Check your radiator for cracks!

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I was messing about with my arches today and removed the bumper. This is what greeted me. It seems to be bleeding through. Not clever.

I am now in the market for a radiator. I would rather not pay through the bunghole for a rad that has a big painted area showing the world how racecar you are, but is actually made in the same Chinese factory as a much cheaper one, and besides it would be behind the aircon rad anyway.

Dear readers, I would like a good quality radiator that doesn't cost the earth. What have you fitted to yours? Please advise. X

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Mishimoto for me. ;)

It worked out cheaper to buy a better, bigger dual core rad with a lifetime warranty, and upgrade the hoses at the same time than it did to buy one from Honda.

Its fitment is better too, doesn't move around with a slight push from your finger like the OEM does, just a much better fit. Only issue is like you said, its covered up. But never mind, my needs were greater after getting stranded at the top floor of a multi-storey, 100 miles from home, with coolant urinating over the floor from a split rad like yours :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Ouch, what a horrible place to get stranded!

Reading my post back, it seems like I've got something against branded items, I don't. I just like good quality items and don't like paying extra if there's just as good available for less. I'm not tight, I'm just against scene tax. :p

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
yeah, the rac van just about got in the carpark too. Lol oh no I didn't mean it like that, but id priced up oem, and this came at a good deal. Was jono at respirit that sorted it fof me,...did I mention it was the Christmas holidays too? Haha it was all I could get reasonably quickly, at a busy time of year. But if it's quality you want and peice of mind, then you can't really go wrong with the mishi. Double the thickness, works and fits really well, and if it ever goes wrong, its a free replacement:) even crash damage heaven forbid :)

integraleo

Advanced Member
The tegiwa one is mishimoto copy and 150 notes not bad money. Mine being fitted this week

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Please don't take this the wrong way, Leo, but I really don't understand how Tegiwa can openly produce copies. Traditionally, counterfeit goods have been shunned and outcast. Why should they be allowed to profit from products without having to go through the costly stage of research and development. It should be called fake. not copy, fake. Fair enough if they want to take a product and improve it, which is what Tegiwa might have done, I don't know. It just seems there are too many products coming out of the Tegiwa stables that are all too close to other established products for my liking. Again, this isn't a jab at you, I appreciate your input. I'm a firm believer in each other their own. x

This might seem to go against what I said in my original post, but it's not. I've no problem in paying for quality, what I don't like is overpaying. Think of me as the middle bear, it has to be just right. ;)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
yeah, the rac van just about got in the carpark too. Lol oh no I didn't mean it like that, but id priced up oem, and this came at a good deal. Was jono at respirit that sorted it fof me,...did I mention it was the Christmas holidays too? Haha it was all I could get reasonably quickly, at a busy time of year. But if it's quality you want and peice of mind, then you can't really go wrong with the mishi. Double the thickness, works and fits really well, and if it ever goes wrong, its a free replacement:) even crash damage heaven forbid :)
They're not too pricey, lifetime warranty is a big draw as well. Shows belief in their product. :)

I had a look on the mishimoto uk website but they only list for the RSX, which is weird considering it's a .co.uk website. I don't suppose you've got a part number somewhere in your emails?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Its the same bud I believe, i can have a look, but won't be until the weekend. Could message jono? Hes got them listed on a thread in the traders section somewhere thinking about it.

And yes I agree on the price, could not believe my eyes when i enquired. Meant I could upgrade everything in the cooling system for better and still have change for the price honda quoted for just the rad. And again, the fitting is perfect. Very impressed

integraleo

Advanced Member
No offence taken, I'm sure many of us use tegiwa intake ( gruppe m copy) tegiwa manifold ( toda copy). I understand your stand point and to a degree I agree with you. But getting parts at a fraction of the cost as long as the quality is there is more important for me than my morals lol.

Sam.

I had a mishimoto, but now have a Koyo, the build/quality is leagues ahead so good I would happily hang it on my wall rather than hide it away.

I found a lot of swarf in the mishi which concerned me a bit.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Sam. said:
I had a mishimoto, but now have a Koyo, the build/quality is leagues ahead so good I would happily hang it on my wall rather than hide it away.

I found a lot of swarf in the mishi which concerned me a bit.
Spot on. I would only ever bother with OEM, or Koyo if I needed an improvement. I went through a list of radiators with my DC2 Turbo as I needed a half size rad and a lot of "quality products" were absolutely cack.

Sam.

The Koyo OEM rads are very good if you don't want to plump for a full ally one.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Hmm thats odd, ive had no trouble with mine atall, certainly no swarf, all welds are spot on, fitment is better than oem, everything lined up wonderful, and been on for over 3 years with no corrosion or anything. I did some research before i bought mine too, and couldn't find any negatives really? Not trying to debate which is better or anything, but this has shocked me totally, lol ive got nothing but praise for mine? Certainly keeps it cool. :) im intrigued. What issues have other people come across?

But one in my cousins dc2, a tripple core rad and again, nothing but praise for that, that was 4 weeks ago too.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Strange that yours was so poor, Sam. How long ago was it, maybe they've changed the suppliers/manufacturing house since then.

I ordered a Mishi the night I posted this up, it arrived today. Some of the welds aren't F1 spec, but they're definitely not going to fall apart any time soon. It's far from a work of art, but the price was right and I needed a quick solution. If it keeps things cool under heavy load and doesn't leak, I'm happy.

I almost said function>form, but I didn't. Lucky escape on pretending to be a cool kid.

-james-

As a side note, and having just replaced my rad with a Mishimoto one.. When you upgrade to SFS silicone hoses at the same time - the Mikalor hose clamps in size 37-40mm are too small, you'll need the 40-43mm ones!

OliverV

i went with the BWR rad and hoses, worked out pretty good and the welds are good too!! my rad was cracked too.