Check engine light help!

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
So something weird just happened.

Got in my car to drive to work, jumped in turned the key fully instead of halfway and letting the lights go out, realised what I was doing so stopped, the car half fired.

Turned the key halfway, waited for lights to go out then started as normal, car fired perfectly.

Drove the car off my drive, check engine light comes on. I stop car, turn off then back on and it stays on.

Drive to work with the light on, car drives perfectly, not tried vtec tho. Any ideas??

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

This could be the oxygen sensor fitted in the exhaust on its way out. There're two in there, the primary and the secondary. You will need to get a fault code reading to be certain. There are different ways to get the code.

If you or a friend have the correct OBD port reader and the Torque OBD app on a phone, that will highlight the fault and the option to turn the warning light off.

There is also the paper clip method which has been discussed on this site.

Failing the above you could get a mechanic to plug into the diagnostic side of the system to generate the code.

I had the same issue as you. The code it produced was correct and a new O2 sensor sorted it.

Regards.

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
Hi,

Apparently the car had a new o2 sensor last year so i am hoping its not that! i will read the code and see.. fingers crossed.