Check your NGK spark plugs!!!

ollieh17

Advanced Member
So this happened at a track day Saturday..20minutes in!! Check your plugs and replace if you are unsure where they came from!

GillyDC5

Wow thats nasty, where did you get yours from?? Any further damage caused??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ollieh17

Advanced Member
GillyDC5 said:
Wow thats nasty, where did you get yours from?? Any further damage caused??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Came on the car when I bought them, shoulda have got them swapped over!Few others have had the same. like them it seems the broken off bit came straight out the exhaust ports. Had a borescope down there and a magnetic tool.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nightmare! Thankfully it's nothing major.

I always thought NGK were very good plugs? I've got them in mine fitted by Grinspeed.

berg

NGK are pretty much market leaders worldwide, I would guess that this is either a freak failure, or a cheap fake ebay plug

Reason ill only ever buy plugs from reputable dealers, theres too many fakes out there especially iridiums

Youre lucky to get away with that and have no damage

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Heard of the fakes. Not saying all ngk will have a problem but if they are a unknown quantity they are worth checking.

Suprised how many people have said they have had the same thing happen. All come off fine. One guy even took the head off to find the bit had been blown out.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Grano said:
That is disturbing. How many miles had they done?
Not 100% sure, will need to check the paper work. My fault for not changing them out tbh. Just thought i'd post this so others can check theirs!

MaxMacGechan

ollieh17 said:
No way, what happened?
Seemed to have got trapped inside the cylinder by the piston and worked its way up and down until it had gauged it so deep that cylinder was holding no pressure.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Surely it can't all be down to fake NGK's? There must be an issue with NGK plugs I reckon.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Yeh im not sure mine were fake tbh. Looked like they may have been in a fair while. I heard denso ones had an issue with ground falling off

ste01

Advanced Member
It's just what happens. Think how many plugs these companies make...it's just a fact that there will always be a small number of failures. It happens, just make sure you check/change them regularly to try and cover yourself

Teggs

Think how many plugs these companies make...it's just a fact that there will always be a small number of failures.
Send it off to NGK for an explanation?? Pretty sure they would be happy to assist and arrest potentially damaging reputation threads like this, and hopefully give you a lifetime supply of (genuine?) plugs!