots of track time and upgrade discs and pads; plus I wanted them to match (Dixcel).
If I kept my car for just the street I would have gone for either the Hawk ceramic or Dixcel Type-M pads as they are reported to increase your braking power, are kinder to your discs and produce A LOT less dust (this particularly was the selling point for me).

I'm by all means not saying other pads are inferior especially as they are more popular, but just what I was considering after lots of (reading) research. Note the 'reading' as well. I can't say from real life experience. but I trust the sources :p

Cheers,

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I've just had some Ferodo DS2000 pads installed at TGM better than OEM but not as expencive as the DS2500 pads.
Tom reckons there suitable for fast road and occasional track use.