Cheap Custom Exhaust!

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Just got quoted £320 fitted for a 3" catback stainless exhaust from Exhausts UK in Sheffield. Said I wanted it to be ~98db for track days and was told that was no problem. Can't believe the price :p

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Ollie

No offence..... but how good will it be ??????

If you need a custom one, I'll have a word with some peeps... but it will be more expensive...

You could always also try Haywood & Scott... they know their business...

Just my thoughts...

Mike

rick c

Advanced Member
Don't bother mate. A friend of mine had an exhaust fitted there and it didn't go down too well.

For a DC5 I'd buy one of the recommended marques.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I've got the Spoon at the moment and it's way too loud, plus I won't get on a trackday with the spoon as its 107db! So I'm looking for a new exhaust. I had a Fujitsubo in mind first, but thought I might aswell go for a custom 3" as it's better for the charger. Have just looked at Hayward & Scott website and they look pretty good. Will give them a ring tomorrow.

Mike, what exhaust are you running? If you could speak to someone that would be great. I've got a DC Sports Race manifold on at the moment, but will probably be changing it to the 4-2-1 part of the Jackson Racing manifold. I haven't got the 3" collector straight pipe that goes onto it (The bit where a race cat would be), if you know what I mean. So I will be needing a custom build from that point backwards, with a max of 98db to be ok on track.

Was abit dubious about Exhausts UK as they seem to be associated with Max Power, but they have a good write up, so don't know?!

mikegsi

Staff member
how much noise do you want?

spoon b pipe with oem back box isnt much louder than stock and is as good as any setup, i got better gains with this setup than with a hks silent hi-power

jambo

Advanced Member
hayward & scott are a very good company and will build anything aslong as you have enough money. There not the cheapest out there but you get what you pay for. I remember they had a feature done on the company in banzai a while back.

j30l

Advanced Member
I had one fitted to a different car from exhaust uk. I wouldn't have another from them. The quality of the welds are very poor. The fitment was crap and hung low. It also fell off twice!!!!!

I've heard alot of bad things about them from friends and others. This was about 3 years ago. They may have bucked up their ideas.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
how much noise do you want?

spoon b pipe with oem back box isnt much louder than stock and is as good as any setup, i got better gains with this setup than with a hks silent hi-power
98db as I want to be able to get on track without any problems. I was thinking about Spoon b-pipe with RMO1A backbox. The only thing is, I'm looking to get a bigger diametre exhaust to free the gas flow more, because I'm supercharged. I'm looking for a 3" exhaust as the Spoon is only 2.5".

Thanks for the heads-up on Exhausts UK. Can't afford to get a bad job done and have to do it again. Will get a quote from Hayward's tomorrow and make a decision from there.

JDC5

Charged DC5
hey ollie

I went to hayward and scott for a quote.. they are one of the best custom exhaust makers, the weld is top notch, but for a rebuild on my B-pipe, they quoted me too much..lol

they are expensive but i know the quality is good, so i've heard..

I went to a place in basildon, called viper exhaust, they made me a b-pipe for about £150 and was very happy as i was in the workshop with him looking at how he makes the pipe... I told him i was a fussy customer and he said, well come in and have a look lol

i will get you the company contact number mate

Jimmy

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Cheers Jimmy, that would be great. The Basildon area is good for me as I can go there on the way to the folks in Southend.

Initial D

Advanced Member
Hi mate, I don't know all the in's and out's of it all but i would have thought have a word with tgm just for some advice? Some of the jasma catback's have big baffle in them to comply with the sound regulations. So can be more restrictive than some people would think. I hada spoon street on my dc2 for the reasion as you want. The n1 was to much for the track and a bung just kills engines and high rev. The street was a good all rounder. As you have the spoon b pipe then that will go strate on and flow as it should.

HTH just my 2p worth :)

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Rung around a couple of places and this is what I was quoted:

Hayward & Scott £550 + VAT
Viper Exhaust £375

When I spoke to Viper, they advised I only go for a 2.5" exhaust as the supercharger requires backpressure?! Anyone heard of this before? Maybe I should go for a 2.75" as I'm only running 9psi.

JDC5

Charged DC5
ollie-dc5 said:
Rung around a couple of places and this is what I was quoted:

Hayward & Scott £550 + VAT
Viper Exhaust £375

When I spoke to Viper, they advised I only go for a 2.5" exhaust as the supercharger requires backpressure?! Anyone heard of this before? Maybe I should go for a 2.75" as I'm only running 9psi.
Hey ollie.. i guess you have been busy lol...

I expected the cost to be like that at hayward and scott... tbh... my friend had his cossie there 1 year ago.. and said that the work was top notch, then he told me about viper and he said that i should try them as in his views their work are both the same, but viper is cheaper, he said he wont go to hayward and scott due to it costing an arm and a leg now..lol

but like i said, i have used viper and im 100% happy with the job and service i got.

I did read some where from the RSX forum about backpressure

JD

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Jimmy,

what size exhaust did you get made up? So you've never had any problems with the exhaust viper made up? Does it fit well, not hanging low or anything. Any chance of some phots? Just trying to get an idea of the quality of their work. I'd love to go to Hayward & Scott, but I don't think I can afford near on £700 quid for an exhaust.

Cheers,

Ollie

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hey ollie...

I just had him make me a new b-pipe, i dnt think he hade it bigger... as at the time i got it done i never had or was thinking about gettin the car supercharged... Where it bends on the b-pipe, mine was flatten due to speed bumps.. so i got a new one.

I had no problems at all.. Yes.. it fits fine, no hanging and the welding is spot on.. i will get you some pictures later on the week mate...

Yeah, Same here... I would have love to gone to hayward and scott, but they charge double the amount then viper. Plus i drove there, told them my problem, and he had the car up on the ramps and spent 2hours tops to finish.. now thats service!

HTH

Jimmy

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Cheers Jimmy, think I might chance Viper then. Really can't afford Hayward's, especially after the charge cooler!

fonz600

Advanced Member
Back Pressure is important for the K20 N/A. When your charged you don't rely on that back pressure too much.

I've really looked into it and I'm gonna go for a 70mm (2.75") ID exhaust for my 9PSI JRSC this year. I think 2.5" will be ok but your Rotrex so probably running more power than me so I'd go to 70 as well if I was you.

You can actually buy 70mm exhausts off the shelf for your car and if you look at ClubRSX they are about to release a 70mm exhaust based on the T1R 70mm exhaust but with noise in mind so should be pretty quiet.

I'm watching with keen interest.

Also the Spoon ain't a 2.5"(63mm) ID it's 60mm if I remeber right. I Know it's only 3mm but it does make a difference.

My concern is having the right manifold for the setup though due to the outlets of most manifolds being 60mm.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
The ClubRSX one is going to be expensive though surely? More than a custom one from Hayward & Scott anyway. Cheers for the info.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
OK. Will keep an eye on that then. Just had a look at the thread and it looks like a good exhaust.